Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Neo Food of the Day

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came Cavelcade's Avatar
    Raw carrots are where it's at. Cooked are okay, especially if cooked in the juices of ham, but raw is best.
    An Unkindness of ravens.
    - The most awesome collective noun ever? Yes. Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Saturn
    Pfft. Human hand weeds. That's nothin--- I mean, WHAT? WTF?

Raw carrots, yes. Discard the top and you're set.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    Carrots = Please.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

The Greatest Defender of Freedom and Liberty on These Boards The 984's Avatar
    Food #8:
    Lamb

I enjoy lamb. Can't cook it, but then again, I haven't tried. It's tender and has a nice taste to it. I was first exposed to it at a Brazilian gaucho restaurant in 04. I've had it a few times since then, and it's been good each time.

Any suggestions on how to cook it? Actually, any suggestions on where to even purchase it? It's not really stocked in regular grocery stores.
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

What kinda lamb? Roast or chops? Both are great. So tender. Even if they make my stomach complain like a bitch. :(
    An Unkindness of ravens.

It's ok...I don't really have an opinion on it, though. Not many lambs to eat around here from what I've seen. lol
    It's been forever since I've even had it.

"Today's the day...the day we bring the end." -??? (Me?)

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

Chops. I've had roast once or twice, but my exposure has been primarily chops.
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

I Don't Bless Them
    I love lamb, especially in gyros. I wish I knew how to cook it, too. I briefly worked in the meat department in Price Chopper, so I can tell you they DO carry it in normal grocery stores. It can be expensive, though.

Vegetarian.
    "I believe in my tusks.
    Long live freedom and damn the ideologies"
    -Robinson Jeffers, The Stars Go Over the Lonely Ocean

With liberty and justice for all Kairi's Avatar
    I can never remember if it's rabbit or lamb I've had in the past. One of them I don't like and the other I have never tried. I think it's lamb that I've had. If it is, then I don't like the weird after taste of it.
    < Ezboarder > Use protection, and the only thing you test positive for is being awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Arac
    That's a low blow; you know I'm lactose intolerant, and can accordingly only skim your whining, for health reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth Katana
    Ah yes, the good old "you're all pieces on a chessboard that I bought and own" bit. One of my favourites, it is. It almost makes one wonder why you're posting on a message board about video games.

My grandma collects plushie lambs.

Lamb Of God kicks serious ass...

but anyway, lamb is good
    Ben Roethlisberger is a huge dickhead...I have proof.

WHO DEY!!!!

Lamb = Never had it.
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

Lamb is traditional Easter food here.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

What is this I don't even pokefreak_85's Avatar
    Missed carrots, but they're not really something that I really care about. I eat them when they're around, but I don't really care if there are none.

Lamb.. I think I've eaten a sort of lamb-stew once. Was kinda disappointed. Not with the lamb, but that they said the stew was very strong (as in "are you absolutely sure you want this?"-kind of strong), then it wasn't.
    Can't say much about the lamb, since I only ate it once, and the strong (but not THAT strong) spices made it taste like any other meat with lots of spices.

How can you not know how to cook lamb chops? Put oil in frying pan, fry until brown. Serve with potato type of your choice and salt/some other seasoning maybe pepper I dunno.
    An Unkindness of ravens.

I didn't know how to cook them because I didn't know if there was a special doneness to cook them to. I know duck is supposed to be served medium rare. While it's not a bird, I didn't know if there were similar "requirements" for proper lamb.
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

You have to cook lamb a certain way or it can be real bad. I remember I thought I hated it for a long time until I had well-prepared lamb, back when I ate meat.
    "I believe in my tusks.
    Long live freedom and damn the ideologies"
    -Robinson Jeffers, The Stars Go Over the Lonely Ocean

Food #9:
    Brunswick Stew

Brunswick stew is a regional dish, originating in Brunswick, Georgia (Brunswick County, Virginia can go fuck itself). It's traditionally made with game meat like squirrels or whatever. Nowadays, it's usually a mix of chicken, beef, and other numnums. I have a pretty good recipe. It's on the hot side, but I like my Brunswick stew hot.
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

I Don't Bless Them
    What's in it besides meat? If you have a good recipe, you should share it.

I've never had it, but I'm not much of stew-eater so I probably wouldn't care for it.

What is this I don't even pokefreak_85's Avatar
    Never tried it because, as you say, it's regional.

But I'm kinda wondering about making squirrel stew. Wouldn't you need quite a lot of squirrels if you're going to feed a generic family of 4-5 people?

Serves: 24
    Ingredients:

3 pounds ground turkey or beef
    4 cups chopped onions (I tend to skip the onions. I don't think they add anything)
    2 rotisserie chickens, skin and bones removed and meat shredded
    3 (15-ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup (can be 99 percent fat free)
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (can be 99 percent fat free) (I usually substitute this with another can of cream of chicken soup)
    1 cup barbecue sauce
    1 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup hot chili sauce
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I go with about 3 or 4 usually)
    1 teaspoon hot sauce (Yeah, I throw in more than that)
    1 teaspoon ground ginger (I do about 3 teaspoons)
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper (I end up actually going with like 6 teaspoons. Like I said, I like it hot)
    2 quarts chicken broth, as needed (can be 99 percent fat free) (I go with about 1.5 or 1.75 quarts so it's not quite as runny. I prefer slightly more solid stew)
    2 (15-ounce) cans creamed corn
    1 (15-ounce) can whole yellow corn, drained
    1 teaspoon salt (optional)

Instructions:
    In a large stockpot (at least 8 quarts), brown the ground meat over medium heat, chopping it as you go. Drain off the excess fat and add the onions. Simmer until the onions are transparent, about 5 minutes. Add the shredded chicken meat, chopped tomatoes, the canned condensed soups, barbecue sauce, ketchup, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, ginger and pepper. Add 1 quart of the chicken broth. Stir well. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, partially cover the pot with a lid and simmer at least 2 hours but up to 6 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Add additional chicken broth as needed.
    In the last hour of cooking, add the creamed corn and the whole corn. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference, adding the salt only if necessary.

Other notes. I go with the 6 hour figure. I think it lets the flavors better meld.
    Last edited by The 984; 02-05-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

My mom LOVES Brunswick stew. When my parents visit my grandparents, they always stop at this one barbecue place so she can get a couple of quarts to stick in the freezer. I'm not so big on it, but I'm happy for her. :)

I Don't Bless Them
    Oh man... that sounds good. It makes me almost wish I had to cook for that many people. Almost.

I guess you could scale it down to make 12 servings (ONLY 1 CHICKEN!), but I've never been a big fan of scaling down stew recipes. Something about how I don't know if time should scale too.

You can always freeze the left overs like Vicki's mom does.
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

Brunswick Stew = I'll tell you once I visit Georgia.

It's no Irish stew (probably)!
    An Unkindness of ravens.

I Don't Bless Them
    You're not Irish stew either! This doesn't mean that you wouldn't taste good with biscuits (American biscuits, not fucking cookies).

Food #10:
    Mustard

I've grown to like mustard. I used to only like honey mustard, namely for salads and fried chicken. However, I've grown to like the yellow mustard variety. Great for hotdogs and burgers.
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

Thread Information