Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What has everyone been watching this year?

The sword that cleaves huzzah! Pierson's Avatar

What has everyone been watching this year?

Well it's still two months of from 2006 but I'm bored and I'm guessing you are for reading this thread so hey! Talk about the stuff you've watched this year and maybe other people will be curious enough to watch them as well so you can have something to talk about. They don't have to be currently-running, just whatever you watched.

Finished

GaoGaiGar
    My rabid mutterings about this series are well-documented in another thread. Giant Super Robots battle it out the fate of ZAH WORLD with more stock footage than a Gundam series but God what awesome stock footage it is.

Haibane Renmei
    Nothing to say here. If you don't know what HR I'm not going to spoil it for you.

Gundam SEED Destiny
    What a piece of shit.

Now and Then, Here and There
    A story about a nice optimistic boy who gets thrown forward through time into a depressing bleak apocalyptic landscape he has no business being in. It's insanely depressing but still a good series. Don't watch it if you're feeling down.

Air
    Fuck you I'm not watching this series any more ;__;

Mai-HiME
    This had an awesome last half but a shitty shitty shitty final episode. Girls with AMAZING POWERS defend the world against evil monsters. Or at least they do at first. And Nagi is awesome.

Ongoing

GaoGaiGar FINAL
    AIA SUB THE REST OF THESE NOW YOU FAGGOTS.

Eureka 7
    This is Eva if Anno had bothered to plan the goddamn plot ahead instead of waiting for each eipsode to finish before writing the next one. WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT.

Shakugan no Shana
    Imagine Cardcaptor Sakura. Got it? Now imagine if Sakura was a merciless queen-bitch from hell with a huge katana and the supporting cast were all dead. There you go.

Mai-ZHiME
    Alternate-universe Mai-HiME. All the old characters translated into a new world. It's pretty fun and could be pretty cool since Spoiler: Midori and Mai are possibly evil. The main character is an annoying hick though.

Zeta Gundam
    Literally just started watching this, only three eps down. It's already cooler than Destiny could ever be mostly because QUATTRO.

Petopeto-san and Kamichu
    Petopeto-san is like Azumanga Daioh with monsters as the classmates and Kamichu is like Miyazaki in series form. Both are awesome slice-of-life school-based shows. Watch them.

Blood+
    Sequel/prequel of Blood The Last Vampire. Shows promise.

Eyeshield 21
    Ridiculous American Football-based series with BURNING PASSION RARRR.
    Last edited by Pierson; 10-26-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Not much.

I finally managed to make myself finish Samurai Champloo a couple months ago.

Bleach is ongoing and will continue to be watched.

ROD TV is being quite awesome.

I tried to watch Peacemaker but it sucks too badly.

And I'm gonna start on Blood+ sometime this week, maybe even today if I have time.

Monster - Love it

Last Exile - meh

Naruto - meh

GTO - meh

One Piece - decent

Mysterious Anti-Hero Nightblade's Avatar
    Finished:

GaoGaiGar- Awesomeness, will re-watch sometime later >_>

Gundam Seed Destiny - Ugh

Turn A Gundam - Beautiful

G Gundam - It was a fun show, but Nobel Gundam really bothered me :(

Mobile Suit Gundam - The movies were awesome :D

Godannar - Fanservice and awesome mecha. Loved it.

Macross Plus - Awesome

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - Was good. Liked the darker atmosphere, but still funny at parts. Gates owned

Still Ongoing:

GaoGaiGar Final - Heh, ep4 was released yesterday. It was a good ep, but I am still waiting for a kickass ep like Ep 2 >_>

Blood + - shows promise

Shakugan No Shana - What Pierson said

Mai Zhime - The decision to make Mikoto a fat cat was an AWESOME decision.

Zeta Gundam - at ep 30, I am loving this series so much.

Noein - the first ep was interesting, but waiting for it to be subbed :(

Eureka 7 - Goddamnit Nanashi, sub this instead of your damn lolicon animes >:(

Tekkaman Blade - watched the first 4 eps, and it was interesting. I like the way they misspell emergency. EMAGENCY

There is some more, but I can't remember :(

Haruhi <3

I suggest you just watch one show at a time
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral
    Every time I looked at Ashe though, I felt like stating how small her boobs were.

I suggest that KaiserBasara stop failing at posting. Not that there is a chance of that happening, but it's still a suggestion.

Well you see apparently unlike you some people are able to hold the details of many different series in their minds at once, so no.

Yeah but watching too many gets you disorganized about what episode you're on and you end up with a bunch of unfinished series because they got liscensed
    Every time I looked at Ashe though, I felt like stating how small her boobs were.

His and Her Circumstances: Gold

X: corny at times, but has pretty good parts, particularly towards the end

Gundam Seed: Excellent

Gundam Seed Destiny: What the fuck happened?
    It's no measure of health to be well adapted to a profoundly sick society
    Too much angst sucks, seriousness is overrated, melodrama is comedy.

"I fear that one day zeppy will end up hanging himself by his wang from the ceiling fan out of despair for his wasted life" - a concerned citizen

If your only tool's a hammer, all your problems look like nails.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. - Ted Roosevelt

Every time I visit the Staff Forums, it's a new lesson in dysfunction - VE

"Bacteria is a secular attempt to explain away evil"

"Human life is a sexually transmitted disease."

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserBasara
    Yeah but watching too many gets you disorganized about what episode you're on and you end up with a bunch of unfinished series because they got liscensed
    I'm genuinely curious as to why you think being confused about a show's progression and shows becoming licensed has any kind of connection.

Also shit yeah how did I forget Noein? NB ep 1 already been subbed. It looks pretty damn cool.

Also Gunbuster 2 ep 4 is released soon FUCK YEAH.

Oh shit! I heard Gunbuster Ep4 was awesome.
    Spoiler: I predicted that Nono was the Diebuster itself, and I heard that I am right. Dunno though, I didn't touch the raw

Ah, Noein was subbed....by AssSub? Heh, I'll take whatever I get.

Haruhi <3

When it's liscensed, that means you have to stop watching it, unless you wanna use DC++. Some people don't use DC++

DC++ is my favorite p2p

Finished:

Full Metal Alchemist

Orphen

Samurai Champloo
    Twitter: jeremyjackson89

Vandread.
    I liked it. A lot. It's a nice refreshing take on the boy-on-ship-full-of-horny-whores genre with a protagonist that actually stops making an ass of himself after two or three chapters, only one annoying bratty-type chick, a mandatory Rei Ayanami clone that actually speaks from time to time, ONLY ONE girl-slaps-boy-for-peeking-underwear scene and an overall cast where no one is purely moronic. Nice ending and hoping to see Second Stage soon.

Hellsing
    Loved it. Even though they never got to the interesting part (read: Vol8). The lack of KICKASS VAMPIRE VICTORIA does show a bit too much, sadly.

Tsukihime
    Pretty good. I like the characters a lot, even though I recognized them as the typical stereotypes present in almost every H-game and the history was interesting enough. I only have two comments: First, some more bloodshed would have been nice, and second, I just couldn't stop thinking about something like this every time I saw Ciel.

Wolf's Rain
    It didn't really get my interest, but I watched it anyway. The ending was... I don't know what the ending was.

Get Backers
    Ahhh, homoerotic super-powered freaks, always a nice premise. It's fun to watch and Ban is pretty cool.

Initial D
    I expected more car action than this, the art is horrible and the races are too boring because THE DAMN KID ALWAYS WINS.

Hungry Heart: Wild Striker
    Yoichi Takahashi might have tried to face his old masterpiece, Captain Tsubasa, from a different angle, but all he got was an offspring from it's mating with Slam Dunk. It's okay.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet
    SOMEONE GETS TO DIE FOR THIS. You fuckers BLEW IT. They raped the story, the cannon, the consistency, the characters (Shugo is not an incestual freak in the manga and becomes cool towards the last few chapters, you assholes!). And Kajiura didn't compose for it, which is even worse.

Martian Successor Nadesico
    I'm liking it a lot. More when I finish seeing it.

Stratos 4
    God, just no. It's boring, uninteresting and the fanservice is so wrongly placed it ruins any possible climax a scene may have.

Fullmetal Alchemist
    It still hasn't caught up with the manga, so nothing big so far (And by that, I mean that nothing new has happened, I still love the story). I do like the manga bit better, the anime version makes the brothers a bit more "noble", like in the first chapter where Spoiler: Al consoles Rose, even though in the manga they left without anything else but Ed's subtle way of saying "fuck off, it's not my problem".

Prince of Tennis
    Ugh. Between the annoying silent supposed-to-be-cool characters, the humanly-impossible moves, the exceedingly hyped matches and the way a character can run for fifteen minutes from one side of the court to another (Captain Tsubasa flashback, only much worse), I can't decide what I liked less.

Hunter X Hunter
    It's interesting, but they bought an old dub and I can honestly say I've NEVER heard a worse VA than Gon's. The plot, violence, etc is intact and the other characters have excellent VA's, but Gon is just AWFUL. I still watch it though.

-------
    How's the Mai-HiME anime in comparison to the manga?
    Last edited by Seraphim Ephyon; 10-26-2005 at 09:16 PM.
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

Finished-

Pita-Ten: I found a good download website, and seeing this (I already own two mangas), I decided to try it. I absolutely love it, but I know for a fact that it didn't go into the whole backstory. Oh, well.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Awsomeness. Now if I could only see the movie.

FLCL: I <3

Cowboy Bebop: I liked it a lot. To bad my cable screwed up so I couldn't see the end of the movie.

Paranoia Agent: Lil' Slugger! Ha ha, yeah, it was good.

Unfinished-

Bottle Fairy: It's not the best, but it's cute, and I like it so far.

Azumanga Diaoh: I'm almost done, and I love it like crazy.

Naruto: I really like it so far.

Bleach: I've only seen 4 episodes as of yet, it's kinda like a mixture between FMA and Naruto, which is cool.

Princess Tutu: It's so cute and funny and awsome and strange. XP

Tokyo Mew Mew: I love this anime so so much. Stupid computer with your slow downloadingness.
    The star maker says it ain't so bad
    The dream maker's gonna make you mad
    The spaceman says everybody look down
    It's all in your mind

Spaceman - The Killers

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Ephyon

Alot better. The manga was pretty bad, IMO.

Haruhi <3

Gon's voice kicks ass
    Last edited by KaiserBasara; 10-26-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Finished:

None. ;_;

Ongoing:

None! ;_;

Sadness I r.

Quote Originally Posted by Hades Shinigami
    The fact that your penis has only ever known the sweet embrace of someone's putrid, infected colon makes me feel a little less bad about not getting action from every girl I meet :) So how are your offspring? Oops, sorry. It just about slipped my mind that natural selection wants your lineage to die off. Pity.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Ephyon
    Vandread.
    In a word; shitty.

I really like Gundam Seed and Cowboy bebop. What're a couple animes I could check out? Preferably with good dubs.
    It's no measure of health to be well adapted to a profoundly sick society
    Too much angst sucks, seriousness is overrated, melodrama is comedy.

"I fear that one day zeppy will end up hanging himself by his wang from the ceiling fan out of despair for his wasted life" - a concerned citizen

If your only tool's a hammer, all your problems look like nails.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. - Ted Roosevelt

Every time I visit the Staff Forums, it's a new lesson in dysfunction - VE

"Bacteria is a secular attempt to explain away evil"

"Human life is a sexually transmitted disease."

Bleach and Tsubasa are the shows everyone's been watching

Pierson: Quattro! We should start a Quattro love circle when you finish Zeta.

Sin: If you liked Gundam Seed, Gundam Wing and Mobile Suit Gundam (original) have very similar (read: Almost cut-and-pasted) storylines, and masked, blond, badass villain characters, and Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team is, if you ask me, the storytelling peak of all the gundam series. If you like Cowboy Bebop, stuff like Wolf's Rain and Samurai Champloo (All made with much of the same team) should be up your alley, too. They all have pretty good dubs. Grave of the Fireflies, although not that much like either of the movies you mentioned, I also have to reccomend, it's a very strong anti-war movie.

Re-Watched:
    08th MS Team (Try to watch this every year. It's not that long, and my favourite of all the Gundams, probably.)
    Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam (I'd forgotten all about 'till a fateful trip to China town, and now I'm addicted again)
    Cowboy Bebop (Classic.)
    Fooly Cooly (Classic.)
    Macross: Love, Do you Remember? (I need to remember: movies of series are usually bad)
    Serial Experiments Lain (just for the Illuminati references)
    Akira (Because I am an Otomo Katsuhiro fanboy. The movie isn't very good. Still.)

Watched:
    Wolf's Rain (Mehsville)
    Berserk (BiG SwOrDs ArE cOoL d00d! lolz!)
    Gundam Seed Destiny (Somebody should've warned me. God damn.)
    GaoGaoGaiGar (Pierson is a damned good man for reccomending this)
    Princess Tutu (almost amusing enough to restore my taste in my now ex-girlfriend's anime taste, but. . .)
    Fruits Basket (. . . ruined that.)
    Samurai Showdown (Further proof that SNK should just kill anyone interested in making an anime of any of their games. Period.)
    Perfect Blue (creepy in a good way)
    Gen Roh: The Wolf Brigade (Not bad, but not spectacular either.)
    Steam Boy (Awesome animation. Widely reccomended.)
    GaoGaoGaiGar FINAL (What's that, Pie? You don't speak Japanese? Aww!)

Started Watching:
    Mezzo Forte (Ooops! Hentai!)

Quote Originally Posted by KaiserBasara
    Gon's voice kicks ass
    Let's play a game: Guess why your opinions on this matter are entirely irrelevant.

I'll give you three clues: Argentina, Spanish Language, and Dubbing.

See if you can sort it out.
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

I really like Gundam Seed and Cowboy bebop. What're a couple animes I could check out? Preferably with good dubs.
    If you liked SEED watch Mobile Suit Gundam (the movies), 08th MS Team, Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack, in that order. These are all based in the Universal Century and are the true Gundam timeline.

I can't recommend anything similar to Bebop because Bebop is pretty unique. You could try Outlaw Star and Samurai Champloo I guess.

What about Double Zeta Gundam? Doesn't it happen before Char's Counterattack?

I've got all of the UC series on my HD, except for Gundam 0083 and 0080, but haven't watched them all.

How's 08th MS Team, and Victory Gundam?

Haruhi <3

Annoying Reveler
    Finished:
    Mai-Hime - Pretty nice series and seemed to apply aspects of many genres together well. I didn't think that the ending was as bad as some people made it out to be. Nothing compared to the last few episodes but it didn't leave me with a "this totally sucks" feeling like another series.

Gundam SEED Destiny - My views are pretty much the same as the ones that have been posted before. Very nice start and seemed to have a lot of potential but it didn't follow through somewhere at the halfway point.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Fun and cute series even though I had most of it spoiled to me beforehand. A lot of likeable characters and decent storyline. I'll probably pick up the manga sometime.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - I was looking for another magical girl series after CCS and saw this title recommended a few times. The first few episodes are very CCSish but it changes gears and has shounen style fights. Nothing overly drawn out but just a lot of power blasts and shouting of attack names. The story wasn't as good as I hoped but still decent and action scenes were very well done.

Currently Watching:
    Mai Otome/Mai Zhime - As said before, Mai-Hime cast in a totally different setting some mix of fantasy and near-future tech. First few episodes seem pretty intriguing even though the main character is extremely annoying but Shizuru and Nagi make up for her.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - Direct sequel to the first series. No magical girl stuff to go through in the beginning and goes straight to the action. More power blasts and collateral damage and what looks to be a better story than last season. I hope this series continues this level of quality.
    TD isn't ugly. In fact, if I wasn't a dirty dirt farmer I'd do him. - Kor

Quote Originally Posted by Nightblade
    What about Double Zeta Gundam? Doesn't it happen before Char's Counterattack?

I've got all of the UC series on my HD, except for Gundam 0083 and 0080, but haven't watched them all.

How's 08th MS Team, and Victory Gundam?
    Yeah but I tend to ignore it since it's kind of silly.

Victory is shit. 08th MS Team is a goddamn triumph.

I'm currently watching whatever's on Toonami and Adult Swim.

Toonami - I've enjoyed Naruto so far (believe it!), One Piece is okay, Zatch Bell is oddly compelling.
    Adult Swim - struggling to finish Inu Yasha (hell, I've seen this many episodes already), FMA totally rocks with Samurai Champloo, s-CRY-ed is okay...

Finished - Paranoia Agent (great, but I probably won't watch it again), Samurai Deeper Kyo (GOD let this be over, please), Fushigi Yugi (typical teenage girl dreamy, but hey, it brings me back to my more imaginative days), Gundam Seed (the first Gundam series I've actually finished, and a good one at that, but too much flashback and recap), Fruits Basket (and I LOVED it, so hush people lol)... I know I'm forgetting something.

Repeat performances - Kare Kano (damn that ending, I needed the Asaba Dinner Show), Hellsing (awesome but short), Evangelion (this time I went Platinum and I can't go back), whatever repeated on AS (like FLCL, Wolf's Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, some Detective Conan and Lupin)... probably forgetting more stuff here too.

I'd like to see more Gundam series (and finally finish Wing, I kept missing episodes when it aired). I'm currently watching Saiyuki on DVD, and I just LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierson
    I can't recommend anything similar to Bebop because Bebop is pretty unique. You could try Outlaw Star and Samurai Champloo I guess.
    Only watch the first 5 and last 5 episodes of Samurai Champloo. The rest will make you wish you had never heard of the series.

Victory is one of the best gundam series. Talk about non stop action

Thread Information