Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hironobu Sakaguchi left Squaresoft?

Mi-Mi-Mikuru Beam! Dragons Revenge's Avatar

Hironobu Sakaguchi left Squaresoft?

When the hell did this happen? He pretty much made the studio. Does that mean he's lost possession of Final Fantasy? That' pretty bizarre.

For the Light, Bitch. Izlude1984's Avatar
    So how many squaresoft employees have left thusfar?
    Lightforge, lol

Well there was the whole monolith soft team (Xenogears/saga), him, and Nobuo Uematsu, as far as I know.

Pokey
    There's a whole other development team in Japan made up entirely of former Square talent, but I forgot the name (it was Brown something, I think..)

Do they have ANYONE left from the Square Golden Age?
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

Well, Uematsu is staying on as a freelancer, so he'll be doing things. So is Amano, I believe. I'm pretty sure a lot of the behind-the-scenes folks like Ken Narita (head programmer) are still in there. And depending on when you think "the golden age" was, you can include Tetsuya Nomura too.

I'm still feeling the loss of the Monolith guys and Masato Katou.

Didn't Sakaguchi have a company of his own? Mist Walker or something?
    Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?! - The Protagonist. Baldur's Gate I

I am not sure if it was posted already, but here is a short list of SE "refugees":
    In the last few years, there had been more resignations by big names working at the world’s leading RPG creator. Uematsu follows the footsteps of Shinichi Kameoka (Seiken Densetsu), Yasunori Mitsuda (composer), Masato Katou (Chrono series), Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy) and recently Kazushige Nojima (Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, X-2 and Kingdom Hearts series).
    http://www.ffwa.org/fullstory/22

Edit: as for Uematsu, Cid is right:
    It certainly shouldn’t mean the end of Uematsu music in future installments of the Final Fantasy series. Musicians never truly quit.
    Last edited by Seifer; 12-02-2004 at 12:05 PM.

Pokey
    Does anyone know if Kenichiro Fukui still works for Square? Or for that matter, anything about him other than his name? I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Of Zeal
    Does anyone know if Kenichiro Fukui still works for Square? Or for that matter, anything about him other than his name? I'm interested.
    He was still there in 2003.
    Final Fantasy: The Black Mages
    Original Composition: Nobuo Uematsu
    Arrangement Composition: Nobuo Uematsu, Tsuyoshi Sekito and Kenichiro Fukui
    http://www.rpgamers.net/VGMReview.cfm?vgmreviewid=94

Some of his work for SE
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - Battle Scene (Final Fantasy I) (4:19)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - Battle Theme (Final Fantasy VI) (3:21)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - Battle, Scene II (Final Fantasy II) (3:52)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - Clash on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) (4:16)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI) (12:04)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - Fight With Seymour (Final Fantasy X) (5:05)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - Force Your Way (Final Fantasy VIII) (3:51)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - J-E-N-O-V-A (Final Fantasy VII) (6:08)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - The Decisive Battle (Final Fantasy VI) (4:02)
    Tsuyoshi Sekito, Kenichiro Fukui - Those Who Fight Further (Final Fantasy VII)
    http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/blackmage/

Dammit! What the hell is with all these people leaving Square!? I remember always seeing Hironobu's name in the credits and loving him for making such magnificent games. Who the hell will replace him?

Quote Originally Posted by Barret VII
    Dammit! What the hell is with all these people leaving Square!? I remember always seeing Hironobu's name in the credits and loving him for making such magnificent games. Who the hell will replace him?
    These guys have been producing as well as Sakaguchi: Yoshinori Kitase(FFX, FFX-2), Yuji Horii(Dragon Quest 1~8), Yasumi Matsuno(Ogre Battle Series, FF Tactics and Advance, Vagrant Story and FFXII), Yoshiharu Gotanda(Star Ocean Series, Valkyrie Profile, Radiata Stories), Toshiro Tsuchida(Front Mission Series), Akitoshi Kawazu(SaGa Series, Racing Lagoon) and Takashi Tokita(Live-A-Live, Hanjuku Hero Series, The Bouncer, etc...). Square-Enix has become much larger since the fusion.

From what I see, the number of Squaresoft people leaving is at the same rate as George Bush's cabinet...

Well, I thought it was funny...

Runaway Dog
    Who is Hironobu Sakaguchi?

Holy crap... FIVE YEARS. That is a new necrothread record, peoples!

GER~NADE!! Something's got to change! Killmore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidolfas View Post
    Holy crap... FIVE YEARS. That is a new necrothread record, peoples!
    Not quite...

http://agora.rpgclassics.com/showthread.php?t=9502
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

Wow, I completely forgot I made this thread. Has it been five years already? Damn..
    CHECK THIS RIFF, IT'S FUCKING TASTY!

So what is it with new users and them friggin necroposting threads that are like 3-4 years old? Some kind of stupidity or something else I'm not picking up on?

"Today's the day...the day we bring the end." -??? (Me?)

"Who am I? Like I told "him" before, I am a man of many names, but never one. Some refer to me as Persona, mask of the mind. But to that, I can merely say...I am simply me." - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Ultratech87 View Post
    So what is it with new users and them friggin necroposting threads that are like 3-4 years old? Some kind of stupidity or something else I'm not picking up on?
    Other forums online actually think it's more polite to revive older threads than to make newer ones. And then there is the fact that not everyone pays attention to the "date and time posted" part of a post. Also, It often becomes a choice of either "post in an old thread and get yelled for it" or "start a new thread and have people say 'didn't we have one of these just X amount of time ago?' " So at least with necroposting, it would be one less useless thread added to the front page. This is from my own observations, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral
    I don't get why it is most people think they can't have decent conversations with me. Do I sound like Conan the barbarian on the boards "URgh ARgh, EERRAAGHH Moo"?
    Hello, All! Don't forget this thread is here!

GG Crono 4: "Aim for the crotch" is the best slogan ever.
    GG Crono 4: For anything.
    GG Crono 4: Ever.
    GG Crono 4: In fact, existing products would be SO much better if they used that slogan.
    GG Crono 4: "Wiffle Ball: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Lawn Darts: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Tampax: Aim For The Crotch!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie Esker View Post
    Other forums online actually think it's more polite to revive older threads than to make newer ones. And then there is the fact that not everyone pays attention to the "date and time posted" part of a post. Also, It often becomes a choice of either "post in an old thread and get yelled for it" or "start a new thread and have people say 'didn't we have one of these just X amount of time ago?' " So at least with necroposting, it would be one less useless thread added to the front page. This is from my own observations, at least.
    But this just begs the question of why can't people be asred to read the goddamn rules? I'm pretty sure there's something in there stating "No Necroposting".
    My UberLete Sig! Brought to you by....The #1 threat to America Spoiler: BEARS!!! (That Shuffle!)

...Show of hands, who here actually reads the rules to forums that they join at first? I mean, I know I never do.

...Yes, so I'm playing devil's advocate here. I dunno, necroposting doesn't bug me so much anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral
    I don't get why it is most people think they can't have decent conversations with me. Do I sound like Conan the barbarian on the boards "URgh ARgh, EERRAAGHH Moo"?
    Hello, All! Don't forget this thread is here!

GG Crono 4: "Aim for the crotch" is the best slogan ever.
    GG Crono 4: For anything.
    GG Crono 4: Ever.
    GG Crono 4: In fact, existing products would be SO much better if they used that slogan.
    GG Crono 4: "Wiffle Ball: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Lawn Darts: Aim For The Crotch!"
    GG Crono 4: "Tampax: Aim For The Crotch!"

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie Esker View Post
    ...Show of hands, who here actually reads the rules to forums that they join at first? I mean, I know I never do.

...Yes, so I'm playing devil's advocate here. I dunno, necroposting doesn't bug me so much anymore.
    *Raises Hand*

I don't get why it's such a big deal. I mean, if the admin has such problem with necroposting, either lock so many pages worth of old threads to leave them open for those who do still want to read them, or delete them. It's stupid to leave them open to be responded to and then turn around and bitch the person out (especially if that person is new). And no, not everyone reads 'THE RULES" nor should they be expected to.

The Anime News Network forum is notorious for this (and other forms of "board nazism"), which I could go on for days.
    CHECK THIS RIFF, IT'S FUCKING TASTY!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons Revenge View Post
    And no, not everyone reads 'THE RULES" nor should they be expected to.
    I think most forum systems require you to agree to "THE RULES" before you create an account. As they say, ignorance of "THE RULES" is no excuse.
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

I'M A CONCEPT, WHAT ARE YOU? Nulani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killmore View Post
    But this just begs the question of why can't people be asred to read the goddamn rules? I'm pretty sure there's something in there stating "No Necroposting".
    There isn't. In fact, rule twelve would seem to encourage it.

I think a more interesting question is just how in the hell do they stumble upon these threads in the first place, they should be buried under hundreds of other newer threads more likely to catch a poster's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Nulani View Post
    There isn't. In fact, rule twelve would seem to encourage it.
    I guess that, after 4 years, I need to go back and reread the rules of the road.

Edit: Okay I see what you mean, but it still doesn't explain why this thread had to be revived.
    Last edited by Killmore; 12-14-2009 at 10:04 PM.

I'M A CONCEPT, WHAT ARE YOU? Nulani's Avatar
    He was evidently curious and hasn't heard of Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Nulani; 12-15-2009 at 05:14 AM.

I find it ironic that this thread is more active now than it was when Sakaguchi left Squeenix.

Sakaguchi left Squeenix?!
    She sensed intelligence behind this rigmarole, but it was meaningless to her.

...those who regard me as effete, arrogant, distanced. [Interviewer: All of which is true, of course.] [Banville:] Of course!

Thread Information