Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: final fantasy FOURTEEN!!!!!!

admirer of the only true british ff character balthierfan's Avatar

final fantasy FOURTEEN!!!!!!

I don't know if you've seen this but Squeenix has supposably confirmed that they are making ff14

And its gonna be another b***** MMORPG like ff11.

does anyone else have any thoughts or info on it?
    the best and also worst motto i've ever had..

"relax - you'll live longer"

Yes, they have confirmed it and it will be another MMORPG. Screenshots and trailers seem to indicate that it'll be similar to FFXI in many ways, but we don't have much info yet. It's due out next year.

Once a Great Tit, Always a Great Tit Skankin' Garbage's Avatar
    They're talking about making it multi-platform, but so far, they've only announced it for PS3.

Does this seem like a stupid move to anyone else? I mean, the biggest fanbase of MMO players is PC, so why make it PS3 exclusive? I know they're saying that they're "looking into" making it multi-platform, but I'd be surprised if they didn't, and even more surprised if it were successful in spite of being released on just PS3.

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Spoiler: Magic (still) ROCKS!

http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/26/08)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

The official site already shows both PS3 and PC (go to Information).

But this is pointless...why make another MMORPG?

- If ff14 does work then all the ff11 fans will either stay put with one MMORPG,
    they're unlikely to play both becos of expensises and time...although if played by ps3 it
    could be free (in the sense of no monthly/quaterly payments)

- They keep pumping out expansions of ff11 so if they do the same for ff14, players are
    gonna have a lot of money to pay (again)...

- they will have only done two proper games between MMORPGs...you'd expect more...
    i hope this isn't gonna be a pattern...

Ancient RPGC Relic
    Quote Originally Posted by Skankin' Garbage View Post
    Does this seem like a stupid move to anyone else? I mean, the biggest fanbase of MMO players is PC
    Other than WoW, I really don't know about this. Not contradicting it, just saying, XBL seems like it has the MMO market on lockdown other than for RPGs. I think not releasing it to 360 would be stupider.

The trailer looks IMPRESSIVE though. I'm getting some FF vibe from it I haven't felt since IX. I'd still prefer if it was not a pay-per-month MMO though. F that S.
    Last edited by Hades Vulvuhzela; 06-06-2009 at 04:23 AM.

You never know. Players might be able to import their characters into FF14, so they'd be able to enjoy spiffy new graphics, new locations, abilities etc. while not losing their thousands of hours of work.

Once a Great Tit, Always a Great Tit Skankin' Garbage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hades Shinigami View Post
    Other than WoW, I really don't know about this. Not contradicting it, just saying, XBL seems like it has the MMO market on lockdown other than for RPGs. I think not releasing it to 360 would be stupider.

The trailer looks IMPRESSIVE though. I'm getting some FF vibe from it I haven't felt since IX. I'd still prefer if it was not a pay-per-month MMO though. F that S.
    That could be true. The more important point I was making was "wtf PS3!?!?" But yeah :P

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Spoiler: Magic (still) ROCKS!

http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/26/08)

Ancient RPGC Relic
    I remember being one of the only people with any faith at all in the PS3: it plays blu-ray discs, it had a respectable list of exclusive titles (FFXIII was a list on its own, before SE realized it wasn't feasible to release it as a PS3 exclusive), and PS2 compatibility among other things. That really didn't pan out well. I think monthly PS2 sales are STILL higher than PS3.

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    I find the whole PS3 only thing to be hilarious since I'm certain that in the end we're all going to get it eventually (except for Wii and portable owners). It doesn't really matter that the other versions wont be coming immediately.

And considering that it was only announced a little under a week ago I wouldn't be surprised if the 360 + PC ports are officially announced somewhere between now and when it comes out for the PS3.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

They're moving away from FFXI because anything added has to be able to work with the PS2; a lot of players are still using it. So they are pretty limited with what they can do in expansions.

FFXIV will probably be available for the 360 as well, I wouldn't worry about it.

What surprises me is that the character models are straight from XI, and rumor says there is no PVP.

Also there won't be experience points; your character will develop based on progress through the storyline (missions) and weapon usage. Also, it's supposed to be much more friendly for single players, so you don't have to stand around LFG for 4 hours before you can accomplish anything.

Nobuo is doing a majority of the music.

It looks like all the servers will be in Japan again, which is pathetic - especially for a game that "will rely heavily on timing".

Manipulated Dead
    Ugh... it seems Square has resigned the series to being online play for the future. I keep holding out hope that one day, Square will have one last hurrah and make a console rpg Final Fantasy as the same quality as FFVI or FFVII, as a denoument for the series. But its seeming more like wishful thinking.
    Last edited by Curtis; 06-10-2009 at 01:46 AM.
    There's no gettin' off this train we on.

Um? FFXIII (in all three parts) is offline. I highly doubt FFXV will be online, too. As for quality, your mileage may vary. FF is all about experimentation, and hopefully they'll hit the sweet spot on one of their iterations.

Manipulated Dead
    Ah, I completely forgot that there was no FFXIII yet :P that's good news. FF used to be about experimentation, but you could also argue its the lack of experimentation - the sticking to old plot and character types - that's defined the series since FF7. That's what I believe, and I hope there is "one last hurrah" or a revival.
    There's no gettin' off this train we on.

I think DQ remains Squeenix's "nostalgia" series. FF always has some familiarity, but does tend to strike in new directions in each installment.

Squeenix needs to stop wasting money making shitty MMO's and spin-offs and go back to making RPG's that make me want to waste time with controller in hand.
    Twitter: jeremyjackson89

Amen to that.

I've been looking around and there's a common rumour that it will be a bit like an indirect
    sequel of FFXI (like FFTactics and FF12 or the three FF13s) ie. same world, different time...

Also, there quite an uproar about this...alot of ff11 players seem to be battling it out on
    the forums but it seems the majority don't want another MMORPG for a while...but aren't
    intirely against it...

I Don't Bless Them
    Let's face it: the gamer is a dying breed. Square-Enix, like other companies, want to appeal to the general gamer more than they want to cater to a fan-based audience. While a fan-based audience will have more loyalty towards a franchise, they are less in number than a general audience. Therefore, a general audience has more money.

One might think that's a nonsequitor, but by incorporating MMORPGs such as FFXI and FFIV into the FF canon, they are embracing what is popular now (and has been for some time): things like World of Warcraft. Cid says that Square-Enix is innovating with their franchise, but I disagree. They are cynically counting on addicts subscribers to flock to their games based on the success of similar games. As soon as FFXI hit, we saw one of the signs that the DEATH of innovation in video games is near. Even FF's recent console RPG, FFXII, showed major influence from MMORPGs in its combat style.

Yes, FFXIII boasts a completely different combat system, but from what I have seen it is only superficially different. They return to ATB, but in such a way that can easily be done in an MMO setting. If FFXIII fails, we can look forward to more bland auto-combat with occassional button presses that MMOs boast. I can only hope for the success of FFXIII, and the utter failure of FFIV. But I don't think that will happen. We are in the midst of a Dark Age of gaming... hopefully we'll see the Renaissance soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Genericangstyposter View Post
    Square-Enix, like other companies, want to appeal to the general gamer more than they want to cater to a fan-based audience. One might think that's a nonsequitor...
    Square's direction to appeal to a broader audience was readily apparent with FFVII. Of course they want to appeal to a broader audience. They're not going to survive otherwise.

...by incorporating MMORPGs such as FFXI and FFIV into the FF canon, they are embracing what is popular now (and has been for some time): things like World of Warcraft.
    This might make sense if WoW came out before FFXI. "FF Online" was given the roman numeral "XI" to encourage loyal fans of the series to play it. It was a great marketing move for a lot of reasons; they put their most successful brand name on the line and said that XI would measure up to the offline games. That's rather significant if you think about it.

Cid says that Square-Enix is innovating with their franchise, but I disagree. They are cynically counting on addicts subscribers to flock to their games based on the success of similar games.
    The combat system in XIII looks pretty different than anything I've seen. But I haven't played or watched the demo, so I can't speak to it. XIV, however, is going to be timing based, fighting large groups of enemies, with a class system based on weapons and no experience points. Of course it's all a variation of the RPG combat theme, but these are significant changes that haven't been done before in an online game. I'm pretty sure that makes them..."innovations".

I'm not sure what you're expecting.

As soon as FFXI hit, we saw one of the signs that the DEATH of innovation in video games is near.
    Wow. Did you play FFXI prior to 2005, or have you ever played it for that matter? You believe FFXI is a rehash of a game that hadn't come out yet. Pretty ignorant.

Wouldn't FF9 have actually been the death of innovation, because the game took the series back to its roots?

we can look forward to more bland auto-combat with occassional button presses that MMOs boast. I can only hope for the success of FFXIII, and the utter failure of FFIV. But I don't think that will happen. We are in the midst of a Dark Age of gaming... hopefully we'll see the Renaissance soon.
    SO MMOs only offer occasional button presses? What are you basing this nonsense on? MMOs are generally easy in the lower levels, for learning curve purposes, but become increasingly complex as your level increases. And when you're raiding endgame, you have to be engaged at a level that no offline RPG can even begin to approach.

I'd really like to see you attempt to put some substance around your judgements of MMO's being non-innovative and only offering "occasional button presses". I'd like to see you tank as a 75 Ninja in FFXI or PVP successfully as a Rogue in WoW using an "occasional button press".

MMOs offer more gameplay depth and require more skill than any offline RPG. It's not even close.
    Last edited by LockeJV; 06-25-2009 at 09:11 PM.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta... Kasey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killmore View Post
    I find the whole PS3 only thing to be hilarious since I'm certain that in the end we're all going to get it eventually (except for Wii and portable owners).
    Why wouldn't us Wii people get them if they became that popular? PS3 is pretty different from wii, isn't it? I don't think there's enough games for wii and ps3 to keep a Wii person from getting one if they were the thing "everyone' had.
    Bringing excessive social awkwardness to the Agora est. 2009

I Don't Bless Them
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJV View Post
    MMOs offer more depth and require skill levels light years beyond anything required to beat any offline RPG.
    I don't really give a shit about your arguments, but this made me laugh. MMOs are casual feces shoved down the throat of the masses. There's no ultimate goal to playing them, and there's no actual skill required. I was mistaken only in the date that WoW came out- my other arguments still stand. Also, I had a level forty dwarven fighter in WoW- I know firsthand that MMOs are nothing but ridiculously boring repetition. It may or may not be difficult in the endgame (I obviously didn't get there), but difficulty is irrelevent. It's difficult to shove a dagger in your ass without bleeding, but you're still stupid for trying it.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta... Kasey's Avatar
    From my experience, MMO's are a giant game of grinding. There's a lot of fighting....and no end. What's the point?
    Maybe I'm prejudiced against them from watching my parents spend entire days playing Asheron's Call and doing nothing else.
    I like the end! It somehow...justifies the horrendous amount of hours I put into the game.
    Bringing excessive social awkwardness to the Agora est. 2009

I don't really give a shit about your arguments, but this made me laugh. MMOs are casual feces shoved down the throat of the masses. There's no ultimate goal to playing them, and there's no actual skill required. I was mistaken only in the date that WoW came out- my other arguments still stand. Also, I had a level forty dwarven fighter in WoW- I know firsthand that MMOs are nothing but ridiculously boring repetition. It may or may not be difficult in the endgame (I obviously didn't get there), but difficulty is irrelevent. It's difficult to shove a dagger in your ass without bleeding, but you're still stupid for trying it.
    So instead of substantiating your claim, you compare MMO's to sticking things in your ass, and then label anyone who plays them as stupid. That makes for some excellent discussion about the rather bold comments you made in your previous post, GAP.

When did WoW have a "fighter" class? You must have spent so much time playing you unlocked a class that doesn't exist.

MMO's probably have 12 million subscribers, while Nintendo has sold how many Wii/DS consles? 150 million? The masses are playing Nintendo, not MMO's.

It's funny to see someone who lists FFVI as their favorite game complain about other games being repetitive. What percentage of the time is "Fight" the most efficient command to use in battle in FFVI? Breaking news - RPGs are repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    From my experience, MMO's are a giant game of grinding. There's a lot of fighting....and no end. What's the point?
    Why do MMO critics believe the games have infinite content? How does that work exactly? When FFXI came out, when you beat Shadowlord, you "won". You could always earn more money or help others defeat him, but you completed the content. But apparently because "The End" doesn't flash across the screen, MMO critics decide that you accomplished nothing. Even though you completed the content. Makes perfect sense.

Expansions come out, adding more content, to keep the subscription model going. But there's always an end to that content. In FFXI it's missions; in WoW it's dungeons.

I'm not playing any MMO's right now...haven't played more than casually for years. And I'll criticize them til I'm blue in the face. There's a lot of things I don't like about them. However, people who haven't played have these notions that "there's no end", "you just sit and watch", and "there's no skill involved" - each are terribly wrong.
    Last edited by LockeJV; 06-25-2009 at 11:23 PM.

I Don't Bless Them
    Warrior. You know what I meant. I haven't played it in two years. Also, I'm not in the mood for discussion right now. I'm more in the mood for everyone and everything on the face of the Earth to die horribly.
    Last edited by Genericangstyposter; 06-25-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Warrior. You know what I meant. I haven't played it in two years. Also, I'm not in the mood for discussion right now. I'm more in the mood for everyone and everything on the face of the Earth to die horribly.
    I'm sorry. Hit the bong and learn some rages for Gau. Always works for me.

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Why wouldn't us Wii people get them if they became that popular? PS3 is pretty different from wii, isn't it? I don't think there's enough games for wii and ps3 to keep a Wii person from getting one if they were the thing "everyone' had.
    Well first off Nintendo's online services suck, and second I suspect that FF XIV will be geared to make the most of higher end consoles which the Wii is not. Also, there's the issue with memory (and no the SD card support isn't a solution so much as it's a temporary fix-it).

And besides the Wii has all of those Crystal Chronicles games which are probably close enough in the end.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

Runaway Dog
    The game looks amazing. Does anyone know the approx EDR (Estimated Date of Release)? Will there be a PC version?

seeing as ff13 is supposed to be released in december2009/may/june2010 (japan/usa and europe)

I'll estimate jan/feb 2011. (gives it a year and more to be finished and released)

Post-Zeppelinist Anarcho-Samurai 6969ballsballsbal Ramza's Avatar
    I had a level forty dwarven fighter in WoW- I know
    lol
    No, we're staying here. We're gonna find out who that fucking Nick Flannel is and rule the fucking school. So run home and open your presents, I hope you get a new pillow to cry into. Shit.
    -Ronny the Bear

Thread Information