Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more gay priests.

No more gay priests.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/30/in.../C8JGVDC6nrcSA

Dicuss.

And I think the astronaut analogy is dumb. It might be common sense, but it's still biased and discriminatory.

It's the Catholic Church.

What do you expect?
    Still, to adorn his humble youth,
    Nor wealth nor birth their treasures yield;
    But he who seeks the flowers of truth,
    Must quit the garden for the field.

Wild, hot nun on nun action? (only the young hot nuns plzkthx)

Anyway, now for constructive discussion. >_> Yeah, I think that's kind of stupid, but I'm actually suprised it wasn't done earlier.
    Last edited by YoungPaladin; 11-29-2005 at 06:54 PM.

I don't think it matters that its biased and discriminatory since we're dealing with a religious establishment. I think that's a given.

What's retarded is that this doesn't change a thing and doesn't mean anything since they're supposed to be celibate in the first place.
    It's no measure of health to be well adapted to a profoundly sick society
    Too much angst sucks, seriousness is overrated, melodrama is comedy.

"I fear that one day zeppy will end up hanging himself by his wang from the ceiling fan out of despair for his wasted life" - a concerned citizen

If your only tool's a hammer, all your problems look like nails.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. - Ted Roosevelt

Every time I visit the Staff Forums, it's a new lesson in dysfunction - VE

"Bacteria is a secular attempt to explain away evil"

"Human life is a sexually transmitted disease."

It's nice that they also finally came out and formally stated their stance on homosexuality.

The lunatic is on the grass... Ren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cala
    It's nice that they also finally came out and formally stated their stance on homosexuality.
    They'd done this before. Like, just as the catholic church was formed, they already made it clear that they wish all homossexuals would die and go to hell.

"Poteaux de M. Heavyfoot sur l'Internet" BlueMageOne's Avatar
    FINALY
    Change background to blue for best results.

They this clarified in light of the 2002 sex-abuse scandals, it's not likey no one knew they disliked homosexuality.

Geez.... what if a preist was gay and had vertigo...

but I guess they at least have an opinion now.

[18:33] < Nocturn > I can blow even lower!

Despite the NYT's angle, the document is actually *relaxing* the Church's stance on homosexuals. Before this, they refused to accept anyone who'd ever been gay or shown any kind of indication that he had gay thoughts. Now they're saying that if someone has gay tendencies but doesn't act on them, he *can* be admitted.

Freedom is the only way yeah! GOD BLESS AMERICA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    They'd done this before. Like, just as the catholic church was formed, they already made it clear that they wish all homossexuals would die and go to hell.
    Stop posting in Catholocism threads.

And yeah, Cid beat me to it. Comedy option: no military, no marriage, and now...I don't have to go to church. Boy I wish I were gay.
    #CasualFridayLumbersexual

Zep, read the Genesis, then the things Paul wrote.

Freedom is the only way yeah! GOD BLESS AMERICA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    Zep, read the Genesis, then the things Paul wrote.
    I was referring to you relating the church not wanting actively gay priests and wanting all gays to die. As Cid said already, this is a step in a good direction, even if it's only a tiny little step. Coupled with other announcements by the Church this year, such as the warning not to take the bible so literally as to ignore the benefits science has to offer, the Church is at least making a small attempt to get with the times. It's not like they have to change, they are the largest religious institution in the world. But they are slowly changing, and most members of the faith are far more progressive-minded than official Church policy makers. The only really dogmatic person here is you, who everytime someone posts a thread about the Church, you have to put in your "well the bible says that so it's nothing new fuck the church", but it is something new, whether you can see it or not.
    #CasualFridayLumbersexual

I'M A CONCEPT, WHAT ARE YOU? Nulani's Avatar
    It's sad that they don't say 'Let all come to us for we are joined in our belief in the saviour and not in the hatred of those different', but at least they're fumbling in the right direction.

That document of the Vatican was leaked some weeks ago anyway.
    And considering the church's stand towards gays, I wouldn't expect they embrace them as priests.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin
    I was referring to you relating the church not wanting actively gay priests and wanting all gays to die. As Cid said already, this is a step in a good direction, even if it's only a tiny little step. Coupled with other announcements by the Church this year, such as the warning not to take the bible so literally as to ignore the benefits science has to offer, the Church is at least making a small attempt to get with the times. It's not like they have to change, they are the largest religious institution in the world. But they are slowly changing, and most members of the faith are far more progressive-minded than official Church policy makers. The only really dogmatic person here is you, who everytime someone posts a thread about the Church, you have to put in your "well the bible says that so it's nothing new fuck the church", but it is something new, whether you can see it or not.

Ren is correct. The church was founded with the belief that homosexuals were some of the worst kind of sinners. The idea that the catholic church hadn't previously "come out on their official stance on homosexuality" is laughable. They're the institution that has done more than any other, thoughout history, to define homosexuality as an abomination. Don't try to rewrite history.

Quote Originally Posted by Silhouette2
    Ren is correct. The church was founded with the belief that homosexuals were some of the worst kind of sinners. The idea that the catholic church hadn't previously "come out on their official stance on homosexuality" is laughable. They're the institution that has done more than any other, thoughout history, to define homosexuality as an abomination. Don't try to rewrite history.
    So because they did something in the past means that they can never change their stance, even in the slightest way? People die, and new leaders are born with different ideas. This is why we have things like protestant faiths and Vatican II. Yeah the church takes a long time to change, but to say it doesn't or even can't isn't true. Most Churches got rid of that "fire and brimstone" thing a while ago, or at least all the ones I have gone to have.

The problem is that they've done this just to look like a more friendly institution to the eyes of the people out there. Yet they haven't changed the manual of their religion - the parts of the bible that speak against homosexuals are still there. Paul the apostle says that homosexuals cannot enter heaven. I don't remember if it was also Paul or someone else, but there's also another part that says homosexuals always go to hell when they die.

The Greatest Defender of Freedom and Liberty on These Boards The 984's Avatar
    If you're gonna make such claims, quote the verse.
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

You can read them all here if you wish. These guys are not catholics, but the book is the same.

Interpretations on the bible can change.

This whole thing sounds like a conspiracy to me Ren, what would be the point of just changing something to look like a more friendly institution to the eyes of the people out there anyway? To get the sinners right where they want them and then change back to the old ways? Society changes, religion HAS to change with it in order to be relevant.

You can learn from the bible with study and thought, but you can persecute anyone with the bible if you look hard enough like the godhatesfags.com website you posted.

They would do this so that people who dislike the Church due to the Church's hatred towards gays would dislike the Church less. Even to the point where some would go neutral and some others would even join the Church. It also reduces verbal attacks against the Church. See, years ago people would say "those #$2 @#*& !@#$%& want all homossexuals to die and go to hell", now even here people are saying "good, they are improving and not hate-filled people anymore".

Yeah, but they would lose members who actualy hated gays. Isn't it more likely that there was a bit of a power shift, and they agreed to change their mind on something?

The real hardcore gay haters are, fortunately, a minority within the church, so the gains would be greater than the losses. And yes, this seems like the reuslt of a powershift, since said minority became majority if you considered only the people in charge of the institution.

The new face-eating monster of RPGC Kraken's Avatar
    Ren: We can't be sure they're not just being progressive? It's not impossible.

I'd expect the Church to be unwilling to edit their religious texts, which are supposed to be transcendent and unchanging. Who are they to contradict an apostle?

Also, I think it's possible to weasel your way around Paul if you wish. If you successfully suppress your homosexual tendencies your whole life, are you really a homosexual? After all, if you consider suicide but don't carry it out, you can still enter heaven, can't you?
    postcount++;

First Law of Software: Software expands to fill storage.
    First Law of Economics: Costs expand to fill income.
    First Law of Newton: Reactions expand to fill action.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to others. The rest is commentary."
    --Rabbi Hillel, summarizing the teachings of Judaism to a heathen (paraphrased). He then went on to inspire a totally awesome matza and horseradish sandwich.

[11:04:38] <@]> with my ops @ sign, my nick looks like a cyclops
    [11:04:43] <`> heh
    [11:04:46] <@]> hay guys sup in heer?
    [11:04:49] <`> type "==="
    [11:04:54] <@]> ===
    [11:04:55] <`> eyebeams
    [11:04:58] <@]> XD

Ren: Where did you hear about this? If they wanted more people to join or feel better about the church, we would be seeing a lot more changes, a lot faster. I think you're missing the point of the religion in the scheme of all these politics and theorys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken
    Also, I think it's possible to weasel your way around Paul if you wish. If you successfully suppress your homosexual tendencies your whole life, are you really a homosexual? After all, if you consider suicide but don't carry it out, you can still enter heaven, can't you?
    The thing is though, can homosexuality even be considered a sin anymore? Back thousands of years ago, they would have a reason for considering it a sin, sex was more for reproduction, and less for fun. Now we can have sex with the oposite sex without reproduction, so how is that different then two people of the same sex engaging? Well, the church does frown upon birth control as well, however we only hear about the crackpots yelling how homosexualy are evil and will go to hell if they don't repent.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMageOne
    Ren: Where did you hear about this? If they wanted more people to join or feel better about the church, we would be seeing a lot more changes, a lot faster. I think you're missing the point of the religion in the scheme of all these politics and theorys.
    It's just an idea. I'm not saying that this is so, I'm saying it seems to me like it is so.

The thing is though, can homosexuality even be considered a sin anymore? Back thousands of years ago, they would have a reason for considering it a sin, sex was more for reproduction, and less for fun.
    Huh? So all those Bible prohibitions about not sleeping with a man or a married woman was just because it would interfere reproductively? Come on. The Bible has no problems with, for example, two unmarried people having sex. The problem with sexual sins is and was a moral issue, not one dealing with the continuation of the species. It's no different now than it ever was except that society is more permissive as far as homosexuals go, so society now frowns upon anti-gay sentiments.

They still frowned upon casual sex and such. They believe that all sex should, at the very least, be open to the possibility of a child.

Thread Information