Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breath of Fire 2 - Retranslation

I
    FUCKING
    HATE
    THIS

MOTHERFUCKING
    MINIGAME!!

I'm rhythmically challenged and this fucker just tortured me all through my youth. I eventually managed to do "that room" in Link's Awakening's 2nd dungeon and figured out how to pass the goddamn barrel of doom in Sonic 3, but I could never pull this one off. Ever. Even now.

I don't even CARE about getting Boombada, but every time I get to this part of the game, it feels like the damn thing is laughing at me.

EDIT:
    HOLY PENIS

I DID IT

HOW!? I wasn't even paying attention, I was about to give up! What was different that one time from the other five billion? Bah, whatever, I FINALLY made it work. Hallelujah and all that. Now I'll be hearing that fucking chime till the day I drop.
    Last edited by Seraphim Ephyon; 05-07-2009 at 10:16 PM.
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

Quote Originally Posted by Killmore View Post
    You should realize that your comparison was like comparing of apples to oranges.

A bad translation of a shooter will only ruin the suspension of disbelief, whereas, a bad translation of an RPG could ruin the entire story if it's horrendous enough like in BoF2 or FFT.

FFT's translation is nowhere near as terrible as BOF2.

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    Right but both translations drastically lowered the probability of the game's story being understood compared to Zero Wing's silly but harmless 'All your bases are belong to us!' lines.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

You know, there's something I've always wondered about this game. What exactly does Will do?

I assume you mean the status signaled by fires, the one previously named Guts.

Everyone has a chance of randomly resisting a deathblow and surviving with 1HP. The chances are determined by the amount of Will. Despite the fires, it's still a numerical stat ranging from 1 to 255, or zero to a maximum of seven fires. Ryu's will is usually astronomically higher to everyone else's, especially at higher levels.

That's good, because it has one other use: The amount of HP recovered by Ryu's Guts command is calculated using his remaining HP and his Will. The less HP he has left, the more HP Guts will recover, but higher Will increases that even more.

If you mean Nina's skill, it just recovers 14 (or was it 16?) AP with a 30% chance of doing nothing. If her remaining AP is 0, it recovers 24 AP instead. It's somewhat similar to Ryu's Guts, but the amount recovered is fixed and totally independant from her Will.

Also, OOT, holy shit, this new spell is actually useful. Sure, it doesn't work in boss battles, but it knocks half of the King Sludges' HP on one hit at just 20AP. Nice.
    Last edited by Seraphim Ephyon; 05-08-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

I did mean the thing with the fires, thanks. It's been so long, I couldn't remember what it was originally called.

Off topic, but I'm sure the Zelda rhythm minigame was in Oracle of Ages, not Link's Awakening.
    And yes, it really sucked that you had to win twice to be able to finish the next dungeon.

(though there was also one in Oracle of Seasons, I don't think it was required.)
    Last edited by KingMike; 05-16-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Lone wanderer in infinity Manus Dei's Avatar
    I HATE THE MINIGAME! Seriously, is there a way to automatically input the sequence or something? Even if you know which buttons to push, you need perfect timing and coordination. That's one part of the game I never managed to do.
    "By dreaming, we transcend and surpass simple life and the boundaries of time and space, touching the essence of eternity. Our dreams release us from the shackles of daily life and sometimes empower us to change reality."

-- Memories of a Guardian

HOLY SHIT.

This just dawned on me and I swear it blew my fucking mind.

In the original script, the name used is "Nikanoru", which doesn't mean anything either in the game or in popular culture. Nicanor is also a very valid way of romanizing that, except here it DOES have a meaning, and a rather surprising one at that. It's true that BoF2 had a number of very surprisingly western references all over, but this one takes the cake:

"Nicanor, que es el nombre por el cual la muerte nos conoce a todos los hombres en el instante de morir" ("Nicanor, which is the name by which death knows all us men at the time of demise.").

-El Otoño del Patriarca, Gabriel García Marquez.
    What. The. Fuck. The line itself even only makes sense in the novel when you realize he's making a reference to ANOTHER story by Eduardo Maella. No, it doesn't even make sense in the context of the novel, or latinoamerican literature, or anything, it's something he makes up right there. I just picked it up because by sheer fucking luck I happened to read both stories recently.

What the bloody hell?

Nicanor means "he who beats men" in Greek, so it kinda makes sense. Btw who are your three favorite writers who wrote in Castellano (looking for stuff to read)?

edits: Beats has the meaning of annihilate in names making reference to men. Heh.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Thread Information