View Poll Results: Are you a collector of sorts?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am.

22 78.57%
  • Nope, seems dumb to me.

6 21.43%

Thread: Are you a packrat?

Are you a packrat?

I'm just a little curious, who here is a packrat when it coems to RPGs? You know, like you collect one of every item/equipment in the game, never sell anything unless absolutely neccesary/you have a spare, etc. I do this a lot, and just want to know if anyone else does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral
    I don't get why it is most people think they can't have decent conversations with me. Do I sound like Conan the barbarian on the boards "URgh ARgh, EERRAAGHH Moo"?
    Hello, All! Don't forget this thread is here!

GG Crono 4: "Aim for the crotch" is the best slogan ever.
    GG Crono 4: For anything.
    GG Crono 4: Ever.
    GG Crono 4: In fact, existing products would be SO much better if they used that slogan.
    GG Crono 4: "Wiffle Ball: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Lawn Darts: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Tampax: Aim For The Crotch!"

Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came Cavelcade's Avatar
    Oh god yes that's me in a nutshell in RPGs. -_-
    An Unkindness of ravens.
    - The most awesome collective noun ever? Yes. Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Saturn
    Pfft. Human hand weeds. That's nothin--- I mean, WHAT? WTF?

Let me tell you one thing: Better safe than sorry. And I feel far safer when my lone ranger has enough equipment with him to equip a small army. You know, just in case.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Yeah, because you never know when that small knife and buckler might come in handy.
    I don't get why it is most people think they can't have decent conversations with me. Do I sound like Conan the barbarian on the boards "URgh ARgh, EERRAAGHH Moo"?

GG Crono 4: In fact, existing products would be SO much better if they used that slogan.

Yep I sure do know I am. Not only does all this stuff come in handy, but if I don't need it, it makes one hell of a yard sale that can make me rake in the gold, gil, dollars. etc.

Cavelcade, that comic is funny as hell! xD I could definately see God doing that to mess with us.

Which FF Character Are You?

.:Neptune:.
    "You are a very passionate person, however, this passion often remains hidden below the surface. You have a great deal of compassion for others and are always willing to help those in need. You have a great generosity, sometimes so great that you neglect yourself while giving to others. You also have a stubborn side, though, which serves to protect you from being taken advantage of by those you help."

[damn quizilla's need to log in, can't get the picture too!]

One Cute Girl!!!!!!!

Immortal_Quina

Packrat is me all right

I admit to being a packrat, always have and always will, I love just keeping everything I get ahold of, well at least 1 of the item, even if I have limited inventory space.. should really see my inventory in FFXI lol..ugh

Many a man's life has been saved by the +3 / +3 bonus a knife and a buckler afford.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Y'all need to post more :/ Shinryu's Avatar
    I keep *some* things, but only as long as they're not totally outclassed.

IE: I'll keep the Thunderblade, Blizzard, and Flame Sabre in FFVI at least until I can start buying Enhancers. Then I sell. :P

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton, 1950-2011
    "They said the NDP would never break through in Quebec. They said the NDP could never win in Alberta. Canadians want change. Change is what the NDP is." - Thomas Mulcair, NDP Leader

There's kinda code for giving you multipe items somerewhere but i can't remember. I just like raking in the dough.

Which FF Character Are You?

.:Neptune:.
    "You are a very passionate person, however, this passion often remains hidden below the surface. You have a great deal of compassion for others and are always willing to help those in need. You have a great generosity, sometimes so great that you neglect yourself while giving to others. You also have a stubborn side, though, which serves to protect you from being taken advantage of by those you help."

[damn quizilla's need to log in, can't get the picture too!]

One Cute Girl!!!!!!!

i always do that. In my FFX file, I still have everyone's original weapons/armor. I always keep everything in RPG's

"You look like a bear wearing a marshmellow"- Cloud Strife

"Words aren't the only thing that tell people what you're thinking" - Tifa Lockhart

"Stop running! I know... Even if you find the kids, you might not be able to help them. Something could happen that can never unhappen. That scares you, doesn't it? But you have to focus on right now. Really take it in! Look at you. You think you've got it so damn hard. Well, you hate being alone, so let people in. You won't answer the phone, but I don't see you throwing it away, either!" - Tifa Lockhart(FFVII-AC)

"Would you stop acting like a retard and climb!?" Tifa to Barret

"Pick spot. Shut up. Wait." Kimahri Ronso

"When I grow up, I wanna be a blitzball!" Kilika kid(FFX)

"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Rikku!" Rikku (FFX-2)

"Cetra? That some kinda disease? " - Barret Wallace

"Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and drink your goddamn TEA! Arggggggh! DAMN, I'm pissed!" - Cid Highwind

The Man called Wil Wilfredo Martinez's Avatar
    Yeah, I definitely look up to find (and do) everything on my first playthrough of a game (which is usually my only one.) Unfortunately, most modern RPGs are making it damn hard to find some things (like the Legendary Weapons in FFX) and some can only be found in the SECOND play-thru (like some of the bonus stuff in Wild Arms 4) Man I hate that!
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Sijo

oh God, Wil, don;t tell me you bought WA4! Please!

Manipulated Dead
    Not a packrat per se, but I have trouble throwing things away, because I attach meaning to even the most miniscule items.

Generally, no. I'm becoming more of one as I play games where I can actually use older items (like with the alchemy pot in DQ8), but I don't like the clutter. Also, I like money. :D

The Man called Wil Wilfredo Martinez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie Esker
    oh God, Wil, don;t tell me you bought WA4! Please!
    ...O-kay, I won't tell you.

*whistles innocently*
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Sijo

You know, I used to. Until I played FFIX and you get to that dungeon where the only weapons that do damage are the ones you started off with, same for armor. After that dungeon I never saved anything ever again.
    Still, to adorn his humble youth,
    Nor wealth nor birth their treasures yield;
    But he who seeks the flowers of truth,
    Must quit the garden for the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    You know, I used to. Until I played FFIX and you get to that dungeon where the only weapons that do damage are the ones you started off with, same for armor. After that dungeon I never saved anything ever again.
    Wait... so you used to do it until there was the one dungeon ever that actually justified keeping your old and outdated armor from the very beginning of the game... and then after it, you never did it again? I'm kinda confused.

The internet has left me in dispair! demigod's Avatar
    I just bought the Diablo II battlechest package Tuesday and started with Diablo. Because of the ridiculously small inventory allotment you're given, the center of Tristram has become more or less a dumping ground for everything I can't bring myself to sell off.
    What sig?

Was Tristram in Diablo II as well? I think I must bury out my copy...

Tristram was in Diablo 2, but it was deserted and overun by monsters, including a horrible zombie Griswald. Not a place you want to stay for long.

Zombie Griswald. I remember now...

Yes, you are correct.
    Still, to adorn his humble youth,
    Nor wealth nor birth their treasures yield;
    But he who seeks the flowers of truth,
    Must quit the garden for the field.

I'm a packrat in DiabloII. I keep everything and then move it to my mules.

Has anyone tried the Tristam Hellfire Torch quest? I've only gotten one of the keys and I'm currently hitting the Countess for the second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlemagne
    "I think my penis is broken."

As for Science vs. Religion Iím issuing a restraining order. Science should stay 500 yards from religion at all times.

Hexplosive Personality BahamutXero's Avatar
    I used to be, but then Gamestop was having awesome trade-in sales. Now, the only games I've kept are all my Final Fantasies. Damn! I'm so pissed that III had to be on DS! To this day, I still say they should have bundled it in Final Fantasy Origins for the PSX. I mean, III is now the only one that hasn't been released on the PSX/PS2.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    I collect equipment on most occasions because if I sell all of my equipment for the money than I wouldn't be encourged to levelgrind as much.

I'm espesally stingy in Fire Emblem and SaGa games where keeping a spare set of weapons can save your life.

Of course I will sell in Dragon Quest games and the like especially when a couple of G's are needed for an item or equipment nessary to beat the game/advance the plot and you're only getting one or two hundered from a group of enemies at most.

Hexplosive Personality BahamutXero's Avatar
    Whoops, misread the question. In games, I do try to get everyting, but only if it'll help out my chraracters or add more plot. Anything extra a normally sell. I'm a huge money whore though. I only spend money to get the best stuff at any current time. If I don't need it, or it isn't the best, (for that particular part of the game) I won't get it.
    "Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

I usually don't sell because it usually doesn't pay well (and those that do pay well are too good to sell). And sometimes I just have other reasons (for example, in DQVIII i won't sell my monster coins, thought that's all theyre good for, because I want to know how many of those monsters I've defeated.
    Also, I want to have at least one of everything. In fact, there are a few games where I went to shops worldwide to make sure I have at least one of everything.
    "The President recognizes wars are like snowflakes: each similar, yet each unique, each in its own way capable of killing thousands of men."
    - John Oliver

I am not a packrat..I sell items sometimes. But I like to have a decent inventory.

What is this I don't even pokefreak_85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neiru_3
    I am not a packrat..I sell items sometimes. But I like to have a decent inventory.
    I never really keep equipment unless there is some extra bonus (elemental affinity for example) attached to it.
    With the possible exception of items that the characters have an emotional attachment to.
    I might keep them depending on how much I care about the character.

As soon as I find something better, it's time for trade-in to keep my cash level decent at all times.

I really stock up on rare items though.
    Most of the times when I get this big I-Win-Button item I sit and hold on to them forever just in case I would need it later. (End credits can be dangerous, you know.)

With liberty and justice for all Kairi's Avatar
    I don't play too many RPGS, but when I do, I pack rat. Because packrat is a verb now. I might need it...You never know. At least I don't know since I usually play games without checking up what exactly I'm supposed to be doing.

Guess I get this habbit from real life. I am such a packrat.
    < Ezboarder > Use protection, and the only thing you test positive for is being awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Arac
    That's a low blow; you know I'm lactose intolerant, and can accordingly only skim your whining, for health reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth Katana
    Ah yes, the good old "you're all pieces on a chessboard that I bought and own" bit. One of my favourites, it is. It almost makes one wonder why you're posting on a message board about video games.

Thread Information