Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What video game are you currently playing?

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    Y's 7 Trip report: Just recruited the sand land dude, and I've got to say, It's refreshing as hell to play an ARPG that realized that it doesn't need to make all of it's bosses piss easy. I've died to every boss in the same way that I die to a Mega Man boss fight (either because I was still trying to find out when exactly the best time to go on the offensive is, because I might have come in just a level under where I need to be, or because of moments like "Wait. What do you mean that having the boss try to grapple and drain his own minions health with his grapple move isn't the gimmick of this fight?" set in. And not only that but the gameplay itself isn't painfully bland or suffering from tedious mechanics that don't add anything meaningful either (which, sadly enough, I find all too common in ARPGs these days). So far, my three favorite things outside of the bosses and the music are the AI, the limited inventory, and the fact that you can absolutely fly across the field.

Goldeneye Wii Trip report: I will admit that it is interesting to see the changes done to the original version, some of which are for the better (like having a radar, guns auto targeting even when pulling up the sight, gratuitous check points) some of which are for the worse (regenerating health (haven't played 007Classic yet), stealth that doesn't seem to work nor really seems that necessary, wonky stage layouts, gratuitous check points). Multiplayer didn't really win me over that much so far but I haven't given it the time necessary yet so I'll reserve judgment on it right now.

NSMBWii Multiplayer Trip report: Welp, my two siblings and I managed to make it all the way to World 5 without killing each other so far, though I'm the only one who's managed to use fewer than 10 continues out of the three of us. Best solutions in hard to maneuver areas is to grab one of them and carry them across whatever's menacing us at the moment. That said, game's just as hilarious with the unintentional deaths and silly hi-jinxes as they say it is.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

Beat 999 again and got another ending. Ended even worse than the last one (only one hanging question this time...), but I managed to learn some more important plot stuff. Also got to visit some more rooms and solve different puzzles this time around.

Some of the puzzles are fairly crazy stuff, but usually not so much that you couldn't ever figure it out. (I got close caving in on one my last playthrough, it was a number puzzle where you had a 3x3 grid with the numbers 1-9 and had to put the numbers in position to where every row/column/diagonal of 3 numbers was equal to 15.)

Ninja Edit: Well, I went and got a 3rd ending, which frankly, was pretty disturbing. Still, got 2 more to look into, and then go about the True Ending route.

Also, I finally beat Barbatos in ToD:DC. FUCK YEAH!
    Last edited by Ultratech87; 12-30-2010 at 11:17 PM.

"Today's the day...the day we bring the end." -??? (Me?)

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

Y's 7 Trip Report MKII: Currently at the water dungeon. Most of the side quests thus far have already been wrapped up. And after a string of pushover bosses that phoenix boss reminded me to keep myself leveled properly (also helped in getting a second Gold Pendant because the AI is loving terrible at getting out of petrification and some better weapons just because). I've got to say that XSeed did an excellent job at the localization of this game. I've been chuckling at the script for a good while now.

Goldeneye Trip Report MKII: While I understand why they needed to make the changes that they did, but did they seriously need to change Alec's motivation for dicking over Brittan's financial system to "Fuck Wallstreet and the economic collapse"? That said, just gave Xenia a one way trip down a mountain in Not Cuba. Unfortunately, just like before, the Xenia boss fight was uninspired and over all too easily. The other changes so far haven't really mattered that much either way except for the statue park taking place after the whole train event (namely due to the ever awesome tank chase taking prior to the train stage and I would imagine the Russians not wanting 007 dicking around in their statue parks after tearing Moscow a new one, plus I wouldn't imagine there being any reason for Alec or Janus to remain in Russia at that point either) and the helicopter showing up at the dam (So what exactly is it doing here anyways? Refueling?, Reloading Ammo?, Carrying around the Goldeneye firing key? Who knows. At least it gives James a better reason for doofing off in Siberia than making a copy of the Goldeneye firing key, even if it also makes the helicopter hijack scene make no sense in the process.).
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

Saga Frontier, for like the 987th time.
    Z.H.P
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    and FF13

What is this I don't even pokefreak_85's Avatar
    Found a Visual Novel called Seiken no Inganock a while ago while digging up a game for a friend.
    Wonderful art and a fantastic setting. Can't say much more than that right now since I haven't even gotten halfway through yet, but from what I've seen so far I'd recommend it.

I went through a couple of worlds in Donkey Kong Returns and it feels good worrying about the distinction between stages and worlds years later. Turns out mine kart rides always sucked and will always suck. Mario & Luigi rpg 3 is slowly inching forward (I'm at the x-ray part) and I've played some Overlord and Alpha Protocol. Free time for games, yay.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

I've been going back and playing some older Final Fantasies (8, 9, and 12). I tried playing Final Fantasy 13, but I get bored. I don't care about the characters and the battle system boils down to "just push X" with the occassional paradigm shift. I also play Call of Duty: Black Ops and Halo: Reach. I've started to get into Fable 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, but mostly when I get bored. Final Fantasy 13 was the biggest disappointment and I probably won't finish it. I don't care what happens and just feels like I'm running through a boring movie.
    Who's pencil sharpener is this?

Bringing booblights back in style Zero's Avatar
    Bought C&C4 for like 5$ during the Steam Sale.

Not sure if worth it. The fact the enemy has RESPAWNING MCVs is kind of bullshit, the fact there's 0 money management and you just shit out units based on build time is pretty shitty because the AI generally has 2+ 'players' and the food cap means you will rarely ever fighting odds better than 2v1. And when the enemy MCV is as mobile as you, parked less than a screen away from yours and gunning you, well...life sucks.

Oh, sure, you get respawning MCVs too, generally 2-3, and you can swap your strat accordingly. Your objective you need to protect however will not survive so well. :/

Damned NOD Avatars taking 6 command points...I keep salvaging them and they rip stuff apart, but I go over food cap and I can't replace my engineer repair dudes. :(

Other than that, I got Supreme Commander 2, and play Super Robot Wars Judgement with the new patch and Super Robot Wars L here and there. And there's always my <a href="us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uther/shuraa/">WoW character</a>
    Typical undead flirting: Roses are Gray. Violets are Gray. I'm DEAD and COLORBLIND.
    I used to be schizophrenic, but we're okay now. - Fei, after Xenogears

11!!!3gass3ml4n1m1lbus
    "When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity."
    - Albert Einstein

Some people are like Slinkies ... Not really good for anything, But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Weiila: Huzzah! Another game I'll be able to play with my toes while drunk!

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Other than that, I got Supreme Commander 2, and play Super Robot Wars Judgement with the new patch and Super Robot Wars L here and there. And there's always my <a href="us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uther/shuraa/">WoW character</a>
    One of these days, I really should take the time to snap up that patch. I could always use some Bonta-kun action.

That said...

Y's Trip Report the Third: Passed the halfway point, not surprisingly though I've crossed a point of no return, missing a couple of stuffs and leaving a pair of unfinished quests. The mid point boss fight was annoying due to all the cutscenes and the fact that the Extra gauge was sucked dry. And then there's the next boss fight which, while currently kicking my ass all over the place, is actually pretty awesome given the fact that the second half is spent bravely running away all the while dealing damage while not getting utterly steamrolled by the boss.

Goldeneye Trip Report the Final: Now I know what's off about the game. Stages are larger to compensate for fewer stages, but the new additions to the stages are basically filler. Not like the original didn't have its share of filler but even return trips to places like the bunker had something new to offer, versus the newer version where you'll find yourself traversing the same corridor/room a couple of times per stage. Most noticeable examples would be the dance club, the bunker, and the dam. While the boss fight with Xenia was just as lackluster as the original version was (ok maybe slightly better given the fire fight that proceeds it) but both the Natalya and the Alec battles were both vastly underwhelming compared to the original. Natalya has you in a small room with three consoles in it that Natalya runs from to do her thing. A small cluster of guards try to rush her location to kill either her or you. The fight changes though as the room starts to glow white hot making it difficult to see anything more than what's directly in front of you. Since both battles are on the same stage, the second part has you rushing through a gauntlet under a strict time limit through a mostly destroyed room and then a series of walkways between you and the sun gun. Finally, there's Alec himself who fights much like his N64 counterpart, however, where his N64 counterpart had an entire stage to lose you like airport luggage and takes the high ground as much as possible, here the bulk of the battle is confined to a small room, half of which Alec will never traverse plus he has frequently stops along his route which gives you ample time to stand over him and unload point blank headshots with your shotgun (which you shouldn't do as the shotgun does piss damage, if anything at all, no matter the range, mow him down with the assault rifle instead). The battle concludes with yet another QTE which I bungled a couple of times due to the fact that the first attempt ended badly when I didn't realize the QTE actually wanted me to aim at something, and the other times were due to me being out of it.

Donkey Kong Country Returns Trip Report the First: So far I'm in that one level in the water world with the remix of the awesome underwater music from the original playing as it's BGM during the whale parts. I've got to admit, I'm definitely feeling it this game as the levels so far are quite varied, and I've already hit upon some bastardly difficult dick moves such as the coast getting carpet shelled by background galleons. An excellent game thus far, and I can't wait to see more of it.

The Man called Wil Wilfredo Martinez's Avatar
    After watching Necroscope86's wonderful Let'sPlay of Breath Of Fire III on Youtube, my love for this game was reignited so I have started playing it again (with some Gameshark codes for the "not the same exact replay" angle- as usual for me, no Invincibility or anything cheap like that, more like eliminating tedious tasks like grinding for money) on my PS2. Man, I LOVE this game, even the parts that exasperated me years ago where experiences I still recall fondly. Heck I'd say that, overall (as opposed to specific elements) I'd say it's the best game I've played. I even enjoyed the fishing minigame, and I HATE fishing!

Currently 8:30 hours in, failed to defeat Balio and Sunder thought I KNOW it's possible (the SECOND fight with them, people, the first is unwinnable) but since it doesn't result in a game over I don't care.
    Last edited by Wilfredo Martinez; 01-04-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Sijo

Quote Originally Posted by Killmore View Post
    and I've already hit upon some bastardly difficult dick moves such as the coast getting carpet shelled by background galleons.
    Ha, word. Especially if you want to get the letters and assorted stuff too.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

I got a lot of games for Christmas, and I'm currently working on "Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility" and "Halo: Reach".

On related Breath of Fire III news (current play time 17 hours, about to go into the Produce Dump) I discovered a bunch of old gameshark codes online and decided to try them out. Sadly not all of them work (my cheating device is a Pro Action Replay and they aren't always compatible) but it's been surprisingly fun testing them. For example the "have all items" code didn't work BUT one that provides any item in the game -one at a time- does. I used it to get the Master Rod so fishing would be a snap. Oh and I found out I CAN gain some of the Monster Skills that normally cannot be copied and use them. Now THAT is a new gameplay twist! :)

Got Fallout: New Vegas for X-mas, and finally beat Rune Factory 3. On top of that, I finally went back to 999 and got the Safe Ending. That was a somewhat better ending, since it ended up explaining a LOT of things from some of the other endings I'd gotten to that point. Pretty mind-twisting stuff. The True Ending route is up next, and it's supposedly the craziest shit yet. (Like up there with some Lost-style mindfuckery.) I hope to finish it tomorrow or the day after, since I have an idea of what to do now.

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

AAAARGH. I accidentally saved over my Breath of Fire III file!!!

...Oh well. I was only about 20 hours in. I can start all over using the new codes I have found since I started playing (seriously, you can do things I never imagined, like having access to all of Ryu's ability menus while in dragon form!! I can use that to FINALLY beat Balio and Sunder (in the second battle) so it may be worth it.)

Also, my PS2 controller broke. > < Oh well I'll borrow my nephew's while I buy a new one. He' busy playing with his brand-new PS3 anyway.

Y's VII Trip Report Supplemental: For some reason I just can't seem to hate on the plot as much as it seems to deserve. I'm back in town again after a really unfair boss fight and so far there hasn't been anything really new or shocking with the plot despite it taking its big tweest. I think the reason for this is that this game's plot is surprisingly refreshing in comparison to the usual chaff even though it's basic plot equals never veer from stogy traditions, leave mother nature's embrace with such high-tech sorcery as waterwheels, windmills, and *gasp* forged iron, or display anything remotely resembling Gundam levels of douchiness or may the various gods of the day have mercy on you pathetic, contemptible humans. Namely due to the fact that while the overall plot cliched as hell it at least tries on the details. If anything its more condemning of what the average JRPG means and of how utterly bereft the genre is of effort.

DKCR Trip Report 2: Not much to report on this end. I've only made it to world three now. I really haven't had the time for this game though. Still fun, and the second world challenge tomb was pretty cool.

Y'all need to post more :/ Shinryu's Avatar
    Well, after like 9 years of on-and-off playing, I finally beat Diablo II on Hell difficulty. Ran a level 79 Sorceress to the finish, using Frozen Orb as my main skill and Chain Lightning as my backup.

If ya curious~

Str: 200
    Dex: 25
    Vit: 225
    Eng: 35

652 base Life, 252 base Mana

Relevant skills are Frozen Orb at level 20, Cold Mastery at 8, Chain Lightning at 11, Thunderstorm at 1, Lightning Mastery at 15, and Warmth at 20. Rest are an assortment of prerequisites, mostly.

Equipment is a Chromatic Ire for a weapon, Archon Plate w/Chains of Honor, Hwanin's Splendour, Mara's Kaleidoscope, War Traveler, I got some rare gloves that boost magic resist and cast rate, and a pair of rings that give +2 to skill levels.

I've got a handful of charms to boost skill levels also, so my spells are running at 18 levels higher than base, lol.

Ran a Fire Rogue as backup, with castoffs for equipment mostly.

Only things I had trouble with were Cold/Lightning Immunes, and Extra Fast/Cold Immunes. Otherwise, it was pretty well cake. Diablo died so fast I barely even saw him. Baal wasn't even a threat~
    Last edited by Shinryu; 01-14-2011 at 11:58 PM.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton, 1950-2011
    "They said the NDP would never break through in Quebec. They said the NDP could never win in Alberta. Canadians want change. Change is what the NDP is." - Thomas Mulcair, NDP Leader

Finally beat 999 again and got the True Ending this time around. (Mind = Blown) I gotta say, it's probably one of best well-written games I've ever played....ever. On top of that, it's really pretty engrossing and the puzzles are fairly unique. While I would talk more about it, I'd run into spoiler trouble and the like.
    So I'll just say this to anyone reading:

GO GET THIS GAME NOW AND PLAY IT!!!

Seriously, go do it. One of the best DS games I've played in a while.

Other than that, haven't been messing with much else.

Y'all need to post more :/ Shinryu's Avatar
    Picked up Soul Calibur IV for the PS3 yesterday, and am now working on getting used to the changes from SCIII~

Hit me up on MSN if you want to play~ :P

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton, 1950-2011
    "They said the NDP would never break through in Quebec. They said the NDP could never win in Alberta. Canadians want change. Change is what the NDP is." - Thomas Mulcair, NDP Leader

Heloderma suspectum
    I finally got Megaman 9 and 10 for the PS3. I started Megaman 9 with a friend and it took us a long time to get used to the difficulty level. We cleared one stage, and then stopped. Yesterday we cleared the rest of them but now Wily's levels are kicking our asses. These games are so awesome, though. Probably the best thing I've downloaded off of the PSN.

I'm still waiting for original classic Metroid for GBA in the mail. Somehow I missed that when it came out and didn't dawn on me to actually pick it up. I didn't want Zero Mission as I've played through it before and I like the pickup and play aspect of classic Metroid. That said it kind of has me wondering if they'll do a compilation release of the GBA and older games for the DS or 3DS sometime in the future. You know, Zero Mission, Fusion, maybe Metroid II and Super Metroid remakes... or maybe that's too much to hope for.

After taking a break to finally finish DA Awakening (Meh expansion), I went back to playing Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

My goooooooood I had forgotten how exhausting the dialogue is. Everyone needs everything explained in full detail, nothing is ever left unsaid and the time it takes to says something is doubled by the time the characters spend turning, looking at each other and making sad/frowny/smiley faces.

I still have fun with the puzzles and once in a while a character says something genuinely funny, but fuck this game would be a billion times better with a bit more fast paced dialogue.
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

^Don't forget that what's said is usually irrelevant, misleading, or outright wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gila-Monster View Post
    I'm still waiting for original classic Metroid for GBA in the mail. Somehow I missed that when it came out and didn't dawn on me to actually pick it up. I didn't want Zero Mission as I've played through it before and I like the pickup and play aspect of classic Metroid. That said it kind of has me wondering if they'll do a compilation release of the GBA and older games for the DS or 3DS sometime in the future. You know, Zero Mission, Fusion, maybe Metroid II and Super Metroid remakes... or maybe that's too much to hope for.
    Fun fact: Zero Mission as well as Fusion both have original Metroid on them. Usually as a hidden feature or an extra or something. Although they aren't the most spectacular ports due to altered aspect ratio of the GBA screen and Fusion requires a GCN/GBA link to Prime 1 to unlock. I don't know if the standalone version handles better or not, but if it doesn't then you just wasted your money.

That said, nothing to really note other than finally getting a high enough fire grotto map to get the beastiary entries for the last fire grotto exclusive enemies in DQIX.

Heloderma suspectum
    Quote Originally Posted by Killmore View Post
    Fun fact: Zero Mission as well as Fusion both have original Metroid on them. Usually as a hidden feature or an extra or something. Although they aren't the most spectacular ports due to altered aspect ratio of the GBA screen and Fusion requires a GCN/GBA link to Prime 1 to unlock. I don't know if the standalone version handles better or not, but if it doesn't then you just wasted your money.
    The classic nes Metroid GBA release is the exact same as the unlockable one in Zero Mission. I knew about Zero Mission, especially since I unlocked it back in the rom when I first played it years ago. Hence why I mentioned it. I didn't waste my money because I only wanted to play the classic. Sure you get two games with Zero Mission (technically) but I've read quite a bit about these games save feature dying off due to batteries etc, so I wouldn't have to worry about that with a game that is instantly playable and has passwords.

As for Fusion I don't have a Gamecube. Fusion would be mighty fun to play again.

As for the Metroid thing, I got it in the mail today and it is flavour country. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

Hexplosive Personality BahamutXero's Avatar
    Well, I recently started playing Super Street Fighter IV. I'm not very good, but learning. Actually played Locke her in a few matches and won a couple. Send a friend message to BahamutXero66 if interested in duking it out for fun.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gila-Monster View Post
    That said it kind of has me wondering if they'll do a compilation release of the GBA and older games for the DS or 3DS sometime in the future. You know, Zero Mission, Fusion, maybe Metroid II and Super Metroid remakes... or maybe that's too much to hope for.
    That would be a pack to kill for.

I'd be playing Demon's Souls if I hadn't gotten busted shoplifting it.
    The Brevard County doctor who was arrested for groping a woman while dressed as Captain America with a burrito in his pants will not go to jail.

Went and picked up Gargoyle's Quest, Robotrek, Sin & Punishment 2, and 2000 Wii/DSi points (to purchase Shantae and either X-Scape, Cave Story, or whatever with what's left over) yesterday, and thus far finished Gargoyle's Quest.

Otherwise, I'm currently doofing around with that unwinnable boss fight segment in YsVII seeing if I can win it. I'm currently somewhere between "Welp, he's got an 'I WIN' attack at around half health." and "If I load up on free revive accessories for my party members, take all of the potions I can carry, and maybe get a lucky perfect guard or two off, I could still take him.".

Makes music with the bloops and bleeps and whatnot Kagato Toujou's Avatar
    My computer is on the fritz when i was balls deep in making a bare-handed character on Oblivion and playing lots of League of Legends. I still play LoL on my roomies computer in the meantime (can't run that shit on safemode obviously). Good ol' Soraka Tank.

Otherwise, I FINALLY jumped on the Pokemon bandwagon last November with a borrowed copy of Emerald. Was griding for the Elite 4 when I broke and decided to start on Platinum. Gotta enslave 'em all, man. Looking forward to Black and White so I can be part of the trend as the trend trends, finally.

I reckon they'll probably just make a third one/ an updated Black-White game sometime this year. I'm betting it'll be called Pokemon Chrome. My 2 cents.

Thinking about picking back up on Dragon Quarter. I played it solidly for a month and a half this time last year; I've been itching to give it another go lately.
    There used to be a signature here... but then I stopped believing in signatures...

Quote Originally Posted by Kagato Toujou View Post
    My computer is on the fritz when i was balls deep in making a bare-handed character on Oblivion and playing lots of League of Legends. I still play LoL on my roomies computer in the meantime (can't run that shit on safemode obviously). Good ol' Soraka Tank.

Otherwise, I FINALLY jumped on the Pokemon bandwagon last November with a borrowed copy of Emerald. Was griding for the Elite 4 when I broke and decided to start on Platinum. Gotta enslave 'em all, man. Looking forward to Black and White so I can be part of the trend as the trend trends, finally.

I reckon they'll probably just make a third one/ an updated Black-White game sometime this year. I'm betting it'll be called Pokemon Chrome. My 2 cents.

Thinking about picking back up on Dragon Quarter. I played it solidly for a month and a half this time last year; I've been itching to give it another go lately.
    It's probably for the best to just hold off on Pokemon until Black and White since from what I've been hearing, it sounds like they're finally doing something about how glacially slow those games play. Also 3 on 3 battles, why did it have to take them this long for it?

I got back into WoW for a couple months with Cataclysm, but after the better part of seven years it's definitely lost a lot of its luster and I don't have the time to raid hardcore anymore. It doesn't help that I'm really trying to publish this year - 21 hours of classes, tutoring, and two major totally-out-of-class research projects don't leave me a lot of free time I can schedule for raiding, or anything else for that matter.

So right now I'm playing Left 4 Dead 2 and Overlord II and whatever else on STEAM that catches my eye and won't break my wallet. Dungeons releases on the 10th of February and looks to be a good old-fashioned Dungeon Keeper clone :). I still play SC2 from time to time but, as with WoW, I can't really devote the time it takes to be truly good at it.

Thread Information