Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A New, Good Old Fashioned RPG

A New, Good Old Fashioned RPG

I want a new game, but I want a good old fashioned rpg. Nothing new and fancy with crazy item creation systems or anything like that, just a regular rpg - thats new and I haven't played.

Suggestions. No Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy or any other Square/Enix/Square-Enix game, as I've pretty much played them all already.
    Still, to adorn his humble youth,
    Nor wealth nor birth their treasures yield;
    But he who seeks the flowers of truth,
    Must quit the garden for the field.

Ys VI : Ark of Napishtim

Shadow Hearts and Shadow Hearts : Covenant if you haven't tried them yet.

What IS Shadow Hearts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    What IS Shadow Hearts?
    An RPG made by Ex-Square employees, which has horror as the theme/setting. Think Silent Hill meets Final Fantasy. It's the sequel to the PS1 flop Koudelka, if that tells you anything, except Shadow Hearts ain't no flop. Nightblade could fill you in alot more.

Mysterious Anti-Hero Nightblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightblade in the Shadow Hearts: Covenant Thread
    It's my favourite RPG now. The story is so good, the characters, especially Yuri, are awesome. The soundtrack kicks ass, and the battles are so much fun thanks to the judgement ring.

I do advise though, that you play the first one before Covenant. The graphics are pretty bad, and gameplay isn't as solid as Covenant, but the story, and characters, once again are awesome.

Both games center on Yuri Hyuga, a half-japanese, half-russian child. He grew up without parents, and lived a lonely life. Yuri is unusual. He is able to fuse with the souls of monsters he defeated. He's afraid of the ability, he thinks the monster will consume him. One day, a mysterious voice told him to look for the Key of Light. A woman named Alice. And a warlock named Roger Bacon (yes, bacon) is after her. His goal is to destroy the world.

While it doesn't sound deep, it is. The 2 main characters go through tremendous development in both games. Yuri and Alice in SH1, Yuri and Karin in SH2.

Oh, and the game is set in an alternate world of ours, 1915, just the beginning of World War 1.

The first is pretty short, I beat it after the day I got it. Then again, I played for 20 hours straight.

So, long story short, get the Shadow Hearts series!

Haruhi <3

Pokey
    Try the two Golden Sun games. But don't make the mistake of not playing them due to the first game's long intro. It was the biggest mistake I ever made.

If you can endure the slow moving story, I'm sure you'll enjoy the gameplay. The battles are turn-based and they play out like good old fashioned RPGs should. There's some customization, but not in terms of equipment, rather, in terms of the little elemental creatures you find throughout the game whom bestow spells upon you when they're set to your characters.

The dungeon design is perhaps the strongest part. Dungeons in Golden Sun 1 and 2 are complex, but never overwhelmingly so. They're also filled with puzzles that are solved through various psychic power skills that your team possesses.

And the user interface is one of the friendliest I've seen in years. Save points are obsolete, and Golden Sun knows this. That's why you can save your game anywhere at any time.

If you haven't played these two, I highly recommend them, and I'd even go so far as to say that they're the best RPGs that a portable system has to offer. If you can't get them both (they connect together, so when you beat the first one, you can transfer your stuff to the second one, and when you reach a certain point in the second one, your team from the first game joins your team from the second game), opt for the second one; it's better.

A fascination with masked men. Evangelion's Avatar
    Do you mean a new game that has just come out or a game that's new to you?

I agree with Dalton's suggestion of Golden Sun. Both are REALLY good games, though the first is better than the second, though i'm not saying the second is a <i>bad</i> game, just worse by comparision.

Lots of "puzzles" though they are very simple (most of the time).

I'd also agree with Ys VI.

<&Vorpy> hey have you seen this video: http://notareallink.whatever

For the Light, Bitch. Izlude1984's Avatar
    I was also going to suggest Golden Sun. Good stuff if you havent tried it yet.
    Lightforge, lol

Oh dear, you've failed to kill me. Want to try again? cait sith's Avatar

Talking

Theres always Earthbound if you can find it that is.
    cait sith says
    love, peace,and chicken grease
    hee hee
    <('.'<) <( '.' )> (>'.')>
    dancing kirby

The scepter keeps the goth kids away.

Once a Great Tit, Always a Great Tit Skankin' Garbage's Avatar
    I can't honestly reccomend the first Golden Sun. I can't say much for the second, but the first one is so...mediocre. Sure, it's an old-fashioned RPG, but there's really no charm to it in my eyes. I couldn't play it longer than 2 hours.

I would reccomend Shadow Hearts for a newer RPG in 'old-fashioned' style. It really is a solid game, and you can find it real cheap. Interesting ambience, fun characters (Yuri is one of the fucking funniest protagonists ever, you'll like him), and pretty solid fighting, even if there's nothing incredibly interesting about it; but that's kind of what defines old school RPGs to me.

I would also reccomend Lunar 1 and Lunar 2, but you might not like those games if you're not into that cheesy storyline crap. I thought it was done really, really well, so I enjoyed it where I might not have enjoyed other games like it. If that doesn't turn you off to the idea, then maybe try them as a last resort, since they can be kind of expensive.

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Spoiler: Magic (still) ROCKS!

http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/26/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Skankin' Garbage
    I can't honestly reccomend the first Golden Sun. I can't say much for the second, but the first one is so...mediocre. Sure, it's an old-fashioned RPG, but there's really no charm to it in my eyes. I couldn't play it longer than 2 hours.
    what.

<&Vorpy> hey have you seen this video: http://notareallink.whatever

Fighting Crime with the power of death. dude789's Avatar
    If you haven't played BoF 1-3 than those are probably the best. 1+2 are out for GBA and 3's coming to PSP.

... and I really think that the minty after taste is quite pleasant

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie Esker
    It's all based on a simple law of society: She has boobies, you don't. It's supply and demand, Glenton. Supply and Demand.

i'll see you all soon enough Rinn's Avatar
    Shadow Hearts has some of the weirdest monsters ever.
    COPYRIGHTę2007 SINFEST PRODUCTIONS - All rights reserved, baby.

I want new games that are old fashioned rpgs. I'll give Shadow Hearts a look see. Golden Sun was horrible, I don't see what the hooplah was about and so was BoF. Stuff for the PS2 preferably.

The Greatest Defender of Freedom and Liberty on These Boards The 984's Avatar
    Now, by old fashioned, do you mean story? Battle system? What?
    OBEY
    The 984 Has Spoken

Battle system. SO3's just pissed me off enough to want something regular and unoriginal.

I'd agree with Ys VI, but it's got more of a Zelda feel to it than an RPG feel. Other than that, the Suikoden series would be the first thing that comes to mind.

"Sharks swim in water, there's water in the toilet. I rest my case." - Randal explaining his fear of using the bathroom alone on Clerks: The Animated Series
    "I bet your lymph nodes are as big as cats!" - Captain Murphy addressing the "sick kid" on SeaLab 2021
    "ROCK LOBSTER!" - Peter singing a song to calm down Cleveland on Family Guy
    "I go to the Subbery Sandwich restaurant and I leave my Subbery Sandwich restaurant value card at home EVERY TIME! I want... a free sandwich!" - Principal Scudworth explaining how disorganized he is on Clone High

Ronald McDonald, with the help of cheese soup, controls America from a secret Volkswagon - hidden in the past.

In news today: Mason-Dixon Line renamed to IHOP-Waffle House Line.

I haven't played them, but I hear lots of good things about Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne or whatever, and about Digital Devil Saga.

How about you give Wild Arms 2 or 3 a try? Although I'd opt for 3 more than 2. I like 2 more, but that's because of some..weird reason I guess. Probably has to do with the limited number of characters in 3.
    Eliza leaned out of the carriage and put out her hand,-a hand as soft and beautiful as was given in return. She fixed her large, dark eyes, full of earnest meaning, on Mrs. Bird's face, and seemed going to speak. Her lips moved,-she tried once or twice, but there was no sound,-and pointing upward, with a look never to be forgotten, she fell back in the seat, and covered her face. The door was shut, and the carriage drove on.-Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by Epico Gameu
    Shadow Hearts has some of the weirdest monsters ever.
    Yeah, and the monster descriptions in the origional were the greatest.
    Name: Hellcat
    Element: Light
    Description: Vengeance of kittens killed by humans. Its body is full of
    maggots. It fakes the cries of babies and devours the mothers that come to
    check on them.
    =D

"Poteaux de M. Heavyfoot sur l'Internet" BlueMageOne's Avatar
    I agree with SG, Lunar 1 and 2 are probably something you'd be looking for if you need a good old fashioned RPG
    Change background to blue for best results.

Once a Great Tit, Always a Great Tit Skankin' Garbage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Devillion
    what.
    I said it fucking SUCKED, so go cry about it and then lift weights, you ripped piece of crap. :P

And yeah, Lunar is the epitome of old school in 'newer' consoles, especially cos they're remakes of games released in 92 and 94. I say it's definitely worth a go if you don't mind cheesey story and cliche.

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Spoiler: Magic (still) ROCKS!

http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/26/08)

My PS2 recomendations:

Classic RPG:
    -Lunar 1 and 2- as people said before, they are pretty good and basic, but rather cheesy storylines and annoying voices. Simple controls, and easy battle strategies.

-Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter- A plain, beat em up RPG. I personal hate this one, due to the non-refilable dragon abilities for Ryu, but an interesting story. Do not expect to spend alot of time leveling up, due to the dragon meter that is always going higher.

Strategy RPG:
    -Gladius- simple rules and controls. Fantasy/Roman setting. Pretty good. Enough said.

heeeeeeere kitty kitty

Sorceror, to give the opinions from a PC perspective, you could try Temple of Elemental Evil, from Trokia.

I haven't gotten very far, but its supposed to be a 3rd Edition PC take of the table top mod of the same name... and its turn based. Probably the old-school you are looking for.
    "Yeah, you can get a nickel for boosting starfall, but jacking heal's a ten day stint in county. Now lifting fairy fire, they just let you go for that, its not even worth the paperwork. But reincarnate, that'll get you life." -Spell Breakers, WC3: Frozen Throne

What can change the nature of a man?
    -Ravel, Planescape: Torment

I wouldn't consider Lunar to be a newer game. Even if it was on PS1, it was still a remake of a game that's older than just over half of the Final Fantasy series.

"Sharks swim in water, there's water in the toilet. I rest my case." - Randal explaining his fear of using the bathroom alone on Clerks: The Animated Series
    "I bet your lymph nodes are as big as cats!" - Captain Murphy addressing the "sick kid" on SeaLab 2021
    "I go to the Subbery Sandwich restaurant and I leave my Subbery Sandwich restaurant value card at home EVERY TIME! I want... a free sandwich!" - Principal Scudworth explaining how disorganized he is on Clone High

Ronald McDonald, with the help of cheese soup, controls America from a secret Volkswagon - hidden in the past.

Plus I've already played them, so it matters not.

And I hated Wild Arms 2, so if Wild Arms 3 is anything like it...

Then do yourself a favor and don't touch 3 then. The games are far from perfect..but, eh, I like them for some reason.
    Eliza leaned out of the carriage and put out her hand,-a hand as soft and beautiful as was given in return. She fixed her large, dark eyes, full of earnest meaning, on Mrs. Bird's face, and seemed going to speak. Her lips moved,-she tried once or twice, but there was no sound,-and pointing upward, with a look never to be forgotten, she fell back in the seat, and covered her face. The door was shut, and the carriage drove on.-Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin

Well, I'm gonna jump on the Shadow Hearts bandwagon. Both are good games in the classic rpg sense.

I want the damn Shin Megami Tensei games, but I can never find them.

As far as SRPGS go, try Growlanser Generations. I'm really digging Growlanser II right now. That and Shadow Hearts 2 are the only RPGs I'm playing at the moment. Hell, I haven't touched my 'cube but once since I got a PS2.

Sorc, I feel you on SO3. I like it, but it pisses me off sometimes. I think that the battle controls are a bit clumsy. but I've put that down because my manager is borrowing it.
    And because I purchased Growlanser Generations.
    Ben Roethlisberger is a huge dickhead...I have proof.

WHO DEY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer
    Plus I've already played them, so it matters not.

And I hated Wild Arms 2, so if Wild Arms 3 is anything like it...
    Though I personaly liked it, I'd say that 2 was the worst of the series. You might enjoy 1 and 3, but if at all possible, give them a shot before buying. 1's gameplay is a lot more "traditional" than 3's, though.

I'm really looking forward to Alter Code F. I'm upset that WA4 isn't coming out over here. >_<

Thread Information