Thread: Favorite FF's

FF7: A++
    FFX: A+
    FF5: A+
    FF6: A+
    FF4: A
    FF8: A
    FFT: C+

I never liked FFT, but my opinion about it slowly grows.
    There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's guntheft.

Cute Li'l UFO Sakura Christopher's Avatar
    Final Fantasy VI
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy Tactics advance *0* !!!!

n8archer_XI
    FF VII: all U need; best story on an RPG ever, but if UR not a sob-sob, play FF XI

Quote Originally Posted by n8archer_XI
    FF VII: all U need; best story on an RPG ever, but if UR not a sob-sob, play FF XI
    GAH. Must... resist... urge... to rant...
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

In order of preference:

1. Final Fantasy VI (98%)
    Face it, FF6 is the best RPG ever made. I have yet to find a major flaw in this game. True, this might be the first FF I ever played, but my bias towards that is very slight. FF6 is simply an excellent game.
    2. Final Fantasy VIII (95%)
    FF8 is pretty under rated. People whine about the sci-fi setting, and the junction system. True, the game is complex, but if you don't like FF8, chances are the reason is because you're too stupid to understand the game mechanics. Plus, this is the first one I actually owned, and the sci-fi setting is pretty cool.
    3. Final Fantasy IV (93%)
    Back in the day when men were men and Edward was a spoony bard, FF4 truly ruled. Sure, the graphics aren't the greatest and the balance is poor, but FF4 is something a lot of modern games aren't - just plain fun.
    4. Final Fantasy VII (88%)
    FF7 is simply the most over-rated game ever made. The fanboyism towards Cloud and Sephiroth is so huge and so incredibly stupid, it makes we want to make an entire website that is one massive rant about how Sephiroth sucks, how the fanboys are stupid and how FF6 > FF7. Plus, the ammount of prequels, sequels and merchandise for this game doesn't help. But when you get past all the emo retards that get a boner when they see a picture of Sephiroth, FF7 is a pretty decent game. The graphics are ugly, the story is flawed, the interface is cluttered and its at times too easy, but for some inexplicible reason, the game is just very enjoyable. The fact that you have a massive sword probably helps.
    5. Final Fantasy XI (85%)
    This game gets unfairly bashed all the time. I would go for FFXI over World of Warcrap anyday. Granted, its not perfect. The game's major flaw is the huge inflation on most servers (Fairy, the one I'm on, is probably one of the worst) but that's the fault of IGE's RMT and the players who participate in it, and not Square's. Also, XI has so many jobs its hard to keep them balanced, but luckily, as a Red Mage, that doesn't really effect me as I always get party invites. =p On the good side, XI has a strong sense of community, and if you get a good linkshell and make lots of friends, you can have better experinces than any single player game.
    6. Final Fantasy X (84%)
    FF10 is a good game. Not great, but good. The characters are annoying (except for Aruon and Lulu) but FF10 has the best battle engine to date, and the sphere grid is decent.
    7. Final Fantasy V (82%)
    FF5 is decent. I like being able to choose jobs and that keeps the game from being too linear. However, the story is a little on the weak side.
    8. Final Fantasy IX (80%)
    FF9 is just ok. Stiener and Vivi are the only good characters, I don't like the new trance system, summoning plays a minor role and much of the game is just recycled from previous ones. It's not the greatest FF, but there's way worse ones.
    9. Final Fantasy III (75%)
    Like all the NES FF games, FF3 is kinda weak. It was the first game to use the job system that was later copied in V and XI, but sadly, it just isnt very fun.
    10. Final Fantasy (72%)
    The story is basically non-existant, and it just gets fustraiting.
    11. Final Fantasy II (65%)
    FF2 is simply the worst of the numbered FF games. As its an NES game, its already weak, so the completely awful level and magic system doesn't help. FF2 is one of the few Final Fantasy games that feels like a chore to play.

MISC. GAMES

Final Fantasy Tactics
    I honestly haven't played through it, so I can't say. I've only gotten through the frst two chapters, and they were fairly decent. I'm not a huge fan of Tactical RPGs, though.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    I really don't like this game. There are too many rules, laws, races, jobs, weapons, etc. that you need to manage. There is just so much mircromanaging that the game becomes totally overwhelming.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals
    An interesting idea, merge Secret of Mana with Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy, that went horribly wrong. First of all, I don't know four people who each have a GBA an a link cable, I won't buy all of that myself, and I could not force anyone to play this. Its a hack and slash game that doesn't even play well. This game is a load of crap.

Final Fantasy X-2
    They took a good game and made a sequel that put it to shame. Bad story, dopey characters, an asinine missions that are just a chore.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    No comment. =p
    Last edited by Eitheta; 02-01-2006 at 08:03 PM.

Necropost, anyone?

Wait, what the fuck? You're basing FFI and FFII as bad MERELY BECAUSE THEY ARE ON THE NES?

Chill, Im not bashing 1&2 merely because they are on the NES. There are tons of NES games that rule. Super Mario, Metroid, Mega Man, Zelda, the list goes on. Super Mario Bros. 3 and Kirby's Adventure are two of my favorite games ever.

Its just that the NES Final Fantasy games suck hard. The NES versions of these games are seriously a chore to play through. After an enemy dies, if you targeted him before, you won't hit another enemy, the magic system is a pain, etc. etc. Its a general rule that FF games on the NES aren't the greatest.

Also, I'm not talking about the remakes, I'm talking about the originals. Origins is still almost the same, but the GBA update makes FF1 decent and actually playable. The addition of MP and some other features that showed up in the SNES games onwards really help it. Still, the GBA version of FF2 still sucks, the game's engine is still just awful.
    Last edited by Eitheta; 02-01-2006 at 08:07 PM.

[QUOTE]4. Final Fantasy VII (88%)
    FF7 is simply the most over-rated game ever made. The fanboyism towards Cloud and Sephiroth is so huge and so incredibly stupid, it makes we want to make an entire website that is one massive rant about how Sephiroth sucks, how the fanboys are stupid and how FF6 > FF7. Plus, the ammount of prequels, sequels and merchandise for this game doesn't help. But when you get past all the emo retards that get a boner when they see a picture of Sephiroth, FF7 is a pretty decent game. The graphics are ugly, the story is flawed, the interface is cluttered and its at times too easy, but for some inexplicible reason, the game is just very enjoyable. The fact that you have a massive sword probably helps.[QUOTE]

When I played I thought wow. this is good. I did not see any flamboyant ads or ravings, or anything like that. not a damn thing. Same with ten and eight all I was like was."Oh I remember FF. Sure I'll get it. I loved the first game I played."So I bought it.
    They rocked. So dont give low ratings because you put your expectations for games of that time too high. You can only truely review when the games themselves sway your decisios away from nuetrality.
    old chinese proverb : The saying, 'May your life be interesting.' Is the worst curse possible.

Heloderma suspectum
    Quote Originally Posted by Eitheta
    I really don't like this game. There are too many rules, laws, races, jobs, weapons, etc. that you need to manage. There is just so much mircromanaging that the game becomes totally overwhelming.
    Wow, you're one hell of a wuss. Well, ok, I take that back. You did say you aren't a fan of tactical rpgs, but seriously FFTA isn't that complicated. It's on the GBA after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Simmer!...ugh
    FF7 is simply the most over-rated game ever made. The fanboyism towards Cloud and Sephiroth is so huge and so incredibly stupid, it makes we want to make an entire website that is one massive rant about how Sephiroth sucks, how the fanboys are stupid and how FF6 > FF7. Plus, the ammount of prequels, sequels and merchandise for this game doesn't help. But when you get past all the emo retards that get a boner when they see a picture of Sephiroth, FF7 is a pretty decent game. The graphics are ugly, the story is flawed, the interface is cluttered and its at times too easy, but for some inexplicible reason, the game is just very enjoyable. The fact that you have a massive sword probably helps.

When I played I thought wow. this is good. I did not see any flamboyant ads or ravings, or anything like that. not a damn thing. Same with ten and eight all I was like was."Oh I remember FF. Sure I'll get it. I loved the first game I played."So I bought it.
    They rocked. So dont give low ratings because you put your expectations for games of that time too high. You can only truely review when the games themselves sway your decisios away from nuetrality.

IT IS HIS OPINIONNNNNNnnnnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Simmer!...ugh
    First of all, 88% is not a low rating. FF7 is a damn good game. A good game that is grossy over rated, that is good, but not as good as people make it out to be. I played FF7 before I saw all the rabid fanboyism, I never saw the ads, I had played it without knowing all the hype as you did. I just didn't like it as much, as I've played FF games that I like better.

Part of what gets me pissed off is that FF6 blows 7 totally out of the water, and it along with some other great FF games are basically ignored while FF7 gets a lot of undeserved attention. I haven't seen a movie about the return of Kefka, a cell phone game starring Biggs and Wedge or a game staring Shadow on the PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gila-Monster
    Wow, you're one hell of a wuss. Well, ok, I take that back. You did say you aren't a fan of tactical rpgs, but seriously FFTA isn't that complicated. It's on the GBA after all!
    It's a huge freakin' ammount of micromanaging. I hate having to level 20 characters, making sure I have the proper balance of jobs, each race has the right jobs, each character gets the right equipment so they get the right abilities, each character gets a set of particular jobs, that I get rare items in missions that I could miss later on, god the list goes on. It's just too many variables to account for. You got 20 characters to manage, you have to keep them leveled, battles are long, redundant and boring, and there's virtually no storyline to help you through. XI is basically the same thing, but you're only managing 1 character as opposed to 20 at once, and at least the story and boss battles are cool, and you get cool stuff that makes all the tedious level grinding worthwile. Plus, I like FF games where you can hold down X so your characters just automatically fight and win the battle with zero effort. ;p
    Last edited by Eitheta; 02-02-2006 at 02:45 AM.

"Poteaux de M. Heavyfoot sur l'Internet" BlueMageOne's Avatar
    Five was the best one obviously. I mean the main character's name was Butz. That's pretty darn funny if you ask me.
    Change background to blue for best results.

Heloderma suspectum
    Quote Originally Posted by Eitheta
    It's a huge freakin' ammount of micromanaging. I hate having to level 20 characters, making sure I have the proper balance of jobs, each race has the right jobs, each character gets the right equipment so they get the right abilities, each character gets a set of particular jobs, that I get rare items in missions that I could miss later on, god the list goes on. It's just too many variables to account for. You got 20 characters to manage, you have to keep them leveled, battles are long, redundant and boring, and there's virtually no storyline to help you through. XI is basically the same thing, but you're only managing 1 character as opposed to 20 at once, and at least the story and boss battles are cool, and you get cool stuff that makes all the tedious level grinding worthwile. Plus, I like FF games where you can hold down X so your characters just automatically fight and win the battle with zero effort. ;p
    20 characters? what are you talking about, I only used 6 or 7 regularly, 10 at most. It's really not that complicated. There's story in FFTA aswell, not to mention the battles require a level of strategy, which automatically ups the fun factor. But I'm just a big fan of that style of game, I understand that you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gila-Monster
    There's story in FFTA as well...
    Yeah, 4 kids get transported into a video game. 3 want to stay, you want to go back. Quest to turn things back the way they were. Some storyline... very gripping.

FFTA's storyline is downright assy compared to FFT.

Thats right. Assy.

Gila is absolutely right. You only need to use five or six characters in the entire game.

That said, read here to find out why FFTA is a piece of shit.
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

[QUOTE=Eitheta]First of all, 88% is not a low rating. FF7 is a damn good game. A good game that is grossy over rated, that is good, but not as good as people make it out to be. I played FF7 before I saw all the rabid fanboyism, I never saw the ads, I had played it without knowing all the hype as you did. I just didn't like it as much, as I've played FF games that I like better.

Part of what gets me pissed off is that FF6 blows 7 totally out of the water, and it along with some other great FF games are basically ignored while FF7 gets a lot of undeserved attention. I haven't seen a movie about the return of Kefka, a cell phone game starring Biggs and Wedge or a game staring Shadow on the PS2.
    QUOTE]

I used feel like my favorite RPG FFIX was ignored also. Until I realized that none of the FF's (at least all the ones since FF7) were really recieving hype around their releases and all recieved good ratings on numerous websites and magazines. They are all great games in my opinion(except for FFVIII, which I just personally hate so much), and FFIX is my personal favorite rpg. FF7 is the most popular just because it was the game that revolutionized not just the series, but the entire RPG genre. It was the first 3D RPG released(at least in North America) and was able to stand out much more than the 2D RPG's could. Before FF7, the RPG market in North America and Europe was literally a niche of what the market the genre had in Japan(many 2D-era RPG's including FFII, FFIII, and FFV were either never released in North America/Europe or weren't until after FFVII).

***WARNING***the next paragraph is a summary of my history with video games from 1996-2000. If you aren't interested in my game history or just don't like reading LONG paragraphs, and would prefer just learning the bottom line, you can skip over to the paragraph entitled Bottom Line.

The only RPG I had ever heard of back then was Super Mario RPG for the SNES. I understood what an RPG was like when I watched my brother play. I guess I sorta liked it since it was simply a game longer than any other game I had(I was only 6 years old and didn't have any other RPG's, and Mario was the icon that stood out to my brother after seeing it an old issue of Nintendo Power). He played it and got interested in RPG's, but he was old enough to understand RPG concepts. Unlike him, I couldn't really get passed one part without either avoiding all other battles or fighting battles with his help(I usually ran from most fights). Plus, Super Mario RPG didn't have such a good story or unique characters like most other RPGs do, and there were only 5 playable characters(perhaps you like FFVI the best because it had more playable characters than any other FF to date, although I could be wrong). I originally bought the PS1 just so I could have my own system(my brother had the N64, and the Playstation had more intresting games out then the Saturn). I got it on my 8th birthday along with many games I don't remember and a demo of FFVII. I played it, and while I quickly recognized it as an RPG, I just didn't feel interested in it. While I did like the characters, I personally didn't think the science-fiction theme was my type of style. I have always preferred a more Fantasy-like style in games. Sure, Breath of Fire III was more Fantasy-like, but the characters weren't cool. I just felt like I needed a good presentation to keep me motivated to finish the games. While I definitly enjoyed Castlevania SotN, it is similar to Zelda but much cooler. It had more action than normal RPGs. I guess FFIX just seemed to be the game that met the expectations to get my attention. After my brother started to get bored with all of the N64 games he was playing(most of the games that came out for the N64 in 2000 just used the same format as other N64 games), he looked at the RPGs at the PS1(RPGs were the PS1 games he was interested in). And FFIX just happened to be the newest RPG out, and the newer games are usually better than the old ones. After I saw the game, I realized that the game was just my type and I got into playing it. As far as the other RPGs that I have played, I was either attracted to RPGs with unique battle systems, other FF titles(after finding out that Chocobos and Moogles are reoccurring races(they were big in FFIX) I just couldn't resist their charm!!!) or ones with ongoing stories such as Kingdom Hearts. After my cousin accused me of being a horrible battler, I was tempted to play all RPGs. But FFIX is still the one that I grew up on and will always remain my favorite.

Bottom Line

Most people were introduced to RPGs by FFVII and grew up on it, just like I grew up on FFIX. And the games that people grow up on are usually there favorites. As far as FFVII getting spin-offs and the games that followed not being as succesfull, that is just because some people only get the RPGs that follow their style, which is how I felt until my temptation to get better at battling took over me. Most people just happened to like FFVII's style better than the styles of the other games(FFVII is more futuristic than the older FF's but at least wasn't too real that it was all about depressed teens like FFVIII was). And they just didn't buy into the games that followed FFVII like they bought into FFVII. And obviously in result FF7 had the best sales and if SE was ever to choose a FF game to make spin-offs for(which they chose to do for reasons I will not discuss), the game that made the most sales and has the largest fan-base would be the best for buisness.
    "I do what I want! You have problem!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Quina
    Breath of Fire III was more Fantasy-like, but the characters weren't cool.
    Which is the ultimate proof that everyone has crappy taste. It has a dragon with elvis haircut, a dog with a bazooka, a buddhist gargoyle and a talking onion. What's cooler than that?

Spoiler: Honestly, I wasn't that much into the characters either, no one in the series is ever gonna beat the BoF2 crew. At least Ryu3 was better than the fourth.

Heloderma suspectum
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Dave
    Yeah, 4 kids get transported into a video game. 3 want to stay, you want to go back. Quest to turn things back the way they were. Some storyline... very gripping.

FFTA's storyline is downright assy compared to FFT.

Thats right. Assy.
    Point taken. Nonetheless, there is still storyline in FFTA, whether it's weak or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Setz
    Necropost, anyone?
    It's not a necropost. It's a stickied thread so that people won't make "favorite FF games" posts all the time.

"Sharks swim in water, there's water in the toilet. I rest my case." - Randal explaining his fear of using the bathroom alone on Clerks: The Animated Series
    "I bet your lymph nodes are as big as cats!" - Captain Murphy addressing the "sick kid" on SeaLab 2021
    "ROCK LOBSTER!" - Peter singing a song to calm down Cleveland on Family Guy
    "I go to the Subbery Sandwich restaurant and I leave my Subbery Sandwich restaurant value card at home EVERY TIME! I want... a free sandwich!" - Principal Scudworth explaining how disorganized he is on Clone High

Ronald McDonald, with the help of cheese soup, controls America from a secret Volkswagon - hidden in the past.

In news today: Mason-Dixon Line renamed to IHOP-Waffle House Line.

downside to viewing subscribed thread page it no show stickies

Ludifer

Hi everyone I just registered. I immediatly went on this because it says FF... Anyway my personal preference to the FF series has got to be 8. The fight and junction system is really easy and all the fights in the game are easy. But it's my abslute fav for the story. I agree 7 is overrarted. Yes I agree it is an excellent gaame, but not the best FF game. And again 6 is to me also one of the best. I love Terra. Being half-esper? Cool! I personally want Square to remake 6 in 10 graphics. I would love to see Terra in her Esper form, not that pink thing they make her out to be... The order I like them in is: 8,6,7,10,9 the others I haven't really played. I actually played and completed, yes completed, FF tactics advance! I had the patience to do it in. I got all the secret characters and everything...it was quite fun. Storyline was crap though.

1.Final Fantasy IX
    2.Final Fantasy VIII
    3.Final Fantasy IV
    4.Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
    5.Final Fantasy V
    6.Final Fantasy Tactics
    7.Final Fantasy VI
    8.Final Fantasy III
    9.Kingdom Hearts
    10.Final Fantasy VII
    11.Final Fantasy X
    12.Final Fantasy I
    13.Final Fantasy X-2
    14.Final Fantasy II

I havent played:
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
    Final Fantasy XI
    Kingdom Hearts II
    Last edited by Zhare; 08-22-2006 at 06:43 AM.

Squall
    I'm voting on just the ones I've played, and actually completed:

1. Final Fantasy VIII
    2. Final Fantasy VII
    3. Final Fantasy VI
    4. Final Fantasy IV

Well My Ratings for the final fantasy games would have to go like this (ratings for the only ff games i play)

FF IX A+
    FF VII A+
    FF X A-
    FF X-2 A
    FF VIII A
    FF TA B+
    FF 1 C
    FF 2 D- ( this game was the s***s i unno wut was wrong with square when they made this game)

There r more but im too lazy to type them all in

final fantasy VI A+
    final fantasy IX A-
    final fantasy VIII B+
    final fantasy X B+
    final fantasy X-2 B-
    final fantasy VI B-
    final fantasy V B-

Who does almost all rate FF2 as the worst? ;.;

FFX-A+
    FFIX-A+
    FFVII-A+

ive played a few more but im lazy and i think these three were the best

FFVII-A+
    FFVIII-A+
    FFVI-A+
    FFX-A+
    FFX2-B-(played thru agian so C-)
    FFXI- NEVER PLAYED
    FFIX-A
    FFI-A+
    FFII(FAMICOM)-F I HATED IT
    FFIII(FAMICOM)- A-
    FFIV- A+
    FV-A+ I hade alot of fun with this one
    FFMYSTIC qUEST- C

I've played FFLENGENDS1-3 and Tactics and Crystal Chronicles and they were all pretty good
    Last edited by NealMan; 09-28-2006 at 06:31 PM.

Red face

Here are my favorites, in order ^^
    Final Fantasy IX- Because it just doesn't have the love it should have! I mean, it is a great Final Fantasy! It's sad that some people automatically bypass it because of the way it looks.
    Favorite character- Zidane or Ruby
    Least Fav.- Steiner
    Final Fantasy X- It was the first FF that I played, and I absolutely fell in love with most of the characters. I loved the story, and it still remains the only game to have me in tears.
    Fav. Character- Yuna or Rikku
    Least- Seymour T^T
    Final Fantasy VIII- Just something about a purely story driven Final Fantasy gets me pumped! I love well developed stories, and FF VIII had me hooked from the start.
    Fav.- Selphie
    Least- Squall
    Final Fantasy X-2- My least favorite of the FF's that I have played. I mean, it was an OK game, but it just wasn't a Final Fantasy. It was just a buttload of mostly boring mini games.

I never actually played alot of FFVII. It is the single most over rated game ever, and I just don't understand why.

Those are my opinions, and may not neccessarily reflect those of other people ^^ Though I would love to meet more people who like FFIX.
    Last edited by Yunabug; 06-15-2006 at 05:56 PM.

To Eitheta: Final Fantasy I is the only reason we still have the makers of Final Fantasy. They had 1 last chance to make a game, FF I was it. I liked it, open, clean.

FF I
    FF IX
    FF X
    FF VII

In that order my favorites. The reason FF VII is last is because I've been convinced the only reason I love it is because it was the first RPG I played.

Thread Information