View Poll Results: What do You Prefer When Watching Anime?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subtitles (SUBS)

7 46.67%
  • Dubbing (DUBS)

6 40.00%
  • SUBS/DUBS... too many letters to care about! xD

2 13.33%

Thread: SUBS Vs DUBS (who's side are you on?)

SUBS Vs DUBS (who's side are you on?)

Hi Guys

I'm not sure whether this topic has been covered before, but I thought I'd start a poll on SUBS and DUBS :P But really, both of these have a significant effect for me when I watch my anime! Personally I prefer dubbed episodes over subtitled ones because I hate having to quickly glance at the bottom of the screen to see what the characters a saying and miss some key events in the video.

Now, I know what a lot of you are going to say... most of the time the dubbed voices sound weird and completely out of place! I for one agree with that to a certain extent (e.g. the original Ash Ketchum sounded like a proper kid... and the hoenn/sinnoh Ash sounds like his doped up on some really nasty stuff!...in my opinion ) For this reason, I'm very cautious of that and only select dubbed anime that are done properly and appropriately.

Anyway, what are your views regarding SUBS/DUBS?

I guess I have never seen a bad dubbing before. If the characters are not speaking english their acting is completely pointless (in my opinion, anyway). Also, it is always neat when a familiar voice actor pops up.

There is a weed joke in here somewhere, please find it.
    The Brevard County doctor who was arrested for groping a woman while dressed as Captain America with a burrito in his pants will not go to jail.

Really? I've never seen a good dubbing before. Maybe it's partly the written-for-a-different-language thing, but they just all sound so unprofessional and forced.
    ロウレット ロウレット

ウ~ マホッ!
    ロ-ルケ-キサンデ- サンドイッチマンデ- 気分次第でいい
    期待半分 率イ-ブン 明日はこれから
    ネコとか (あれ!) すすきが (あれ!)
    手まねきしてる
    何もない (あれ!?) つまんない (あれ!?)
    今日はさよなら!
    まわるまわってく (アイ ヤイ ヤ!)
    わたしが太陽 (アイ ヤイ ヤ!)
    まわるまわってく (アイ ヤイ ヤ!)
    緑の電車も (在来線!)
    まわるまわってく (アイ ヤイ ヤ!)
    グルグルまわってく
    宇宙も 感星も ル-レットシアタ-
    あれ?
    Roulette Roulette

Ooh~ Maho!
    Rollcake Sunday, sandwich Monday, depends on the feeling
    Expectations are half, odds are even, tomorrow's just begun
    Cats (Olé!) and silver grass (Olé!)
    Are beckoning
    Nothing to do (Olé!?), it's so boring (Olé!?)
    Good-bye for today!
    Going 'round and 'round (Aye aye yah!)
    I am the sun (Aye aye yah!)
    Like the green train (Service line!)
    Going in circles
    The orbit of stars and planets is a roulette theatre
    Olé?

The Man called Wil Wilfredo Martinez's Avatar
    Oh, there have been some good dubbings; check TV Tropes for a list of great Voice Actors (in both languages.)

Personally, I don't care very much, as long as I get to understand what is being said- and as long as nobody's voice is particularly bad.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Sijo

Quote Originally Posted by Cless Alvein View Post
    Really? I've never seen a good dubbing before ... but they just all sound so unprofessional and forced.
    Dragonball Z has always been commended for it's dubbing, even many pure otakus prefer the dubbed version over the subbed version.

I've mostly seen mainstream anime, that is probably why I have this opinion.
    The Brevard County doctor who was arrested for groping a woman while dressed as Captain America with a burrito in his pants will not go to jail.

Eh, I could go either way on this. I haven't really seen enough Anime to make an good argument. I guess it depends on the show. Some shows have really good dubs, but I guess I haven't really come across really bad ones. To be honest, most of my bad experiences come from bad game dubbing.

To be fair, I'm fine with either one. But there are cases where I prefer one over the other, like FMA:Brotherhood, where I liked the subs better.

"Today's the day...the day we bring the end." -??? (Me?)

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Ultratech87 View Post
    Eh, I could go either way on this. I haven't really seen enough Anime to make an good argument. I guess it depends on the show. Some shows have really good dubs, but I guess I haven't really come across really bad ones. To be honest, most of my bad experiences come from bad game dubbing.

To be fair, I'm fine with either one. But there are cases where I prefer one over the other, like FMA:Brotherhood, where I liked the subs better.
    You don't have to select which ones best, just the one you personally prefer. But yeah, like you said some people prefer either depending on the anime. However, it would be best if everyone could select their favourite... I'm kind of investigating that's why! :P To be honest I'm quite surprised that dubbing is in the lead!

I actually used to turn down the color on my T.V. and watch Cowboy Bebop with the japanese audio.

Mi-Mi-Mikuru Beam! Dragons Revenge's Avatar
    You know, I don't get what makes the "great" dub voice actors so great. 99% of them sound unnatural. Ironically, Hollywood has done much, much better with Anime dubs than those who actually make a career out of it. The Ghibli dubs are hands down, the best in the industry. Outside of that, there's just a smattering of good dubs. To be fair, I've heard some crappy Japanese performances (Spirited Away, yuck).

I used to be pretty militant about this a few years ago. Now it's just a personal preference. I just like listening to the language, I find it's more natural and most of the time the Japanese vocal sounds (whatever you call it; intonation? timbre?) fits the character types better. Especially for female characters.
    CHECK THIS RIFF, IT'S FUCKING TASTY!

With me it's the opposite, I find high pitched female/kid voices annoying, not enough not to watch though.

Mi-Mi-Mikuru Beam! Dragons Revenge's Avatar
    Sure I understand. I just find those voices to fit the characters better.
    CHECK THIS RIFF, IT'S FUCKING TASTY!

oh zing on those characters

A lot of linguistic elements can't be handled by translation, especially puns or statements relying on gendered speech, but subbing leaves the original audio intact while providing a translation, which really offers the best of both worlds.
    "I believe in my tusks.
    Long live freedom and damn the ideologies"
    -Robinson Jeffers, The Stars Go Over the Lonely Ocean

With liberty and justice for all Kairi's Avatar
    I don't know why anyone would commend this. Except the fact from what I've heard the original voices are not so hot. But all I remember of the dub is hating every moment of it. I think I was spoiled from amazing Spanish dubbing.

This being the DBZ dub.
    Last edited by Kairi; 10-22-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    < Ezboarder > Use protection, and the only thing you test positive for is being awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Arac
    That's a low blow; you know I'm lactose intolerant, and can accordingly only skim your whining, for health reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth Katana
    Ah yes, the good old "you're all pieces on a chessboard that I bought and own" bit. One of my favourites, it is. It almost makes one wonder why you're posting on a message board about video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi View Post
    I don't know why anyone would commend this. Except the fact from what I've heard the original voices are not so hot. But all I remember of the dub is hating every moment of it. I think I was spoiled from amazing Spanish dubbing.

This being the DBZ dub.
    I believe the English dubbing for the dragonball series is what received praise from many.

Spanish dubs are very good, those are the first I ever heard (by which I mean Latinoamerican Spanish, which is different from Spanish, err, spanish, same way as British English differs from American.) The style of translation has varied over the years; back when I was a kid there was an emphasis on giving things a "cultural" flavor, that is, the characters sounded like they came from Mexico and not Japan (even if the series clearly was set in Japan!) Later on they became less specific. However they always were acted right, which I guess is what matters, especially during climatic moments- nobody wants to listen to, for a example, a death scene where the voice actors sound bored.

I Don't Bless Them
    WHOSE (x30)

Condensed
    -Cless
    Last edited by Cless Alvein; 10-28-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Genericangstyposter View Post
    WHOSE (x30)

Condensed
    -Cless
    It's much more easy on eyes, condensed! xD ...Cheers Cless!

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    Subs, if only due to the fact that it is literally impossible for some shows to be dubbed. (I'm looking at you LOGH.)
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

You don't have the motivation for a SUB until you've finished a DUB. HA! I knew it was somewhere in here.

It is impossible for subtitles to be superior to a well done dub if you do not speak the original language.
    The Orakian Hideout Webcomic

Videospirit, Making the World a better place since 1988

Videospirit's origin story, please read and review

Making a roleplay on the agora is kind of like walking into a bar looking for a challenging fight. "Gimme your worst, I'll take you all on!"

It depends on the anime. I have seen some good dubs and I have seen some horrible dubs. Don't laugh at me but I watched some Yu-Gi-Oh in Japanese and it is horrible, whereas I prefer the Japanese version of FMA over the dub.

I do prefer a good dub over a sub, though. I think it's just better in terms of not having to read subtitles. Also the quality of the localisation tends to be better, since a lot of fansubs are quite literal in their translation.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' is weird and scary to me...

The Greatest Defender of Freedom and Liberty on These Boards The 984's Avatar
    Fuck dubs. Fuck subs. I'm on the side of wubs!

OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

Thread Information