Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What video game are you currently playing?

Ok, small update. Finished FF:4HoL today. Final boss managed to be an interesting challenge, as well as being visually awesome looking. Getting to it was a pain in the ass though, since the Final Dungeon is a bit confusing at parts. Also finished one of the bonus Towers, which consisted of 100 floors. Ended up getting the Ninja crown from that one and decided I'm not gonna try to trek through another Tower, since they get harder and massively annoying. On that note, the one thing I really liked about the game was the Continue/End Game screen that pops up everytime you continue or quit from Saving. Not much on it at first, but as you do the story stuff, more things get added to it, and ends up having a lot of things towards the end. Pretty neat touch.

"Today's the day...the day we bring the end." -??? (Me?)

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

Alpha-Female of the RPGC Staff Weiila's Avatar
    I bought Mini Ninjas for the Wii because the intro chopped up by Unskippaple looked plain adorable. It's clearly meant for kids but it's got a nice, simple fun feeling about it. It encourages exploring even though the levels are fairly linear, but the exploring is seldom pushed upon you but wholly optional. It does help, though. Well, sorta. There are potion ingredients to find, but I don't find myself needing potions that much. It's not a very difficult game. Still, it's pretty fun to see what you can find.

The graphics are nothing spectacular, but they are smooth and it all looks like you're in an anime world. The controls are easy enough, though there are some finetuning that could have been done. For example, for some reason whenever you want to pick up an item like a flower or mushroom, you have to hold down A and swing the Wii remote. The swing seldom registers at once so you'll have to swing it repeatedly until the ninja finally gets the idea to pick up the stupid herb. What's wrong with a simple push of the A button? The swing is entirely superflous. Also, having played Sly Racoon I see how flawed the sneaking and rope walking mechanics are - as in, the sneaking hardly works because the enemy will spot you anyway, and it's fairly easy to fall off ropes, while in Sly Racoon, at least the second and third game, where the same mechanics were present there was never any risk of falling as long as you held down square.

Characters... eh. There are character prologues about how each of the ninja came to their master as children to train, but that's about it - and it's not even part of the game, you see those from the main menu of the game. The villains get more characterization than that, but it's not more than snivelling underlings getting yelled at by the big bad after you defeat a boss.

It's a cute game though, and I'd like to see the series continued and developed. There's definitely something there.
    New fanfic quote:

"I am indeed a spy, milord, but not for the enemies of Mordor or the Master. Instead, I serve a different master, a group called the Protectors of the Plot Continuum. Milord, have you ever heard of 'fanfiction'?"
    "Aye. A particularly odious form of sorcery, by all accounts."
    /.../
    "Yes. And have you heard of 'fangirls'?"
    "They are but a legend! A fearful legend, but a legend nonetheless."
    -Architeuthis of the Protectors of the Plot Continuum and High Nazgul of the Ringwraiths
    From "Intelligence Briefs for the PPC: The Beginning" by Architeuthis

Quote Originally Posted by darkling
    Orochimaru has joined the Baby-Sitter's Club.

Sometimes I have a lot of games and play one; right now I'm actively playing several. I'm finishing Red Dead Redemption and New Super Mario Bros Wii, starting Donkey Kong Country Returns (world three what whaaaaat) and mingling in Halo Reach.

DKCR is the recent addition, and prior to that I picked up FF2 and DKC2 off the Virtual Console. I'm a busy little boy!
    Still, to adorn his humble youth,
    Nor wealth nor birth their treasures yield;
    But he who seeks the flowers of truth,
    Must quit the garden for the field.

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    Things have been going very slowly due to me not being able to access most of my consoles at this time.

Since my last update, all I've really done was a chapter in FE7 and a bunch of farming in DQIX. At least I have almost a full set of Metal Slime items (though not due to this week's DQVC which is Metal Slime themed), a few more top weapons (including the top whip which effectively renders the top boomerang useless), and a few new red orbs from Malroth (yay for the auto steal scroll).

As for Xenosaga Ep1. I've been too lazy to bother getting the side quests done for maximum game breakage.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

The Man called Wil Wilfredo Martinez's Avatar
    Haven't advanced much more in ATII. I had to stop to do a lot of written work (this is the busiest time of the year for me). I needed a break, anyway, I was starting to get burned out. This IS the longest I've played any single game, and I think I still have several hours left to go.

Current playtime: 120 hours.

BTW: I still haven't caught all the IPDS, and I'm about to lose some areas of the game world. Does this mean I won't be able to conclude that particular challenge?

Also, does the quest in Mikry Forest have any purpose later on? It seems incidental, the first such quest I find in this game.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Sijo

Jet Magnuming into your heart Mastermune's Avatar
    After a long time playing it, I have decided to take a rest from getting 100% in persona 4 and got myself Genji dawn of the Samurai and Rogue Galaxy for the PS2 haven't really started yet with either of them, I just need a small rest from all the MegaTen I have been playing recently.

... d'aaaw. Seriously, if you guys ever want to introduce a younger sibling or something to gaming, Mini Ninjas is a good place to start. Or if you want a wiff of nostalgic gaming. It was pure, cute, charming and simple fun throughout, and the final level was REALLY clever. Spoiler: The evil Samurai Warlord makes his entier castle a huge, uhm, castle monster and you have to climb through the wreckage inside it while it's walking. Not for the easily motion sick people, but anyway. It wasn't moving that much, but enough. While the levels are linear, there's still secrets to be found and stuff to collect so there's some basic exploration.

... it amuses me that this delightful, kid-friendly game was developed by the same guys who made Kane & Lynch. Oi.
    New fanfic quote:

"I am indeed a spy, milord, but not for the enemies of Mordor or the Master. Instead, I serve a different master, a group called the Protectors of the Plot Continuum. Milord, have you ever heard of 'fanfiction'?"
    /.../
    -Architeuthis of the Protectors of the Plot Continuum and High Nazgul of the Ringwraiths

... I bought Civilization 5.

Goodbye, creative evenings.

I'm highly amused by the fact that everyone seems so keen on me killing off Gandhi when I'm playing English.
    New fanfic quote:

/.../

Post-Zeppelinist Anarcho-Samurai 6969ballsballsbal Ramza's Avatar
    Finished the main story of Dragon Quest 9, gonna try to do all the side stuff. Near the end of FFIV DS and playing through FFIII DS as well. Gonna check out FFXIV soon
    No, we're staying here. We're gonna find out who that fucking Nick Flannel is and rule the fucking school. So run home and open your presents, I hope you get a new pillow to cry into. Shit.
    -Ronny the Bear

Lately, I've been playing Rune Factory 3. Now I haven't played the previous entries, so it was kinda interesting. But I gotta say, RF3 is a damn good game. I can eat up time like none other when playing it, and farming's kinda cool.

Not quite sure how much left I got left on it, since I'm finished with the seasonal dungeons.

Also been toying around with Age of Empires III, since I got it for 10 cents during some sale MS had one Sunday.

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

Y'all need to post more :/ Shinryu's Avatar
    I'm doing the nostalgia thing, playing Illusion of Gaia right now. I'm also on-and-off playing Gothic 3 and Battle for Wesnoth, when I'm in the mood.

I wish I had more time for gaming these days :/

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton, 1950-2011
    "They said the NDP would never break through in Quebec. They said the NDP could never win in Alberta. Canadians want change. Change is what the NDP is." - Thomas Mulcair, NDP Leader

Sizable update this time (in that, I got stuffs done).

First off, nothing new in DQIX aside from the fact that I've managed to grind up to half of the rank S weapons.

Second, I've made one chapter's worth of headway in FEVII.

Thirdly, in Xenosaga, I've started on the final dungeon.

And finally, I've decided to go back and finish up FEX. So far I've cleared two chapters, one of which is that obnoxious final battle of chapter 2. Now I can sit back and relax for the next couple of chapters now that I'm cruising around with the A-Team.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

I've put Ar Tonelico II aside for the moment to play Final Fantasy V for the, ye gods, 6th, 7th time!? This time I'm emulating it (it's OK, I have bought two versions) using VisualBoyAdvance so I can use codes to play with the Jobs again- beating the undead in the Ship Graveyard (early in the game) with the Necromancer Job you only get from beating Ennuo in the post-game dungeon, for example, is wonderfully ironic. :D

Hexplosive Personality BahamutXero's Avatar
    I haven't had much time at all for gaming unfortunately due to Medicare's "open enrollment" being a real bitch demanding overtime. I'm still play Record of Agarest War and I'm getting all the stuff I need to do alchemy and make all the weapons and armor I can make up to this point (mid fourth generation).

That and weeping at all the games that are coming out early next year: Heroes VI, Dragon Age 2, etc.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

I'm playing splinter cell conviction awesome nothing like the oldies I highly recommend it.
    Finally found an email marketing software for my promotion.

Mi-Mi-Mikuru Beam! Dragons Revenge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Martinez View Post
    This time I'm emulating it (it's OK, I have bought two versions)
    Thank Gos. I was *this* close to calling the police.
    CHECK THIS RIFF, IT'S FUCKING TASTY!

At this point, he might as well. Squeenix just keeps on pumping rereleases of all their early FF games its getting ridiculous at this point. Hell, they just announced yet another FFIV rerelease for the PSP, this time featuring the wunder years as it's bonus. That brings the running total of different versions of FFIV to five (six if you count easy type separately).

Post-Zeppelinist Anarcho-Samurai 6969ballsballsbal Ramza's Avatar
    Playing FFVI GBA, Oblivion, and Fallout 3. Playing New Vegas and FFXIV when I can get on a good connection.. :((((((((((
    No, we're staying here. We're gonna find out who that fucking Nick Flannel is and rule the fucking school. So run home and open your presents, I hope you get a new pillow to cry into. Shit.
    -Ronny the Bear

Just been playing Rune Factory 3 (still...it's a real time-eater) and Vindictus, which is pretty fun. Granted, playing PC games online lately has been a bitch, due to constant Internet troubles and shit. Seems to have been much better the last few days though.

Iím playing Fallout. I had never played it before. And I loved it.

File this under "WTF Gaming Moments": As mentioned above, I'm emulating FFV Advance with all Jobs available from the start. I'm currently up to the Library of the Ancients. Like a total noob, I forgot there's a monster that casts Level 5 Death there (causes instant death on all characters whose levels are multiples of 5.) And of course, ALL MY CHARACTERS WERE LEVEL 15. I realized this when one cast the spell on my party, and right after a Boss battle too! *Doh!* HOWEVER! And here's the crazy part, I had one of my party members (Galuf) set as a Necromancer (the very last class you get in the game) and while the rest died like flies, turns out Necromancers are immune to death magic! I did not do that on purpose. :P Of course I then had to kill the monster with just Galuf, but I suceeded, thus avoiding having to replay the whole dungeon. Sometimes I can't believe my own luck.

Started doing a few more grotto maps in DQIX now that my other characters are hitting level 99 and are in need of reclassing and taking it slow again.

Finished a couple of battles in FEX.

But more importantly I finally finished Xenosaga ep1. Time to return it to whence it came then to go watch an archived playthrough of ep2.

Picked up .Hack//Infection again for a few hours before remembering why I set it down to begin with (boring repeatative combat, spells stunlocking the hell out of you at the drop of a hat, terrible camera getting in the way of everything, and having almost no health buffer to speak of making every encounter go from nonchalantly opening a portal to going straight into the red while popping health drinks like they're going out of style, and god help you if there's a second portal in the room because one of those fuckers is going to beeline straight to it and then its eight of those fuckers gangbanging you, and then of course its slogging through a field and five floors of a dungeon full of this crap only to get snuffed by one of the last encounters in the dungeon because of an unlucky roll). Although, after consulting GameFAQs, it's come to my attention that apparently I'm near the end of the game as I have 6 story dungeons left to go, the best common weapon in the game for my main character as well as high level armor in all slots, and I even have those Ryu Books nearly filled out.

Merry Edit-Mas: Done with DotHack. Now starting Ys7.
    Last edited by Killmore; 12-25-2010 at 11:09 PM.

What is this I don't even pokefreak_85's Avatar
    Mostly playing WoW right now. Cataclysm, you know.
    Other that that I'm still, very slowly, working my way through the Touhou games (well, I'm trying at least) and I just finished Utawarerumono.
    Gods DAMN that game did not have a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by pokefreak_85 View Post
    Gods DAMN that game did not have a happy ending.
    Seriously? How do you interpret the fact that they Spoiler: all seem to see him back at the end? He's fucking God, reincarnating as a mortal shouldn't be too difficult. Still, I'm pissed he didn't magic Yuzuha's illness away before going away.

Still, I fucking loved the difficulty in that thing. For once, I was actually using STRATEGY in an SRPG. Finally winning a stage felt really rewarding.
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

So I got 999 (Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors) recently, and finally beat it...sadly (and very fucking shockingly) I got a Bad End. Seriously, it really kinda pissed me off and left me shocked. Not so much at the ending itself, which kinda sucked, but more to the fact that I still had unanswered questions about certain things that had just recently came to light.

My advice? If you don't have this game, go get it. Get it now! Meanwhile, I'm playing through the game again to attempt to get another ending and use what I learned from my last playthrough. The cool thing is that it's nice enough to let you basically fast-forward the game until you get to a choice you hadn't made yet. Still gotta do all those puzzles though...

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Ephyon View Post
    Seriously? How do you interpret the fact that they Spoiler: all seem to see him back at the end? He's fucking God, reincarnating as a mortal shouldn't be too difficult. Still, I'm pissed he didn't magic Yuzuha's illness away before going away.

Still, I fucking loved the difficulty in that thing. For once, I was actually using STRATEGY in an SRPG. Finally winning a stage felt really rewarding.
    Mostly by ignoring it. Just because it wasn't a happy ending doesn't mean I didn't like it.
    Sure, it probably happened as you say but that just felt so cheap. I didn't really dislike the happy ending either, but when it's basically just an ass-pull after the credits.. That I didn't like.
    I would have no complaints if they had actually made something of it instead of "oh wait can't have a sad ending so never mind we fixed it".

Really? I pretty much breezed through every battle after the first chapter or so. Well, I don't remember if there was a difficulty setting or not, but if there was I usually play games on normal (or equivalent setting) so in that case that's probably it.

Oh... you kinda skipped pretty much the whole thing. Normal is a crippled version of the gameplay, the game is best played in "Hard 3", which is where all the fun shit starts to happen and you seriously need to start using terrain and position to save your ass, since you can't cheese out with raw power (For instance, using Karura requires some VERY careful planning since she hits like a motherfucker but dies very easily). It's tremendously engaging and some of the best fun I've ever had with SRPGs.
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

Jet Magnuming into your heart Mastermune's Avatar
    Well I have been playing rogue galaxy for a while and it's been fun, unfortunetly I already started hitting the max weapons of most of the characters and it kinda sucks they don't have the vast array of final weapons the main character has (that and maybe I have been having too much fun fusing weapons). But I may stop may playthrough of RG because Super Robot Wars J got a translation patch and well it's time to kick some robot ass.

Y'all need to post more :/ Shinryu's Avatar
    How'd you guys get your hands on Utawarerumono? I had a quick look on Amazon and couldn't find anything. Naturally, I didn't bother looking anywhere else >.>

When I'm able to use the PS3, I'm working on the New Game + mode in Valkyria Chronicles. Otherwise, it's Battle for Wesnoth.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton, 1950-2011
    "They said the NDP would never break through in Quebec. They said the NDP could never win in Alberta. Canadians want change. Change is what the NDP is." - Thomas Mulcair, NDP Leader

I was just randomly browsing the Internet for something to do when I ran across a torrent of it with a translation patch and thought "eh, why not?"

Thread Information