Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone fell sorry for Sephiroth?

does anyone fell sorry for Sephiroth?

he was driven insane after he found out how he was created, and it was Hojo that created him?
    so the way I see it Hojo is the REAL villian

No, I don't "fell" sorry for Sephiroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas
    No, I don't "fell" sorry for Sephiroth.
    Hehe, beat me to it : \. On topic, I don't feel sorry for him. He did try to destroy the world, because he's a momma's boy >_>.

Mi-Mi-Mikuru Beam! Dragons Revenge's Avatar
    Is this something to bring up almost 10 years after the game came out?

I dont feel sorry for him. I feel sorry that poor <--/--> Materia. Who actually used it?

I pitied Sephiroth at the end. Such a strong, proud man, brought down by delusions. And at the end, when all his plans and power had been destroyed, he was defeated in his greatest skil, his swordsmanship. Such a sad creature....

Ya I do!................naaa no I don't. Man Sephiroth had so many problems he seems like a very whinny emo chick.

He's a badass whiny emo chick: "Hey you dont know what its like to be a clone!Or evil! Im going to cut my self! Waaah!" (wuss)

Sepheroth was just my role model, and guidence in everything I do actually. ( mostly evil )
    Last edited by Simmer!...ugh; 08-24-2006 at 07:11 PM.
    old chinese proverb : The saying, 'May your life be interesting.' Is the worst curse possible.

Manipulated Dead
    Sephiroth was never really developed as a character, let alone his descent into insanity sufficiently depicted. He's probably one of the weakest developed characters in FF7. He's already cold and cruel when we first meet him; and its unbelievable how he decides to destroy the planet because he discovers he was grown in a tank. We don't really care when it happens because he already seemed like a bad guy.

All this is ironic of course because Sephiroth is considered one of the best villains in the Final Fantasy series.

Kefka:Mad With Style (TM)
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis
    Sephiroth was never really developed as a character, let alone his descent into insanity sufficiently depicted. He's probably one of the weakest developed characters in FF7. He's already cold and cruel when we first meet him; and its unbelievable how he decides to destroy the planet because he discovers he was grown in a tank. We don't really care when it happens because he already seemed like a bad guy.

All this is ironic of course because Sephiroth is considered one of the best villains in the Final Fantasy series.
    well play he game again and you will see in Clouds story why he wanted to destroy the world, yes he does seem cold and distant at the begining but not entirely cruel, his motivations to destroy the world made much more sense than Kefka who just loved destruction, destruction, destruction, and for a personal hobby massive destruction

I feel more sorry for Sephiroth than I would ever feel sorry for Kefka.

That pot smoking reject of a blonde goth circus clown (Kefka, cuss he looks like one) was way more detestable than Sephiroth.

Which FF Character Are You?

.:Neptune:.
    "You are a very passionate person, however, this passion often remains hidden below the surface. You have a great deal of compassion for others and are always willing to help those in need. You have a great generosity, sometimes so great that you neglect yourself while giving to others. You also have a stubborn side, though, which serves to protect you from being taken advantage of by those you help."

[damn quizilla's need to log in, can't get the picture too!]

One Cute Girl!!!!!!!

Manipulated Dead
    Nah, Sephiroth's motivation was pretty lame and typical - become a god. Villains who are obsessed with power are boring.

Kefka was more interesting because he enjoyed destruction for its own sake. Also, in the end he reveals he was trying to prove a philosophical point - that life has no meaning etc. He was the more fascinating villain.

If Kefka was more detestable he did something right ;) at least in the rpg universe where conflict of interest is still largely unexploited. Sephiroth didn't seem to me to be remotely close to being 3-D, so between two 2D villains I choose the one who has more style. You son of a submariner
    Last edited by Rigmarole; 08-22-2006 at 05:42 AM.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Kefka was only one of three villains that I know of that actually ruined his world. It was him, X-Death, and Ultimicia, and of the three, Kefka was actually the extreme closest to blowing up the world.

"You are a very passionate person, however, this passion often remains hidden below the surface. You have a great deal of compassion for others and are always willing to help those in need. You have a great generosity, sometimes so great that you neglect yourself while giving to others. You also have a stubborn side, though, which serves to protect you from being taken advantage of by those you help."

One Cute Girl!!!!!!!

Y'all need to post more :/ Shinryu's Avatar
    Well, Exdeath didn't do that bad either. I mean, how much of the world did he suck into nothingness? :P

By the time you actually fight him I think the only place left was Mirage, which got frozen in time the moment you walk through it in the Cleft of Dimension.

Sephiroth came damn close but got stopped, right?

Pro-tip: Multishot > One-shot kill

A few hundred thousand nuclear missiles would be a lot harder to stop than Meteor, I imagine.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton, 1950-2011
    "They said the NDP would never break through in Quebec. They said the NDP could never win in Alberta. Canadians want change. Change is what the NDP is." - Thomas Mulcair, NDP Leader

No, ex-death just kinda merged the two worlds into one, kinda a lame way to cause chaos. And Ultimicia was beat BEFORE the time merge thingiie

One Cute Girl!!!!!!!

Not so, from what I know you went through time compression to get to Ultimicia's time and defeat her, so it was after.

I know nothing of fear or regret...

Quote Originally Posted by vanguard Ziggy
    No, ex-death just kinda merged the two worlds into one, kinda a lame way to cause chaos.
    Umm, yes, he did. What did you think those giant black holes in the ground were?

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." - Jack Layton, 1950-2011
    "They said the NDP would never break through in Quebec. They said the NDP could never win in Alberta. Canadians want change. Change is what the NDP is." - Thomas Mulcair, NDP Leader

Quote Originally Posted by greiver
    Not so, from what I know you went through time compression to get to Ultimicia's time and defeat her, so it was after.

It was starting, but it didn't actually come until her defeat. She says as you face her finale form, "Time WILL compress" which meant it hadn't fully done it yet." It finished doing so during that flash of light, where they were all running around in the white area.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu
    Umm, yes, he did. What did you think those giant black holes in the ground were?
    No you misunderstood me, or I you. EX-Death didn't really destroy his world, not like Kefka did, though he did take out a sizable bits and pieces of it, as the heroes said, that this or that was gone now.

One Cute Girl!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vanguard Ziggy
    No you misunderstood me, or I you. EX-Death didn't really destroy his world, not like Kefka did, though he did take out a sizable bits and pieces of it, as the heroes said, that this or that was gone now.
    True enough. Kefka did more damage in the end because his actions affected the entire world and not just bits and pieces.

Although, sucking random towns into a void of nothingness has got to be pretty worrying :P

What about the whole destroying the Crystals thing, too? Remember, doing that killed each of the elements on both worlds. That counts as destroying it, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral
    I don't get why it is most people think they can't have decent conversations with me. Do I sound like Conan the barbarian on the boards "URgh ARgh, EERRAAGHH Moo"?
    Hello, All! Don't forget this thread is here!

GG Crono 4: "Aim for the crotch" is the best slogan ever.
    GG Crono 4: For anything.
    GG Crono 4: Ever.
    GG Crono 4: In fact, existing products would be SO much better if they used that slogan.
    GG Crono 4: "Wiffle Ball: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Lawn Darts: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Tampax: Aim For The Crotch!"

True, but then again doing so only caused the holes to appear, hurtting nature, but nothing compared to what Kefka did. Sephiroth could have done REAL damange had the planet not attacked to defend itself.

One Cute Girl!!!!!!!

Oh, granted, Kefka wins. But Ex-Death did a number on the planet, too. And Sephiroth was a pussy. Really. That's all there is to say about it. Maybe not physically, but in terms of will, he was one of the worst.
    I don't get why it is most people think they can't have decent conversations with me. Do I sound like Conan the barbarian on the boards "URgh ARgh, EERRAAGHH Moo"?

GG Crono 4: In fact, existing products would be SO much better if they used that slogan.

The Man called Wil Wilfredo Martinez's Avatar
    Well, Sephiroth was insane; would he have done the same stuff if he'd never snapped? Probably not. Tough he did have a bad attitude; I think he hates Cloud because he sensed that they were similar, but Cloud was stronger as a person (he could control Cloud only because of his mental problems.) Also, Cloud had something he never did: Friends.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/Sijo

I don't feel sorry for Sephiroth. Since it's made fairly clear his insanity isn't really a chemical tpye of thing or real mental disorder, but an utter inability to deal with even the smallest bit of damage to his psyche. It was just like trying to write a pitiable villain. It doesn't work like that. You try and write a good villain, and he'll be pitiable if he needs to be.

I think Kefka was much stronger as a villain, his love of Destruction for destruction mixed with his ridiculous extents to prove a point make him almost an exestential character, probably the closest videogames have to come to one. He's almost like the protagonist of Camus' The Stranger in that respect, motiveless murder to see if life has any meaning at all, or just to do something that means something.
    "I believe in my tusks.
    Long live freedom and damn the ideologies"
    -Robinson Jeffers, The Stars Go Over the Lonely Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie Esker
    What about the whole destroying the Crystals thing, too? Remember, doing that killed each of the elements on both worlds. That counts as destroying it, right?
    He only destroyed the crystals to release himself, and then to merge the two worlds together, so he could unlock the power of the Cleft of Dimension. Everything before was merely a prelude, is what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Martinez
    Well, Sephiroth was insane; would he have done the same stuff if he'd never snapped? Probably not. Tough he did have a bad attitude; I think he hates Cloud because he sensed that they were similar, but Cloud was stronger as a person (he could control Cloud only because of his mental problems.) Also, Cloud had something he never did: Friends.
    Cloud was friends with Sephiroth though. Right?
    old chinese proverb : The saying, 'May your life be interesting.' Is the worst curse possible.

No. ZACK might have been friends with Sephiroth (though I doubt it); Cloud just looked up to him. Sephiroth wouldn't bother with a low-level MP. Zack, though, I thinkw as CLoud's first real friend ever.

Whew, I didn't see any new replies for a while and was worried my Kefka as Existential Antagonist post had killed the thread.
    "I believe in my tusks.
    Long live freedom and damn the ideologies"
    -Robinson Jeffers, The Stars Go Over the Lonely Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Arac
    Whew, I didn't see any new replies for a while and was worried my Kefka as Existential Antagonist post had killed the thread.
    Kefkas is Existential? hes just nuts

Thread Information