Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression.

Once a Great Tit, Always a Great Tit Skankin' Garbage's Avatar

Depression.

Recently, I've had a pretty shitty week. This comes off as odd to me, because nothing has gone wrong at all (Minor things, but they're things I should shrug off, like choking before asking a chick out, or getting ready to go to a rehearsal when there was no rehearsal. Big deal). But, I feel really...bad. It feels like I'm sick...but I'm not sick. It feels like maybe it's emotions, but I don't think I'm sad over something, and I have nothing to feel guilty about. And, it feels like maybe it's exhaustion, but other than being sore from a softball game, I'm not exhausted and am taking good care of myself.

After my bro picked me up today, I asked him about it, and he told asked me if it was a kinda cramped up-ish feeling in my chest, and it was. He insists that it's probly depression.

How do you deal with depression? Recently, I've been feeling depressed, and I don't know how to deal with it, cos I almost never get depressed.

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Spoiler: Magic (still) ROCKS!

http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/26/08)

Intellectual Love God
    There's no real easy cure. Just take it easy, listen to your favourite CDs and do something that isn't extremely hard but will productively occupy your time, like weight lifting or something.
    While this America settles in the mould of its vulgarity, heavily thickening
    to empire,
    And protest, only a bubble in the molten mass, pops and sighs out, and the
    mass hardens,
    I sadly smiling remember that the flower fades to make fruit, the fruit rots
    to make earth.
    Out of the mother; and through the spring exultances, ripeness and decadence;
    and home to the mother.

You making haste, haste on decay: not blameworthy; life is good, be it
    stubbornly long or suddenly
    A mortal splendor: meteors are not needed less than mountains:
    shine, perishing republic.
    But for my children, I would have them keep their distance from the
    thickening center; corruption
    Never has been compulsory, when the cities lie at the monster's feet there
    are left the mountains.

And boys, be in nothing so moderate as in love of man, a clever servant,
    insufferable master.
    There is the trap that catches noblest spirits, that caught -- they say --
    God, when he walked on earth.

- Robinson Jeffers, "Shine, Perishing Republic"

Demonic Petunia
    What helps me with depression is just time to my self.
    Yup...

walking into spiderwebs Xachariah's Avatar
    It's all in your mind dood, and thinking too much about it will only make it worst, just relax and get a nice 12 hours sleep. You're probably just tired.

Originally posted by Xachariah
    It's all in your mind dood, and thinking too much about it will only make it worst, just relax and get a nice 12 hours sleep. You're probably just tired.
    That's bullshit. I hate when people tell me that.

Just do something calming, and try to avoid stressful things. Get with some friends and ask if they want to go do something or just spend some time by yourself doing things you like.

Depression's not really something you can just shrug off from (this I know from personal experiance -_-; ). I suggest talking to someone you trust like your brother. Or maybe even prayer. I know that you're not a religious person, but I don't consider prayer as the "folding your hands by your bedside" as prayer. You just basically close your eyes and focus your energy on the Highest Light you can think of and *sincerily* talk(don't have to be all "Dear God, I praise you, blah blah blah amen").
    It couldn't help to visit a therepist or doctor, though. Depression for no reason can be a sign of a disorder.
    From me: There's a danger of being so opposed to narrow or close-mindedness that you become narrow or close-minded yourself.
    Originally posted by Green Mage
    "Today, I woke up and didn't know where I was. There was a lound resounding boom, and as I looked around, I saw the largest creature I've ever seen. I was startled at first, but the creature quickly ran off. I quickly got to looking for an escape, when it returned! It trapped me under a black sky, and everything went dark. I was scared. Then, out of the darkness, I felt something picking me up. I tried to move, but I couldn't. It pressed against me with such force as I've never seend. Even now, I can still feel the spot it held me. I figured it was the end for me, but for some reason, I found myself back in an area I knew. Maybe it was just a dream?"

Never be by yourself for an extended period of time. I've learned that.

As for curing it, well, just find something to occupy your mind. Read a book, play your favorite game, just don't stay inactive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral
    I don't get why it is most people think they can't have decent conversations with me. Do I sound like Conan the barbarian on the boards "URgh ARgh, EERRAAGHH Moo"?
    Hello, All! Don't forget this thread is here!

GG Crono 4: "Aim for the crotch" is the best slogan ever.
    GG Crono 4: For anything.
    GG Crono 4: Ever.
    GG Crono 4: In fact, existing products would be SO much better if they used that slogan.
    GG Crono 4: "Wiffle Ball: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Lawn Darts: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Tampax: Aim For The Crotch!"

Yeah, you could do that too.
    From me: There's a danger of being so opposed to narrow or close-mindedness that you become narrow or close-minded yourself.
    Originally posted by Green Mage
    "Today, I woke up and didn't know where I was. There was a lound resounding boom, and as I looked around, I saw the largest creature I've ever seen. I was startled at first, but the creature quickly ran off. I quickly got to looking for an escape, when it returned! It trapped me under a black sky, and everything went dark. I was scared. Then, out of the darkness, I felt something picking me up. I tried to move, but I couldn't. It pressed against me with such force as I've never seend. Even now, I can still feel the spot it held me. I figured it was the end for me, but for some reason, I found myself back in an area I knew. Maybe it was just a dream?"

Classic ClothHat flavor ClothHat's Avatar
    Aren't you graduating from high school soon? I know that depressed me and several of my friends. I think it was just the idea of saying goodbye to so many people that I'd known for so long. It could also be the stress of finals, I'm just shooting in the dark though as I don't know how strongly you react to these situations.
    Still rocks

Freedom is the only way yeah! GOD BLESS AMERICA's Avatar
    I like to chase birds around with my tank. Their squaks of torture remind that I have a purpose in life.

Intellectual Love God
    At least, they would if you hadn't stolen that idea from Aphex Twin.
    While this America settles in the mould of its vulgarity, heavily thickening
    to empire,
    And protest, only a bubble in the molten mass, pops and sighs out, and the
    mass hardens,
    I sadly smiling remember that the flower fades to make fruit, the fruit rots
    to make earth.
    Out of the mother; and through the spring exultances, ripeness and decadence;
    and home to the mother.

You making haste, haste on decay: not blameworthy; life is good, be it
    stubbornly long or suddenly
    A mortal splendor: meteors are not needed less than mountains:
    shine, perishing republic.
    But for my children, I would have them keep their distance from the
    thickening center; corruption
    Never has been compulsory, when the cities lie at the monster's feet there
    are left the mountains.

And boys, be in nothing so moderate as in love of man, a clever servant,
    insufferable master.
    There is the trap that catches noblest spirits, that caught -- they say --
    God, when he walked on earth.

- Robinson Jeffers, "Shine, Perishing Republic"

The Man called Wil Wilfredo Martinez's Avatar
    Monn Beam Girl has a point in that sometimes depression is a sign of something else. Just a few months ago, I started feeling incredibly depressed, for no practical reason- not since college had I felt that bad, and back then I was under a lot pressure, and now I was not.

Guess what it was? A condiment. No, seriously. At the time, I was trying a new condiment on my food. Apparently, I had an allergic reaction to it, and the simptoms were very similar to the ones I had back when I suffered from depression. It ocurred to me that the cause might be a change in my diet, after I read an article about how chemical imbalances in the body can sometimes cause depression. Since the new condiment was the only change in my diet, I stopped using it, and the effects went away.

I'm not saying that it has to be something similar in your case- only pointing out that if you feel there's no psychological cause for your depression, you should look for another cause. And like MB said, having yourself checked by a doctor is never a redundant thing. The worst that can happen is that they'll find nothing wrong.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Sijo

Makes music with the bloops and bleeps and whatnot Kagato Toujou's Avatar
    DDR

As said, keep your mind occupied. Do something that requires a lot of physical strength and focus, like bike riding up a hill, or weight lifting a lot of weight at once. As long as you keep your mind on something else, you should be okay in time.
    "Audaces fortuna iuvat" (Fortune favors the brave) -Latin proverb (Virgil, the Aeneid)

"Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hard-working, honest Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then--we elected them." -Lily Tomlin

Pokey
    When I'm sad, I don't even try to do any work. I go and play one of those mindlessly fun games that I used to love as a kid. It reminds me of better times. 8)

Feel better, SG. Things will look much better soon.

my entire life is pretty much depression itself....

but when i feel especially down, i just spend an hour or so on one of my favorite games, and keep reminding myself that someone is always having a worse time than me.
    *insert witty and/or humorous signature here*

play Doom, and make the minions of hell suffer mightily for your downward-emotional state. That's what I usually do, I even name the save game file after whatever the cause happens to be :P

A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.

I've felt those sort of feelings before SG. As CH mentioned, I know graduation has kinda had me down really, but some other events lessened that to a degree. Whenever I'm depressed, it always feels better to talk to someone about it. Holding it inside is definitely not good and only makes things worse. Just get it out. If you want to talk to me about it, I'm always willing to listen and see if I can help.
    Honest with outselves and with whatever is friend to us; courageous toward the enemy; generous toward the vanquished; polite--always: that is how the four cardinal virtues want us. -Friedrich Nietzsche, The Dawn

Lawyer: But what about that tattoo on your chest? Doesn't it say, "Die 984, Die?"
    Kagon: [conciliatorily] No, that's German for "The 984, The."
    Officer: No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

DDDDDDDDDDDDRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

*cough*

Seriously, I know what you're going through, only on a more extended timeframe. Pretty much everyone here has given good advice. Keep your mind occupied with something happy, if not just a good thought, then something fun. Taking out your wrath on things (in video games, of course) is a good one. I personally prefer fighting games, but shooting things is good too. ^_^
    majiwari shinayaka ni ochiru yami to tomo ni
    yoake tsugeru aria

shiroi hada ni mau akai bara ni kuchizuke o
    unmei no toge ga mune o tsuranuki kokoro wo

Pokey
    Any Grand Theft Auto game works absolute wonders! 8)

Bringing booblights back in style Zero's Avatar
    My cure usually involves either blowing a space empire or watching Family Guy, anything but sitting/lying on my bed and thinking into a grim spiral of depression. Besides, how the HECK can someone think about anything while watching Family Guy?
    Typical undead flirting: Roses are Gray. Violets are Gray. I'm DEAD and COLORBLIND.
    I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now. - Fei, after Xenogears

11!!!3gass3ml4n1m1lbus
    "When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity."
    - Albert Einstein

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Weiila: Huzzah! Another game I'll be able to play with my toes while drunk!

Flower of Chivalry Sir Percival's Avatar
    Remember that emotions, thoughts and behaviour all fit together in your mind like a triangle, with each of the three as one side. When one side changes, it affects the other two. Thus counteracting depression involves changing one of the three sides.

Most depressed persons find it easiest to change behaviour first, which helps them feel successful after they have accomplished something However, since I have a very hard time with motivation because my emotions are so strong and I cannot easily drive them out of my head. Instead, I use a different technique: I isolate myself (usually in my room) and dwell on my emotions. My emotions only have a certain amount of “fuel”; after a while, the fuel supply ends and they fade. Thus, by dwelling on the emotion, I increase the rate at which the “fuel” is consumed and exhaust it faster. There is no guarantee whether or not this technique will work for you, but it does for me, although it can be painful at times.

If one of my parents is present and willing to lend an ear, I sometimes use another technique. My parents know very well of my depression and know that the automatic negative thoughts upon which I dwell are irrational. Thus, they engage me in rhetorical debate and I end up losing since they convince me that my negative thoughts are irrational. That places new postive thoughts in my head. Because my emotions are so strong, I cannot easily convince myself (but I have managed to do it before with a lot of difficulty); I need someone else to help me.

If depression is actually seriously beginning to impair your daily routine, then consider seeing a counsellor or therapist.
    And if ye meet, yea, wheth’r afar or nigh,
    A lady fair that should your succour cry,
    Or damsel young that peril mayn’t avail,
    It you behov’th her welfare not to fail,
    If she require of you a knight’s servíce;
    Her worship whole ye shall warrant to kiss.
    Whoso a woman’s honour dare forsake,
    Shall lose his own. Fie, I pray Death him take!
    Ladies and damsels serve: this counsel hold,
    And worship shall ye have as bright as gold.

-Chrétien de Troyes (fl. 1180), The Romance of Percival, or the History of the Grail, Lines 497-506, Translated (and embellished) by me.

I need to buy those family guy dvds on amazon...

A cure for depression involves anything that'll get your mind off what you're depressed; particularly useful if you don't know what that is. I would suggest taking up a lot of classes. Music and such are good too. What you really need to do is put some serious freakin' thought into what's bothering you and deal with it (most people don't and thus stay depressed - they either don't think , which is typical or they don't do shit, out of weakness)

I really don't get why people are hesitant to leave HS... But then I wanted to get the hell out of there faster than I like to ban spammers.
    It's no measure of health to be well adapted to a profoundly sick society
    Too much angst sucks, seriousness is overrated, melodrama is comedy.

"I fear that one day zeppy will end up hanging himself by his wang from the ceiling fan out of despair for his wasted life" - a concerned citizen

If your only tool's a hammer, all your problems look like nails.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. - Ted Roosevelt

Every time I visit the Staff Forums, it's a new lesson in dysfunction - VE

"Bacteria is a secular attempt to explain away evil"

"Human life is a sexually transmitted disease."

A fascination with masked men. Evangelion's Avatar
    Depression is different for everyone.Trying to occupy your mind with things that you like to do is not easy.Quite often, if you're depressed, and you start playing a favorite video game (as an obvious example) then the fun and the motivation you would have had otherwise, is not there.Thus, you associate your favorite activites with prolonged depression.I also recommend dwelling on your thoughts and trying to figure out what is the problem, if there is any, and in time it will pass.I cant say how long, because it's different for everyone-levels and extremity of depression, techniques, etc.Once you're all the way down, there's no place to get but up, right?

Well, this place has padded walls...nuff said.
    Well, you could start taking out your anger on a punchbag. Or you could just take time to chill out with your thoughts.
    This post was brought to you by Lady Shadowz: High Priestess and Founder of Vincent Valentinism, Servant to the Almighty Playstationious, Tidus Hater, Newbie Conspirator, Pancake Addict, Coffee Drinker, and Hyperactive Brat.

Time for a few quotes, methinks:

"Trying is the first step to failure."- Homer Simpson

"Oh GAWD!" Yuffie, FF7

"AAAAHHHH! KILLER FLEA!"- My friend, The_Revenge_Seeker.....remember, the flea owns you ALL!

Keep on smiling, cause it really couldn't get any worse!

The Cult of Vincent Valentine: 3 members so far. Website on its way- be patient, dammit!

Yay for newbies!

depression sucks. Never had it (clinically) but I've been sad lotsa times. :p
    Just remember, joy brings strength to dead limbs.
    I almost feel guilty for saying it, but I've had an AWESOME week.
    I won a prototype yo-yo - w00t!
    anyway, hope it passes.

I Don't Bless Them
    This might seem really weird- but if you can get your hands on some hot peppers, that has helped my depression in the past. I'm really not sure why. o_o

If you like nature, you could take a walk around, sit on a rock or something, and just watch the sky, avoiding the sun of course. I sometimes can feel happy when looking around when outside and or just walking around the field near my house. Good luck in getting to your ole chipper self again.

Free RPGC. Ban Everyone. Kaiser's Avatar
    *enter KaiserVonDittohead*

It's dittohead time...

Originally posted by Sinistral
    I need to buy those family guy dvds on amazon...
    Hellz yeah. Me too...

What you really need to do is put some serious freakin' thought into what's bothering you and deal with it (most people don't and thus stay depressed - they either don't think , which is typical or they don't do shit, out of weakness)
    Right. One of the reasons why I think the occasional bout of depression is a good thing (if handled right) is that it puts you in a very good position to be introspective and analyze yourself and your life and discover something about yourself and how you think. Depression isn't something to get rid of or "make go away" as soon as possible. And this is why too much escapism isn't helpful; you just numb the pain and fail to address the problem, which only assures its eventual resurfacing.

However, a little escapism or distraction is good, if only to get you "up" or get you going again, so that you can "get over it" just enough to be able to look back and examine that the root of all that gloom is.

Physical activity is almost always a good "cure" for depression; the act of moving around and doing stuff helps. I don't know the physiology of this stuff (endorphins are probably involved somehow), but basically it's easier to be depressed and stay depressed when you're laying around being lethargic; it's harder to be depressed when you're out jogging (or walking, or chopping wood, or whatever) and your heart rate is up and you're moving and you're doing stuff.

I really don't get why people are hesitant to leave HS... But then I wanted to get the hell out of there faster than I like to ban spammers.
    Change is always stressful. Especailly big changes. Especially when one hasn't really been/felt prepared to make those changes or meet those changes when they are put upon them. Now me, I looked at High School as little more than a 4 year prison term for a misdemeanor or minor felony, and so I was glad to leave without looking back. But apparently, and this is only rumor and hearsay so I can't confirm it, but apparently there is a small segment of the population that for whatever reason actually ENJOYS those years. Weird...
    "If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."
    "It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for the winter, while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns....and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?"
    The Greatest Post Of All Time

Minimalist
    I've found that depression is different for everyone and therefore, so are the cures. The way I do it is to beat the shit out of the nearest object. Unfortunately, I end up punching the walls and fucking up my hands. I don't like doing things that I usually enjoy doing when I'm depressed because they don't seem as fun or as good and it seems to make me worse.

Thread Information