Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you reading?

Mi-Mi-Mikuru Beam! Dragons Revenge's Avatar
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Ever since I learned it was the spiritual prequel to Anansi Boys, I've wanted to check it out.
    CHECK THIS RIFF, IT'S FUCKING TASTY!

I Don't Bless Them
    American Gods is ten billion times better than Anansi Boys. You will not be disappointed.

The Big Book of Weapons Throughout the Ages (ok, that's not what it's really called, but that is what it's about)
    Also, I'm reading this forum. That has to count for something.

"Today's the day...the day we bring the end." -??? (Me?)

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Arac View Post
    the latter I assume was a typo, and that I meant "pedant."
    No, that was my typo: you actually wrote "pedantic". But why is he a pedant? An Orwell pendant would be nice though.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta... Kasey's Avatar
    What is wrong with the book 1984? I rather like the story. I always enjoyed those books in school in which the government was controlling everyone. Stuff like Fahrenheit 451.
    Bringing excessive social awkwardness to the Agora est. 2009

There wasn't anything wrong with 1984, but I liked the animal version better. Its shorter.
    The Brevard County doctor who was arrested for groping a woman while dressed as Captain America with a burrito in his pants will not go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmarole View Post
    No, that was my typo: you actually wrote "pedantic". But why is he a pedant? An Orwell pendant would be nice though.
    I feel he writes in a condescending tone, as though he's educating you from his vast banks of knowledge with all the ostentatious arrogance they warrant. Animal Farm takes this far enough that it can survive as a very-young adult/older children's book, but 1984 just made me feel like a little kid who needed two hundred pages of flat characters, uninteresting dialogue, and a plot with little to it besides the overarching theme to understand that a totalitarian government might not be ideal, all things considered. I guess sort of in line with Nabokov and Kundera's criticism, if you're familiar.

His essays are fine. It's just that he doesn't know novels are supposed to be different from them that is the problem.
    "I believe in my tusks.
    Long live freedom and damn the ideologies"
    -Robinson Jeffers, The Stars Go Over the Lonely Ocean

Characters aren't his strong point and I'd be lying if I claimed to remember any of the dialogue. I think the plot served its purpose, however, and he didn't come through as condescending to me when I read it a couple of years ago for the first time. As for Animal Farm, I found it very uneven because after the mid-point the book went on to its predestined conclusion by going through the motions, its charm depleted and without much to keep the reader's interest.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Arac View Post
    I feel he writes in a condescending tone, as though he's educating you from his vast banks of knowledge with all the ostentatious arrog-
    I know right.
    The Brevard County doctor who was arrested for groping a woman while dressed as Captain America with a burrito in his pants will not go to jail.

Shh keep my ironies subtle boy
    "I believe in my tusks.

For Whom The Bell Tolls. I think I will give this dude another chance.

It never hurts.

edit: By the way I read Eclipse by John Banville, which was great, and my next one will be probably The Talented Mr Riplay.
    Last edited by Rigmarole; 05-22-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Re-reading The Death of Bunny Munro. O Nick Cave.
    "I believe in my tusks.

Freedom is the only way yeah! GOD BLESS AMERICA's Avatar
    Might I recommend a nice little book called A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin

Just imagine what it could do for YOUR love life!
    #CasualFridayLumbersexual

I like how he looks like a sailor.

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    My reading is currently split between a text book on ethics and A Light Fantastic (and before anybody asks I've already read through The Color of Magic).
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

The library is doing inventory so I have to return FWTBT early.

Me... don't read much! Couldn't stay awake... even if I were being hosed down! xD

Hexplosive Personality BahamutXero's Avatar
    I'm rereading the first couple of books in Raymond E. Feist's Serpentwar Saga since it's so long since I read them. I aiming at getting through the whole thing this time.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

Post-Zeppelinist Anarcho-Samurai 6969ballsballsbal Ramza's Avatar
    The World's Religions by HuStOn SmItH!
    No, we're staying here. We're gonna find out who that fucking Nick Flannel is and rule the fucking school. So run home and open your presents, I hope you get a new pillow to cry into. Shit.
    -Ronny the Bear

The Man called Wil Wilfredo Martinez's Avatar
    I'm not attracted much by novels these days. But I still enjoy reading the D&D sourcebooks, even though I don't play the game anymore. They have neat ideas and cool narratives. You can see my reviews of them in the D&D board.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Sijo

Thread Information