Thread: Worst FF games?

Mi-Mi-Mikuru Beam! Dragons Revenge's Avatar

Worst FF games?

FFX-2
    FFIX
    FF XII

I can't count FFI,just because if what it was trying to do for the time, even if it hasn't aged well at all.
    CHECK THIS RIFF, IT'S FUCKING TASTY!

Ancient RPGC Relic
    Other than X-2 and Tactics, I think the worst for its time was XII, and the worst overall is probably 2j or 3j, which I haven't played, but their reputation precedes them.

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    3j isn't that bad. Its just really old school Nintendo Hard.

I haven't played 2j yet but if it comes out for the VC out here then I might (although I still have Origins 2 to finish slogging through).

If we're counting spinoffs then anything FF with the number VII in it. Also the TA games. Also Reverent Wings. Not too sure about the Wonder Years as I haven't played it yet.

Main series wise its either 2, 7, 8, 10, or 12.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

admirer of the only true british ff character balthierfan's Avatar
    FFTactics - the usual reasons
    FF10-2 - a bad attempt at a sequel
    FF5 - droll, uninteresting music and a dull villian
    the best and also worst motto i've ever had..

"relax - you'll live longer"

Ancient RPGC Relic
    All of FF5's compositional genius was invested in only one song: Battle on The Big Bridge. There wasn't enough left over for the rest of the soundtrack :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hades Shinigami View Post
    All of FF5's compositional genius was invested in only one song: Battle on The Big Bridge. There wasn't enough left over for the rest of the soundtrack :P
    This post makes Fate in Haze sad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfveM8QFME4

Probably 2j and XII for me. Luckily, XII International does fix some of the game's flaws by making some things less irritating, but doesn't fix the bad plot. 2j just hasn't aged very well at all. I made one or two attempts to beat it, but it's rough, so I never finished.

3j on the other hand, is one of my favorites.

"Today's the day...the day we bring the end." -??? (Me?)

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

I just mentioned FF X-2 on the “worst games” thread, so I’ll go with the same pick here.
    Brezhnev called together a group of cosmonauts. Comrades! The Americans have landed on the Moon. We here have consulted and have decided that you will go to the Sun!
    But we will burn up, Leonid Iljich!
    'Be not afraid, comrades, the Party has thought of everything. You will leave at night.'

I don't understand the X-2 hate. I really don't. "Oh Square just sold out and turned Yuna into Lara Craft". OK, fine, maybe they did. But the game was fun as hell, the graphics were amazing, the job system was cool, the story wasn't bad, it probably had more humor than any other FF title, the music was insanely good and very memorable, the optional dungeon was a ton of fun, and depending what jobs you used and what items you didn't, the game could even be challenging.

So, why exactly did X-2 suck? And don't give me "they sold out Yuna", because she was boring and generic in X, just like every other mindless innocent heroine in every other RPG.

The humor sucked, the dialogue was atrocious, the story was barely there, I got bored of going through the same places in the same order 5 different times, and once you got the dark knight sphere the game became easy as fuck. Oh and the graphics weren't amazing - they literally used the same engine from the first one. The game was fun, yeah. Everything around the game was shit. It had nothing to do with "OMG THEY SOLD OUT YUNA" Or whatever. At the time I thought it was odd, but I went with it. Oh, and they didn't need a sequel. The last game's ending was beautiful.

Oh, I will say it was better than Advent Children, if we're comparing sequels to beloved FF titles.

Oh, and FFXII wasn't bad at all. I really got into it. I was disappointed at how strong the story started, and then just kinda leveled off about 6 hours in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons Revenge View Post
    The humor sucked, the dialogue was atrocious, the story was barely there, I got bored of going through the same places in the same order 5 different times, and once you got the dark knight sphere the game became easy as fuck. Oh and the graphics weren't amazing - they literally used the same engine from the first one. The game was fun, yeah. Everything around the game was shit. It had nothing to do with "OMG THEY SOLD OUT YUNA" Or whatever. At the time I thought it was odd, but I went with it. Oh, and they didn't need a sequel. The last game's ending was beautiful.
    Original graphics included the job outfits & the CG; yes, of course they reused the graphics, otherwise they probably wouldn't have been able to make it. I get people not liking X-2, but worst game ever? That'd be FFVIII!

Just be glad they never followed through with X-3, with Rikku as the main.

Oh, and FFXII wasn't bad at all. I really got into it. I was disappointed at how strong the story started, and then just kinda leveled off about 6 hours in.
    Agree, it started so strong, and then just completely faded out. Could have been an amazing story, but they wasted it.

Yeah, they just inserted new graphics into the existing engine. They still could've made it (Why couldnt they?), it just would've taken longer. It's not the worst game ever, It's the worst FF. My only problem with FFVIII was the draw system, and the sudden final final boss that had little to do with anything (Just like FFIX, actually)

FFX-3? Yeah, thank god for that.

Yeah, they just inserted new graphics into the existing engine. They still could've made it (Why couldnt they?), it just would've taken longer.
    Sure, they could have, but it would have been a big waste of money / resources, and delayed other games. If they had created a new game world, how many more copies would they have sold? Probably not enough to justify the expense.

With all the remakes and spinoffs, they've left FFVI alone, other than Terra in Dissidia. Good thing or bad thing?
    Last edited by LockeJV; 11-17-2009 at 08:26 PM.

SHH! No, it's definately a good thing. They've already wrecked the legacies of two great games, no need to fuck up any more.

SHH! No, it's definately a good thing. They've already wrecked the legacies of two great games, no need to fuck up any more.
    Objection!

Three games.

Let us not forget about the Wonder Years after all.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJV View Post
    but worst game ever? That'd be FFVIII!
    Nah. (cf. old FFVIII threads.)
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Runaway Dog

Worst FF g

testudo erat numen is actually pretty good. as for the worst, as a blackwing player i would have to say that gust the back blast is the worst

How do you prove that you exist? Maybe we don't exist... The_Black_Mage's Avatar
    Original graphics included the job outfits & the CG; yes, of course they reused the graphics, otherwise they probably wouldn't have been able to make it. I get people not liking X-2, but worst game ever? That'd be FFVIII!

Just be glad they never followed through with X-3, with Rikku as the main.

Agree, it started so strong, and then just completely faded out. Could have been an amazing story, but they wasted it.
    I would have to disagree mate. I would say that FFIX was the best but FFVIII would be the 2nd so chip to you!........yes I am british.

Sir
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonuctifette View Post
    testudo erat numen is actually pretty good. as for the worst, as a blackwing player i would have to say that gust the back blast is the worst
    I agree, its a pitty that the designer didn`t have time for their work;)

Well, having seen what Dirge of Cerberus had to offer I am now completely convinced that anything in any compilation that Squeenix shits out is considered the worst and that includes FFVII's compilation.

Mad Duck
    Mystic Quest gets my vote for worst ever. At least the other games were trying not to suck. Mystic Quest sucks on purpose!

Y'all need to post more :/ Shinryu's Avatar
    I'ma say FF2j, FF8, and FFX-2. 2j just sucked, 8 turned me off the series entirely, and X-2 was just a game of dress-me-up princess mixed with button mashing.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton, 1950-2011
    "They said the NDP would never break through in Quebec. They said the NDP could never win in Alberta. Canadians want change. Change is what the NDP is." - Thomas Mulcair, NDP Leader

FFXIII-2 is making a pretty solid play for worst FF ever. "But...everything is so shiny!" Is there really only two permanent playable characters? This game is a nightmare. I want my $16 back.

FFXIII-2 is making a pretty solid play for worst FF ever. "But...everything is so shiny!" Is there really only two permanent playable characters? This game is a nightmare. I want my $16 back.
    Yeah, you only get the two plus whatever Pokemon you store on your Demon Summoning App and Snow for that very brief period of time early on. Its pretty much the worst game in the series thus far, at least until XIII-3 comes out. And its mostly due to the fact that instead of resolving 'paradoxes' anything the developers chose to go and say "Hey. Isn't our villain the most awesomest villain you've ever seen?" instead. In short I'm sorry for your loss of your $16.

Is XII-2 a full installment? $16 seems on the low side.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Its a lot like X-2 in that its mostly made up of reused and recycled assets, retcons its predecessor, has presumably better gameplay except for the one or two major flaws that takes the piss out of the tradeoff, and had its plot and characters drafted by the summer intern who spends way too much time on fanfiction.net.

Actually I'm just going to cut to the chase and leave this LP and a link to this particular video featuring the final secret non-DLC ending here to illustrate the problems the game has.

Also the $16 doesn't cover the DLC which contains the best part of the game; specifically Chronobind.

Edit:
    Also also, the gimmick of the stage that the video starts out in involves platforming.
    Last edited by Killmore; 10-19-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmarole View Post
    Is XII-2 a full installment? $16 seems on the low side.
    Yup, full game. It's $39.99 new at Wal-Mart / Target / Best Buy, but I got it for $16 new from Amazon. I would guess you could buy it for less than $10 off eBay.

Two playable characters and dumbing down the crystarium are game breakers for me. I can find nothing redeeming about this title. Fucking FF meets Pokemon - no thank you. I doubt I'll ever pick it up again.

I need something to play for the PS3. I want new Skyrim content but that's probably not going to happen any time soon.
    Last edited by LockeJV; 10-19-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Thread Information