Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Constructive Criticisim

The sword that cleaves huzzah! Pierson's Avatar
    Originally posted by Weiila
    only reason that we ever get angry here at the media board is if somebody bashes somebody else for no reason, or somebody starts yelling at us for not loving his/her work immediatedly.
    HI Rodger, welcome. Look up a guy called RPGDude and you'll see what we mean.
    Last edited by Pierson; 09-28-2003 at 02:17 PM.

My only problem with critisism is not getting enough. It drives me crazy when I show someone something and all I get is wow it looks good. I depend on the critisism of others to help me write without it I wouldn't know what is good about it and what's bad so I'd be forced to continue writing it the way I write it. If someone suggests a change and I don't make it I'll give them a clear reason why I wan't it to be the way it is. Just some babble that I felt like writing because I've been on edge about nobody saying anything after reading my fic but actually reading it. You know who you are. You can't stop it from marking the views every time you check it out. Muhahaha.
    The Orakian Hideout Webcomic

Videospirit, Making the World a better place since 1988

Videospirit's origin story, please read and review

Making a roleplay on the agora is kind of like walking into a bar looking for a challenging fight. "Gimme your worst, I'll take you all on!"

Manly Fish Joker Loire Of The Turks's Avatar
    Yeah, I hate that too.

I mean thanks to the moderators and the people here, special thanks to Weiila, my critisisms always are good about my fics, constructive I mean.

But the thing I DESPISE is that no one BUT Weiila tells me if it's good or if they didn't like thisandthat...

I have to open up a thread here on the boards to get comments.
    I don't give a fuck if it's dark or not!
    I'm harder than me tryin to park a Dodge!
    When I'm drunk as fuck,
    Right next to a humungous truck in a two-car garage!(CRUNCH)
    Hoppin out with two broken legs,
    Tryin to walk it off!
    "Fuck you too bitch, call the cops!"
    I'm-a kill you and them loud ass motherfuckin barkin dogs!!!

-A statement of the angry Esthar President

This might seem like a stupid question, but bear with me, I'm new here.

The majority of these comments seem to be focused exclusively on fanfics. So the question is basically like this, in two parts.

Is music okay for this forum, and does it have to be game-related in order to be acceptable for posting? I know that a substantial amount of people listen to the kind of music I write, and I'm always looking for an outlet to get my music out.
    Most people don't know what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it. - George Carlin

America might be the greatest country in the world, but that's like being the prettiest Denny's waitress. You still have a lot of work to do. - Doug Stanhope

I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to burst all the floats. - Richard Belzer

This is the media forum. not the literature or fanfic forum. Everythings good. There are only so many stories around because they're much bigger projects and stay around the top longer because of it. There have probably been more songs and poems contributed than there have been stories but they only get like 6 posts and then they are forgotten. Go ahead and poist whatever you write as long as it's decent (not quality morally. Bad work being posted is good because it gives something for people to critisize constructively.)
    The Orakian Hideout Webcomic

Videospirit, Making the World a better place since 1988

Videospirit's origin story, please read and review

Making a roleplay on the agora is kind of like walking into a bar looking for a challenging fight. "Gimme your worst, I'll take you all on!"

Damn straight, people. I think with criticism it's really important to praise anything that they've done well. Like for instance I subnitted a fic to Weiila once, Jerry Springer FF8 STyle, and it was in scriot format. I now look back and think, 'Dude, what a shit heap!' because that what it reall was. She emailed back, told me that she thought it was funny, and proceeded to tell me what was wrong witrh it. That really made me feel beteer. Thanks Weiila! ^o)

Alpha-Female of the RPGC Staff Weiila's Avatar
    You're welcome :)
    New fanfic quote:

"I am indeed a spy, milord, but not for the enemies of Mordor or the Master. Instead, I serve a different master, a group called the Protectors of the Plot Continuum. Milord, have you ever heard of 'fanfiction'?"
    "Aye. A particularly odious form of sorcery, by all accounts."
    /.../
    "Yes. And have you heard of 'fangirls'?"
    "They are but a legend! A fearful legend, but a legend nonetheless."
    -Architeuthis of the Protectors of the Plot Continuum and High Nazgul of the Ringwraiths
    From "Intelligence Briefs for the PPC: The Beginning" by Architeuthis

Quote Originally Posted by darkling
    Orochimaru has joined the Baby-Sitter's Club.

Critism is what I deal with in my high shcool that I go to. I am use to it by now. I have a lot of practice my freshman year.

Chanaur Z. Majere
    The funny thing about constructive criticism is that I never get any. All of my friends read my stories and all the do is gush over it. "Oh, this is so awesome! I can't believe that you wrote this! I thought you'd be more into bloody rants about murder and mayhem!"
    Gaaah! That drives me nuts! I'd rather have somebody tell me what to do better than that, anyday! The whole time I've had Dark Legacy up on this site, I've had only one letter from a reader, and it was gushing. (Don't get me wrong CastevaniaGirl, it was greatly appreciated!)
    But, if there was one thing I would really like, is to have my work reviewed in a responsible manner.
    Soooo..... Who's read Dark Legacy, and has something to say.

Don't all raise your hands at once......

Post-Zeppelinist Anarcho-Samurai 6969ballsballsbal Ramza's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    Deep.
    Very constructive. :)

Mad Duck
    Hi I'm new to the site. Okay maybe I should rephrase that. I'm new to the forum not RPGC Archive. And after reading this site for what must be like 10 years plus, (I was still in high school and was on my way to college at the time and now I've graduated with a BA in english) I glad that I found that you guys do C&C. I've tried subbmitting in the past and I was told my stuff was good but I could never find out why it was never added maybe after so many years and two rewrites I'm ready to try again. It's nice not hear it nice I like what you did but then not tell me about major plot holes of doom that I only notice on my own read through weeks later or in one case as it was years later. I want to be told off about that kind of stuff. And I'll be the first to admitt that I can get defencive about my work but I still need to hear. Also I have a question I have a fan work that is in screen play formate would that still be okay to submit since I have intentions of turning it into a novel form?

Hi Talaie. First of all...WELCOME TO THE AGORA!!! :D Nice to have you on-board. Secondly, I see you're a writer. As you probably may already know (from reading this thread) much of the staff here have had some pretty bad experiences with some writers in the past, especially in the area of "constructive criticism." You should be aware that if you post your work up here, it may be deconstructed and analyzed extremely closely... and the people here will be straight forward with there responses! You said you were defensive with your work; so I strongly suggest you read the following thread (link) completely:

Link: RPGDude's Stories

Overall, I'm no writer... but I just thought it's best you know this now, than later! I apologize in advance if I've offended you in anyway... but I mean well! Plus I don't think anyone gives much (if any) feedback anymore. Good luck though!!! :)
    Last edited by helios19; 04-06-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Mad Duck
    Thanks helios19,

I've taken harder C&C from my college class mates than what RPGDude was handed so I think I can take what people are more than likely to give I also. What I ment by defesive was more to do with wild conjectures base on nothing in the story. Had one to many of those from peer reviews. Sometimes I see how they got there and go O' I should fix that other times I'm left staring at the page.

And, do you guys really hate script format that much?

Well, that's good to hear. If you really want to improve your stuff and get valuable feedback, I suggest you contact Weiila! She is probably the most knowledgeable in this area. Perhaps she can help you.

Quote Originally Posted by talaie View Post
    I've graduated with a BA in english)
    Did they finally give up on spelling and capitalisation in English departments?
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Mad Duck
    Quote Originally Posted by helios19 View Post
    Well, that's good to hear. If you really want to improve your stuff and get valuable feedback, I suggest you contact Weiila! She is probably the most knowledgeable in this area. Perhaps she can help you.
    I'll do that I've posted a fic on the forum I'm not sure how good it is. I trust my writing and all that. but the format is not one I use as often.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmarole View Post
    Did they finally give up on spelling and capitalisation in English departments?
    Now, is that the "constructive criticisim" this thread calls for?

Quote Originally Posted by Xwing1056 View Post
    I have to agree with Xwing here! I believe we should be more lenient in regards to spelling and grammar, as people from all over the world and of different ages would clearly be at different levels. I think simply guiding them would be the best start and if the insist on keeping old habits then perhaps a more direct approach may be necessary. I mean we finally got a writer after a long time... so we should encourage them, not deter them.

Quote Originally Posted by Xwing1056 View Post
    It's not polite, granted, but my point that spelling and capitalisation matter is valid. The internet is full of books and fics. Bad spelling makes it look as if you don't care enough about your work and there is the implication that if you didn't care to check your spelling, it is unlikely you'd have cared to revise your first draft. Everyone is going to make a mistake here and there, but persistent bad spelling is for many people grounds to dismiss a text. Especially when the author claims to have a BA in English.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Yeah, you're right! But like I said we should push them in the right direction and from there on the onus is on them.

I was just making fun of the ironic misspelling in the thread's title.

Why would that prevent you from writing an angry riposte? ;)

Thread Information