Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Romancing SaGa PS2 Remake!

Romancing SaGa PS2 Remake!

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2004/1814.html

Just read that. And here is the coolest part!

producer Akitoshi Kawazu's development team views the game as a compilation and hence will implement systems which are representative for the entire SaGa series, such as the free scenario system
    Romancing SaGa gets such an honor? Wow Aisha looks like your game is getting respect.
    I declare Sayaka (SaGa), Lynn (SaGa 2), Gloria (SaGa 3), Myriam (Romancing SaGa), Cat (Romancing SaGa 2), Tatyana (Romancing SaGa 3), Rei (SaGa Frontier), Meythia (SaGa Frontier 2) and Michelle (Unlimited SaGa) as "Miss SaGa" of their respective games. And my vote is greater than all!

I read the news this morning. I'm so happy, I might just use an emoticon.

My LiveJournal. Read at your own risk.

Once a Great Tit, Always a Great Tit Skankin' Garbage's Avatar
    Isn't RS1, like, Free Scenario already? :P

Anyways, this likes like a nice cosmetic facelift. I can't wait to hear revamped music, especially cos I wasn't fond of RS1's soundtrack :/ A lot of it sounded like a poor attempt at writing like Uematsu. That's not to say every track is bad though :D I would just be happy to see that Ito did another soundtrack, haha :P

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Spoiler: Magic (still) ROCKS!

http://jamieobeso.blogspot.com/ (updated 7/26/08)

Ummm... didn't Uematsu have a hand in the music for Romancing SaGa? I'm pretty sure he did with the GameBoy SaGas, and I thought he did have a small hand in Romancing SaGa games. Maybe not, I could very well be wrong. Though considering Ito would have worked with Uematsu early in his video game career, I'm sure that's why there would be any similarity.

Was Romancing SaGa free scenario? I haven't played i t because I can't read japanese, but I thought Romancing SaGa was a bit more linear, like the older SaGas. The Free Scenario stuff was introduced in RS2 if I'm not mistaken. Of course, maybe I am mistaken. It happens.

Regardless, I'm still thrilled about a Romancing SaGa game on the PS2, as shown by my use of another emoticon.

My LiveJournal. Read at your own risk.

Uematsu composed the first 2 SaGa games, with Ito Co-Composing the second. Uematsu gets credit in RS1 and 2, because the track "Heartful Tears" that Uematsu wrote for FFL1 and 2 was used in RS1 and 2. They also used the main theme of the Game Boy SaGa games in RS2, which was also originaly written by Uematsu. All other music in the Romancing SaGa series was done by Ito.

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Angry

Viewing this page at 800x600, 4 of Skankin's 5 lines begin with Uematsu.

This is some pretty awesome news. And I had no idea Uematsu did the first two games. I always thought Ito helmed the SaGa series.
    Well, this makes me doubly glad I bought a PS2.
    How is business? It is getting better.

Well to be honest "Free Scenario" was probably just an example. They just happened to use the key point that comes from Romancing SaGa itself.
    I declare Sayaka (SaGa), Lynn (SaGa 2), Gloria (SaGa 3), Myriam (Romancing SaGa), Cat (Romancing SaGa 2), Tatyana (Romancing SaGa 3), Rei (SaGa Frontier), Meythia (SaGa Frontier 2) and Michelle (Unlimited SaGa) as "Miss SaGa" of their respective games. And my vote is greater than all!

Kenji Ito is scoring Romancing SaGa : Minstrel Song ! w00t !

Source

Mew64
    will it be released in america

Who knows if it will come out to the U.S? If it doesn't I'll have to hope for importer to provides thing like story info, images and etc. But still I like the fact Kenji is doing the music. After all he did it the first time. And a new theme? I wonder if that means a singing song. Still I never heard of Masayoshi Yamazaki.

Mew64
    Hey, you changed your avatar again

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon God
    Kenji Ito is scoring Romancing SaGa : Minstrel Song ! w00t !

Source
    will it have origanal graphics or updates like ff origins
    or will you be able to choose between both?
    dont unwrap this spoiler
    Spoiler: I told you not to unwrap it

First yes I changed my avatar a few days ago. As for Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song, it's going to be a total remake. So the original graphics are probably not going to be in the game at all.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/roma...w_6108854.html has a nice look at what to expect from the game. Also there is a video you can download from http://www.squarenet.de/main.php?site=sn-news&id=1316

Demonic Petunia Richter_Belmont's Avatar
    Now that looks like It could a REALLY REALLY REALLY good RS! I like the town pic! I hope

you can move freely...

Finally, a game in The SaGa series I can actually look forward to. I didn't care for Unlimited SaGa. My fave in the series is still Romancing SaGa 3.
    Ben Roethlisberger is a huge dickhead...I have proof.

WHO DEY!!!!

Mew64
    Did unlimited saga succeed? If so they'll probly release this one.

Unlimited SaGa didn't do that well, but then again it seemed to be hated before it even came out. However there is still a chance RSM may come out here. Also RSM will have a more traditional graphics look and is supposedly going to be for novices and experts to the series alike. Eliminating the two major reasons people hate U.SaGa. The battle system is too complex and involved as well as the graphics are not uber enough.

http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=3134848 has some nice videos of the game in action. They give a few clues on what may be going on in terms of the battle system or something like that. A few not many.

Oh yes the official site has an official TGS trailer as it were.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/games/p...ler/index.html

In any case I couldn't stream it so I had to get some help from a person to have it downloaded and sent as a saved offline copy. But hey it does look pretty decent over all. However these are definitely new designs. It really is like a completely new game over all.

Angry

Blech. 3d is the worst thing you can do to an RPG. Maybe you can use it to create some extraordinary 3d maps, but there's no point in battle when all you do is choose Fight and watch your guy bust a cap on someone.

I'll just go play the RS1 rom.

3D is fine by me. I've grown past the stage for having a hatred for it. Which is good because it increases the amount of games I enjoy. Besides that what will matter most to me is the SaGa feel. In this case the battle system being changed may be a good thing since the original wasn't that balanced. And of course the graphics well if they kept the original I'd be fine. However over all what I want is the game at least. My main concerns are what will be added to the story and etc. What will bother me more is if things get cut. Ie they can change a design fine, but if they completely remove a character then I'll get mad. Either way again 3D isn't that bad.

Angry

"grown past" the hatred of 3d?
    I don't hate 3d. I think it has a myriad of uses. Sports games, FPS games, Action/adventure games, etc.
    But if you're using 3d to do what 2d can do quite adequately (and more beautifully, given good sprite artists) then resources are being wasted for no good reason. It's like screwing 200 watt bulbs into 60 watt outlets.

Sorry about that, I had the impression you had a complete hatred for 3D from your earlier post. However in my case regardless of genre I still don't care if a game is 2D or 3D. And that's where I will always stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyhalto
    "grown past" the hatred of 3d?
    I don't hate 3d. I think it has a myriad of uses. Sports games, FPS games, Action/adventure games, etc.
    But if you're using 3d to do what 2d can do quite adequately (and more beautifully, given good sprite artists) then resources are being wasted for no good reason. It's like screwing 200 watt bulbs into 60 watt outlets.
    I dunno, a lot of people like the looks of 3D. It just looks and feels more real. Besides, some battle systems take advantage of 3D environments, like Grandia, FFX-2, Vagrant Story and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. All of those games had excellent combat systems that would have been impossible to pull off with 2D graphics. In any case, many people like 3D style better, and from what I hear (From a quote by Victor Ireland, Working Designs president), Sony doesn't very frequently approve the production or US Localiztions of 2D games anymore anyways. The games pretty much have to be in 3D, even if the gameplay emulates a 2D style.

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

3d feels more real?

Pardon me, but: HAHAHAHAHAHA!

But seriously, if SaGa would be in 3D it would lose all its Saga-ish feeling to me. Some game simply won't go in 3D which is sticked in too many games nowadays.
    RS3 mailing group! Join at:
    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/abyssring

Join Jim Power in combat against the Mutant Planet!

The battles in Unlimited SaGa were already 3D backgrounds with 2D sprites. What do you have to say about that? :P Furthermore, if 2D feels more real than 2D for you, you should get a new real life. :P Plus, read the rest of my post. If you wanna see it in the states, there's no way you'll be seeing it in 2D anyways, man. :/

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Skankin' Garbage
    I dunno, a lot of people like the looks of 3D. It just looks and feels more real. Besides, some battle systems take advantage of 3D environments, like Grandia, FFX-2, Vagrant Story and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. All of those games had excellent combat systems that would have been impossible to pull off with 2D graphics.
    You're absolutely right, although what you said fell into what I said (insert tongue smiley here). 3d has it's place where it can be used effectively.
    3d to have a dude walk horizontally across the screen : Wrong.
    3d to have a dude walk along and have the camera do closeups and stuff : Good.

You're also right on the fact that 2d games rarely make it here these days. Americans are impressed by pretty colors and spiffy effects, and the rest of the world knows it.
    Sad truth :(

It would be nice if 2D games had an easier chance of coming out here. It's not that I want a game to be 2D or 3D per say. I just don't like the idea of a game being blocked just because of graphics. If the creators of a game feel that 2D is what they want then a game should be 2D. They shouldn't be punished for showing their vision of how they want a game to look.

Yeah, I know. I mostly mentioned that because you made the statement, "3D is the worst thing you can do to an RPG." I thought you meant "No RPG should be done in 3D." My bad. :P

And yeah Ajora, it's pretty crappy. But, it's the sad truth of things now. If we ever wanna see Romancing SaGas remade, they're gonna be remade in 3D. Oh well. I actually am a big fan of aesthetic facelifts in games.

All my diggaz say WHAT!?

Thread Information